Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New GM/DM/Keeper need help pointing me to the right places

Hey folks, I have played on roll20 D&D and Cthulhu and for the first time trying to do a Cthulhu campaign with my friends that dragged me into this. However, I have some questions specific to Cthulhu and Roll20 and some that are more general Roll20 questions. If anyone could help me with the answers that would be awesome. First let me start with I am a Pro Member so I have access to those tools and functionality. Below are my questions 1. Compendiums: In game there is that i informational tab that for Cthulhu at least has five categories like Items. I noticed that the 2 Marketplace items for Cthulhu and the default Cthulhu item list show up here now. Problems     A) There are now duplicate entries in the list. Example There may be 3 entries for .22 Revolver all identical or close to it that come from the 3 sources. Would be nice if I could somehow filter out items from the list that are identical or even better if it at least did it automatically where it could.     B) Cthulhu can be played in multiple time periods the default one being the 1920's. However the item list includes everything from the 3 sources which may include items from the 1990's etc in some cases at least it mentions in the description when it is available. A way to break these lists into time periods or just filter out things that are not available. I plan on doing some time hopping so ideally in my case filter them out and make certain lists by era available depending on where the players are. Also magical tomes etc show up by default it seems as well.     C) The items list gets quite long and while you can filter on it, the ability to have sub categories like weapons, household items etc would be nice.     D) Is there a way to add items to these list manually and is there a way to alter an entry. I get these are coming form published materials I have purchased but such list of items are things I would naturally filter or add too. 2. I see people use Cthulhu roll able tables that then can then link into Macros etc of their creation to automate some of the tables that come out of the rule book, or investigators guide etc Do these things exist somewhere with what I purchased or fan created things that I can just add in vs manually creating a 100 line items table? I will stop there for now though I have tons of other questions.. some of which i seen answers in the forums and will go research some on my own.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Svet,&nbsp; I apologize for the delay in getting back to you. I saw this awhile ago but I've been ill.&nbsp; Which character sheet are you using? If you don't know the name a screenshot would help.&nbsp; Also, could you screenshot the compendium resources you are using? This would help me answer your questions.&nbsp; You can find the compendium list by going to&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/welcome" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/welcome</a> &nbsp;then clicking on your game's name (not Launch). Then click on the Settings, followed by Game Settings, then Compendium Settings.&nbsp;
Let me try again here is compendium view. The character sheet is the 7th edition one loaded. I can grab the screen shot again if needed
Gauss
Forum Champion
Once again I apologize for the delay, I can finally answer some of the questions you initially posted.&nbsp; 1A. Duplicate entries are actually an important feature of the Compendium because duplicates may be not the same. To borrow from DnD 5e, there have been changes to some NPCs depending on the source. So leaving that may be important.&nbsp; What is more, the system has no way of knowing if the information is the same or not.&nbsp; With that said, it is probably up to the person coding it. Again, to use the DnD 5e example, some sources replace other sources completely so you do not see them (PHB replaces SRD, EK replaces PHB, etc) so that has to be an option for the person(s) coding the compendium.&nbsp; I would ask the games publisher if they would do that regarding your duplication of sources, but the answer would probably be no as there is no monetary incentive for them to go back and do so.&nbsp; 1B) At this time there does not appear to be a way to do this. But, I will circle back to 1A with the answer that it is probably doable since a similar thing can be done with DnD 5e's spells, monsters etc. Again, it would require the publisher paying someone to make the coding changes.&nbsp; 1C) You mentioned you were filtering the items list, I am not seeing that functionality, how are you doing that? 1D) There is no current way to add custom entries to the Compendium. It is something that there is a suggestion for in the Suggestion Forum:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2940484/custom-compendium/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2940484/custom-compendium/?pagenum=1</a> 2. My guess is they are 100% fan created things. Tables are not usually for sale except as part of a module or add-on. If you need help with advice on how to make the tables please let me know.&nbsp; Also, since you have a Pro account it may be worth investigating if a Mod script can be written to make the tables, but that may be as much or more work than actually making the table.&nbsp;

Edited 1683923932
Hey thanks for all that. not the answers I was hoping for but they were the ones I was expecting. And I might have misspoke, I said I wanted to filter not that I could. And a pro account I have, I was trying to avoid create some of the longer tedious tables etc. I think I read that i could create a compendium..wondering if I could export from existing ones and then filter cleanup add and create a custom one just for my use not sale as I could not legally share that which was created by the game companies. Perhaps even collaborate with a few people who also play the game and own the books/compendiums already.