Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Adventure Links not working

Edited 1684893689
Links in Light of Xaryxis adventure not working. When I click on the nothing seems to change. I rebooted just in case and have the same issue. I am using chrome and they seemed to be working fine about over an hour ago when I was on my Mac but just tested it and it's not working there either. I added roll20 against pop up blocking but it still does not work for pop-up or non-pop up links in the adventure alike. The rest of the UI works fine and the other links work fine. Weirdly it's only the adventure. Links is the rest of spelljammer are ok.

Edited 1684896667
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi TikiPhill,  Could you post a screenshot to an example link?
I am having the same issue with journal links not working. No change to game settings or chrome settings. Cleared all cache. No popup issues. Reloaded and restarted PC. Nothing. They were fine last week when I played, not so much tonight, along with auto rolls and such not working. I assume it is a website bug problem, as both games I am running worked really smoothly up until tonight. Hope it gets fixed. It really made navigating and playing difficult tonight without those features. 

Edited 1684951874
Gauss said: Hi TikiPhill,&nbsp; Could you post a screenshot to an example link? Like all these links. They just do nothing. Many others do work.&nbsp; (not in the adventure module), If I force them open in a new tab I get " This site can’t be reached" The url I get is : <a href="http://journal.roll20.net/character/-N7HqwA5wwkSD-TygC5_?_gl=1*jxwebc*_gcl_au*MjA3OTQ0OTMyMy4" rel="nofollow">http://journal.roll20.net/character/-N7HqwA5wwkSD-TygC5_?_gl=1*jxwebc*_gcl_au*MjA3OTQ0OTMyMy4</a>... (removed some text at the end just in case it's a unique identifier.)

Edited 1684903945
Gauss
Forum Champion
Confirmed, and I know those links were working correctly not long ago.&nbsp; I have let the Devs know.

Edited 1684907645
I am also experiencing a lot of links not working. It appears that all the links on my Handouts have stopped working, but the links on my Characters are still working. What the link is to, either a handout or character, seems to not matter. What determines if it's working or not is whether the link is from a character or from a handout. They were all working fine two days ago.

Edited 1684908449
Andrew Searles
Roll20 Team
Hey TikiPhill, Thanks for letting us know about this. We're going to get this taken care of really quickly. Sorry about any inconvenience for you in your games. Just to confirm what I am seeing. I don't think ALL links in handouts from published module are broken. I'm able to replicate this only on some links. Here are my Steps to Reproduce. I used the Curse of Strahd module to test with. Create new game with Curse of Strahd Module Open the console go to Curse of Strahd Table of Contents Scroll down to Monsters and NPCs Click on "Stradh von Zarovich" Strahd's journal entry pops up. Notice no unexpected errors in the console Close it. Open the Introduction handout from the Journal Tab Click on "Count Strahd Von Zarovich" in the paragraph. Notice that nothing happens. Notice an error in the console. Expect Result The Strahd Handout pops up when the link in the introduction is clicked just like in the Table of Contents Actual Result The Strahd handout does not show up. It seems to me that some links have gotten corrupted somehow. Either way, we're looking into this and we'll have a fix shorty. Thanks again!&nbsp;
Andrew Searles said: ... It seems to me that some links have gotten corrupted somehow. Either way, we're looking into this and we'll have a fix shorty. Thanks again!&nbsp; Yep that's what it sounds like I am experiencing.
Just wanted to add to the issue. I've been encountering the same issue with my own custom campaign (so no purchased module). When I click on links that worked perfectly fine yesterday, they don't open anywhere (it's not a case of them being minimized). If I restore the linked handout from archives, I can open it normaly. If I rewrite the link, it still doesn't work.&nbsp; I saw around the forums that there were similar issues with handouts not opening about 2 years ago, maybe there's a connexion?
Just realized something. The links seem to change after I click on them, even tho they won't open : Link for handout [Tourbillon] in my game before I click on it :&nbsp; I'm talking about the link at the bottom left of the screen shot. And after I clicked on it:

Edited 1684923630
I just started noticing this yesterday in a completely different campaign I run, Pathfinder 2e Kingmaker. Guess it's a bit of a universal issue going around recently?&nbsp; Glad it's being worked on though.&nbsp;

Edited 1684936553
Rich L
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I'm running into this issue as well since yesterday. I did a bit of testing on different games and here is what I found: The links change automatically once they are clicked on or interacted with, adding a query string to the existing URL. This only happens inside the game (the external journal links work fine). Here is an example: /handout/-MTi6xt6-Pw8VkTbS0aH changes to: /handout/-MTi6xt6-Pw8VkTbS0aH?_gl=1*19sxez0*_gcl_au* F1MTE4MzA4U4xNjgwMTkz Note: I intentionally changed much the end query of the above URL after the asterisk - I'll explain why below. I tested this with several different games on two different accounts and here is what I came up with: The query string breaks down into three parts, using the following example taken from above: /handout/-MTi6xt6-Pw8VkTbS0aH? &nbsp; [ _gl=1*19sxez0* ] &nbsp; [ _gcl_au* ] &nbsp; [ F1MTE4MzA4U4xNjgwMTkz ] _gl=1*19sxez0* appears to identify a session ID - it changes every time I launch the game. _gcl_au* is constant each time (may be a separator or query marker for the next section). F1MTE4MzA4U4xNjgwMTkz appears to be a user identifier. Each link had this identifier which only changed when I switched accounts and then was consistent from then on (I altered this section out of caution - please let me know if you would like me to share the correct link). I also tested with games that use different sheets/compendiums and there doesn't seem to be any correlation, but I don't think I own enough of a compendium variety to be certain of that. Hope this helps.
Having the same issue, more or less. Links to journal entries that worked fine a week ago are suddenly broken.
I'm having the same issue with Handouts and Character Sheet links.
Same issue here. My links were working just fine about 30 minutes ago and then suddenly stopped working.&nbsp;
Rich L said: I'm running into this issue as well since yesterday. I did a bit of testing on different games and here is what I found: ... Hope this helps. Hey Rich, That absolutely helped! You were spot on. Recently a change was made that added those query strings at the end of links in the VTT.&nbsp; Normal external links handle this just fine as the default functionality for browsers is to resolve the link normally despite its parameters. Also the compendium link works as well because the URL is loaded into a iframe which uses the same default functionality for resolving links. But when it comes to journal entries, we intercept those links and redirect them ourselves. So this extra parameter causes problems with links to journal entries. We added a check that will ignore those parameters for now. We just pushed this fix live &nbsp;and you should be able get to all links now. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.&nbsp; Thank you all for your help in finding and diagnosing it quickly!
Unless the fix is not deployed for firefox, my games are still not working right. I tried adding a new link and it still added the parameters and broke the link.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Lukas,&nbsp; Have you tried performing a hard refresh? (Shift + R usually)

Edited 1684948283
Interesting. Thank you, yes. That helped! EDIT: It did indeed help, but only for a second. Once I open the editor to work on the same thing (to re-edit the link text, for instance) all links break again, and I have to hard-refresh again to make them work again.
Gauss
Forum Champion
After an update sometimes it is necessary to perform a hard refresh to get the browser to stop using old data/instructions.&nbsp;
Yeah, I figured. It still is weird that everytime I use the Text editor to edit a handout it breaks again and I have to hard refresh every time I use the editor.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In addition, manually clearing cache and cookies do a more thorough job than a hard refresh.
Tried that, the problem persists. Everytime I open the editor, it kills the ability to use links until the next hard refresh.
Rich L
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The fix works, but only partially. If you edit a link or you add a new one using the "[Link Text]" brackets, all of the links go back to having the same issue. As a note, editing any link also brings up the query string in the link text. Deleting it makes no difference.
You don't even have to change anything about the links - just opening the text editor on a Handout containing links breaks it. You don't even have to save the changes. I am not sure if that helps with diagnosing the problem, if it doesn't, I apologize.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Behavior confirmed. Writing new links do not work until after a refresh. It does not need to be a hard refresh. Letting the Devs know.&nbsp;

Edited 1684953870
I can reproduce the behavior without needing to edit. First setup a handout A that links to handout B: Create handout A and handout B. Edit handout A to link to handout B. Close handout A and handout B. Exit the game. Clear all browsing data. Now the problem can be reproduced: Log back into Roll20 and launch the game. Open handout A from the journal. Click the link in handout A to open handout B. Handout B opens (the first time...). Close both handout A and handout B. Open handout A from the journal again. Click the link in handout A to open handout B. Handout B fails to open.
This is truly a a weird one. We'll keep digging. Sorry about that. I'll respond back when we know more.&nbsp;
Richard said: I can reproduce the behavior without needing to edit. First setup a handout A that links to handout B: Create handout A and handout B. Edit handout A to link to handout B. Close handout A and handout B. Exit the game. Clear all browsing data. Now the problem can be reproduced: Log back into Roll20 and launch the game. Open handout A from the journal. Click the link in handout A to open handout B. Handout B opens (the first time...). Close both handout A and handout B. Open handout A from the journal again. Click the link in handout A to open handout B. Handout B fails to open. Ok we quickly found that problem and it should be fixed now. I've run your steps and they're working as expected. If you don't first see it, then you might need to hard refresh. Let me know if it's working for you! Thanks again.
I believe it is fixed now. My links are working, both after reproducing the steps and after working with the editor. It did indeed need a hard refresh first though. Thanks a lot for troubleshooting people, and good work on the quick response!
I can confirm that my steps above that earlier today would consistently reproduce the linking bug now works as expected.
Thank you for the quick response!&nbsp; Good Job!