Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
D&D 2024 has arrived! Pre-order the new core rulebooks now and get an exclusive pre-order bonus for free!
Create a free account

Can a GM add a macro to a player's macro bar?

I have a few macros that I wrote for my players to use. I've added the macros to their character sheets under the Attributes and Abilities tab, but then I have to talk them through how to get to that tab and check the boxes for adding then to their macro bar or creating a token action. For most players this is easy to explain; not so for others. Is there a way for me as GM to do this for them?
1684785290

Edited 1684785327
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, you can set up Collection tab macros for a players Macro bar, they still have to checkmark them in the Collection tab though.  However, if you set up Collection tab or Ability macros for the Token Action bar, that requires no input on the player's side.  How I handle it is a step by step instruction with the player, followed by showing me screenshots. 
Rick A. said: I have a few macros that I wrote for my players to use. I've added the macros to their character sheets under the Attributes and Abilities tab, but then I have to talk them through how to get to that tab and check the boxes for adding then to their macro bar or creating a token action. For most players this is easy to explain; not so for others. Is there a way for me as GM to do this for them? You can write a macro and then decide which of your players is able to see / use the macro in his / her collection tab. They can put it to their Macro bar themselves...
Or you can write the macros into the abilities on their character sheet.  I use the API !Chardup to copy these from a master sheet to all my player sheets.  
See, that's the issue: I have a player who has trouble remembering where to even look to cast spells or make attacks using their character sheet. (D&D5e by Roll20). Walking them through where to find the macros and the checkboxes (then walking them through again when they inevitably click the wrong checkbox) is frustrating for me, them, and the rest of the players who are patiently waiting for us. I managed to painstakingly walk them through setting up the few macros I created for their character. Now, they have a new character for whom I want the same macros set up, but they don't want to "go through all that again" and aren't willing to set them up for this new character, even though they used those macros extensively on the previous character. Fortunately, most of the macros I give the players can be set up as token actions. One, pingMe! by Nick Olivo, can't be set up as a token action because it's used by the player to find and center their token on the map if the token is off screen.  It would be convenient if I as GM could add that macro to a player's macro bar, but when I check the box on the character sheet, the macro appears on my macro bar but not theirs ; the macro bar seems to be tied to the player id instead of the character id . TheMarkus1204 said: You can write a macro and then decide which of your players is able to see / use the macro in his / her collection tab. They can put it to their Macro bar themselves... Gauss said: .. they still have to checkmark them in the Collection tab though.  How I handle it is a step by step instruction with the player, followed by showing me screenshots.  Will M.  said: Or you can write the macros into the abilities on their character sheet.  I use the API !Chardup to copy these from a master sheet to all my player sheets.  
1684862416
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Rick, you may want to look into Ping Buddy . It has some options like auto-follow that might be helpful.
Thanks Kieth, I'll look ito that. keithcurtis said: Rick, you may want to look into Ping Buddy . It has some options like auto-follow that might be helpful.
1684875402
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
How did I miss this one?  Very cool/useful. keithcurtis said: Rick, you may want to look into Ping Buddy . It has some options like auto-follow that might be helpful.
Macro bar is always tied to the player, not the character. If you want to write universal macros you can select the underlying sheet with @{target|Ability name or spell}. And to be even more convenient, you can have your players set them up as token actions. So they only appear if their token is selected. Rick A. said: See, that's the issue: I have a player who has trouble remembering where to even look to cast spells or make attacks using their character sheet. (D&D5e by Roll20). Walking them through where to find the macros and the checkboxes (then walking them through again when they inevitably click the wrong checkbox) is frustrating for me, them, and the rest of the players who are patiently waiting for us. I managed to painstakingly walk them through setting up the few macros I created for their character. Now, they have a new character for whom I want the same macros set up, but they don't want to "go through all that again" and aren't willing to set them up for this new character, even though they used those macros extensively on the previous character. Fortunately, most of the macros I give the players can be set up as token actions. One, pingMe! by Nick Olivo, can't be set up as a token action because it's used by the player to find and center their token on the map if the token is off screen.  It would be convenient if I as GM could add that macro to a player's macro bar, but when I check the box on the character sheet, the macro appears on my macro bar but not theirs ; the macro bar seems to be tied to the player id instead of the character id . TheMarkus1204 said: You can write a macro and then decide which of your players is able to see / use the macro in his / her collection tab. They can put it to their Macro bar themselves... Gauss said: .. they still have to checkmark them in the Collection tab though.  How I handle it is a step by step instruction with the player, followed by showing me screenshots.  Will M.  said: Or you can write the macros into the abilities on their character sheet.  I use the API !Chardup to copy these from a master sheet to all my player sheets.  
1685048252
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
TheMarkus1204 said: Macro bar is always tied to the player, not the character. If you want to write universal macros you can select the underlying sheet with @{target|Ability name or spell}. And to be even more convenient, you can have your players set them up as token actions. So they only appear if their token is selected. Rick A. said: One, pingMe! by Nick Olivo, can't be set up as a token action because it's used by the player to find and center their token on the map if the token is off screen.