Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Avatar Names cover text input for chat

I usually have avatars set to Names Only to maximize viewing area on the map.  2 weeks ago, the names would stop at the edge of the map area and continue on a new line below.  Now they carry over into the chat bar area, and block view of the text input box, making it difficult to see what I'm typing.  Is this the WAI?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi The Bard, Could you supply a screenshot so we can better understand what is happening?
Difficult without having my players logged in, since it doesn't overlap the text input box unless enough people are logged in.  Still... The bottom part of the screen, showing the area for video/avatars/Names Only: The bottom part, showing the path the Names Only avatars would take 2 weeks ago, when enough players were logged in: The bottom part, showing the path the Names Only avatars now take - both for myself and for my players: Switching to Small for the avatars instead of Names Only causes them to not be as wide, which prevents the spillover into the chat window (for my table - with enough players logged in it might cross into the chat as well, but I don't have enough players to test that), but also makes them taller cutting into viewing area for the map.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which voice and video system are you using?  Could you supply a screenshot when you have a game again so we can see the effect? I know this may take some time until your next game session but it would be helpful to document the problem. 
We play through text only using the in-game chat.  These are my current settings for A/V: Our next game is Thursday.  I will grab screenshots of the overlap then.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Something you can try, after the screenshot please, is to try switching from Legacy WebRTC to None.

Edited 1682832996
Hi, came here to report the same issue. I have set Chat tech to none and we use discord for voice.
I'm having this as well, in every game that has enough people logged in.  It seems to be a global issue from the number of people I hear complain about it, the only saving grace is it'll only affect games who have enough people logged in at once, which I doubt will be that big a fraction. Doesn't only cover what you're typing, but the most recent entries in chat as well.
This happens in all games
First screenshot using the same settings (Legacy): Second screenshot using the "None" setting: As a temporary workaround, I can drag the input area to extend further upward, so as long as I don't type anything too verbose then I can still see what I'm typing.

Edited 1683304553
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Everyone,  It definitely looks like there is an issue here. Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything I or any users can suggest to help with this, so I suggest filing a bug report with the Devs via the Help Center .  I would definitely include a link to this thread in your bug report and a screenshot of the problem. 

Edited 1683317250
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
FWIW, devs are aware of the issue. I don't know how difficult it will be for them to fix this without breaking the other, needed, improvements that broke the user area wrap. Hopefully it's a simple fix.

Edited 1683321848
keithcurtis said: FWIW, devs are aware of the issue. I don't know how difficult it will be for them to fix this without breaking the other, needed, improvements that broke the user area wrap. Hopefully it's a simple fix. And if they fix it for the current VTT Design, I seriously hope they will fix it for the upcoming design as well... ;)
Workaround (for me, since it doesn't matter which Chat Tech I use as I only use text): the "Integrated Voice & Video" option, rather than Legacy or None, has smaller boxes for the Names Only, apparently?  And it also wraps, like Legacy used to:

Edited 1683863704
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Everyone,  The Devs inform me that this should now be resolved. Please post if this is not fixed for you.  As a reminder, you may need to perform a hard refresh (Ctrl+F5 or CMD+Shift+R) to see the fix. 
The problem persists for me when using either the Legacy WebRTC tech or None, even after a hard refresh.  The Integrated Voice & Video wraps as pictured in the screenshot above.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, thanks for the information The Bard, I will pass this along.

Edited 1686091643
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This fix should be live for Legacy and None. If it isn't please report here.