Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Nameplate disappearing on the Token layer (appearing on the DM layer but gone if put back to the Token layer)

First I should state that I am using the Hover option, and no I'm not opting in to have static Nameplates clog up the screen. I don't know what causes this issue and it's not consistent - I have some tokens that display the Nameplate, while others don't. Copying the Token that displays it doesn't seem to help if I exit Roll20 and come back later. I wonder if there's something else on the layer interfering, but I don't see why it would? I've tried giving control of the token to a Player or associate it with a Character, but nothing makes the Nameplate persist in the end.
You mean if you hover over the tokens, some nameplates are visible and others are not? If you are on the GM Layer it is normal that only those "react" that are on the same layer... Maybe you can test this out, otherwise screenshots would be helpful...

Edited 1685223859
I am referring to the Token Layer as this is for the Players to see. But yes, some show and others don't.  I guess I can screenshot settings, but whether a Nameplate shows or not when a Token is hovered over doesn't need proof in a picture and won't explain anything.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please screenshot the token settings. That is often where the problem exists. Yes, you may have confirmed the settings but when asking for help the first steps for other folks are the obvious ones.  Next, are you using an Incognito or Private browser tab? If not please give that a try. If I remember correctly you have a number of extensions in use that could affect things. 
Have you enabled the "Show Nameplate" options for those tokens where the nameplate does NOT appear? Siz said: I am referring to the Token Layer as this is for the Players to see. But yes, some show and others don't.  I guess I can screenshot settings, but whether a Nameplate shows or not when a Token is hovered over doesn't need proof in a picture and won't explain anything.
I don't understand this question - the issue is that the Nameplate doesn't show when enabled, so that's clearly the issue...? TheMarkus1204 said: Have you enabled the "Show Nameplate" options for those tokens where the nameplate does NOT appear?
I have used Incognito mode as well - it helps, but it doesn't make all  tokens' Nameplates show up.  Gauss said: Please screenshot the token settings. That is often where the problem exists. Yes, you may have confirmed the settings but when asking for help the first steps for other folks are the obvious ones.  Next, are you using an Incognito or Private browser tab? If not please give that a try. If I remember correctly you have a number of extensions in use that could affect things.  Pic 1 has a Nameplate that works:  Pic 2 has a Nameplate that only works in Incognito mode (not used here): Pic 3 has a Nameplate that doesn't work no matter what:

Edited 1685664643
Gauss
Forum Champion
The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, is the issue that the nameplate is not displaying for you, the GM, or for your players? Are you GM of a game created by a Pro users (i.e. might have mod scripts running)?

Edited 1686008752
I don't fiddle with those settings, they are the same for all my tokens. Gauss said: The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked. 

Edited 1686008743
It's the same issue whether I join as DM or a player. It's my game and I don't run mod scripts. The only thing that seems to figure in here is the Hover settings, and if Nameplates don't show up when you hover over a token then the setting option is basically useless. I just can't bear having Nameplates in my face all the time so it's either Hoverable Nameplates or nothing for me. keithcurtis said: Also, is the issue that the nameplate is not displaying for you, the GM, or for your players? Are you GM of a game created by a Pro users (i.e. might have mod scripts running)?

Edited 1686021380
Gauss
Forum Champion
Are you editing some tokens via the token and others via the Character's edit token? The "3 dots" settings for the nameplates default to different settings in each.  Siz said: I don't fiddle with those settings, they are the same for all my tokens. Gauss said: The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As an aside, an option to nameplates is to put the names into the tooltip field and set tokens to "show notes" by default.
keithcurtis said: As an aside, an option to nameplates is to put the names into the tooltip field and set tokens to "show notes" by default. I know, but those show up on the screen even when a Player can't see the Token - hence it just doesn't work when you want to put names on stuff only certain Players should see.
No, as I said I don't use the "3 dots" settings. They are always checked, both See and Edit - I've had no need to change that yet. Gauss said: Are you editing some tokens via the token and others via the Character's edit token? The "3 dots" settings for the nameplates default to different settings in each.  Siz said: I don't fiddle with those settings, they are the same for all my tokens. Gauss said: The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think Gauss was inquiring to ask you to verify that those permissions settings had not somehow been unintentionally changed. Just because you did not actively change them doesn't rule out the possibility that something or someone else did. If you would like another pair of eyes on this, feel free to shoot me an invite in a message. I'd be happy to investigate.

Edited 1686934215
Gauss
Forum Champion
Siz said: No, as I said I don't use the "3 dots" settings. They are always checked, both See and Edit - I've had no need to change that yet. Gauss said: Are you editing some tokens via the token and others via the Character's edit token? The "3 dots" settings for the nameplates default to different settings in each.  Siz said: I don't fiddle with those settings, they are the same for all my tokens. Gauss said: The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked.  Editing the token settings via the token and editing the token settings via the Character produce different results.  Editing token settings via the Character does not respect the campaign settings for tokens and does not have all of the same settings as in token settings via the token.  Example:  Edit the token via the token, check the 3 dots. Note that both See and Edit are checkmarked. Close it out.  Edit the Token Settings via the Character, check the 3 does. Note that both See and Edit are NOT checkmarked.  Same token, different settings. It has been a known issue in Roll20 for awhile. 
I did verify that as well, yes, I just did not mention it. It'd be a whole different problem if Roll20 changed settings out of nowhere. I'll send you a link to the game so you can see, sure. keithcurtis said: I think Gauss was inquiring to ask you to verify that those permissions settings had not somehow been unintentionally changed. Just because you did not actively change them doesn't rule out the possibility that something or someone else did. If you would like another pair of eyes on this, feel free to shoot me an invite in a message. I'd be happy to investigate.
I see, yeah in the Character's Edit Token Setting the [Edit] option is unchecked. That shouldn't matter here - unless it matters if you connect a Token to a Character after it's been placed, and the settings are somehow affected after the Token has been disconnected from said Character. I've gotten the same issue for Tokens without a Character, as in a Token strictly meant to show a Nameplate, and today the ones that worked last time is no longer working and those that didn't are working. It's just really strange and annoying. Copy-Pasting the Token seemed to make the Nameplates work today, but I'm under no illusion that doing so makes it retain the working Nameplate in the future. Gauss said: Editing the token settings via the token and editing the token settings via the Character produce different results.  Editing token settings via the Character does not respect the campaign settings for tokens and does not have all of the same settings as in token settings via the token.  Example:  Edit the token via the token, check the 3 dots. Note that both See and Edit are checkmarked. Close it out.  Edit the Token Settings via the Character, check the 3 does. Note that both See and Edit are NOT checkmarked.  Same token, different settings. It has been a known issue in Roll20 for awhile.  Siz said: No, as I said I don't use the "3 dots" settings. They are always checked, both See and Edit - I've had no need to change that yet. Gauss said: Are you editing some tokens via the token and others via the Character's edit token? The "3 dots" settings for the nameplates default to different settings in each.  Siz said: I don't fiddle with those settings, they are the same for all my tokens. Gauss said: The nameplate checkmark is only one half of the control for the nameplate. The other is the three dots above the Nameplate, above and to the right of Represents Character.  Make sure "Edit" is checkmarked. This allows those who have control of the token to see the nameplate.  If you want those who do not have control of the token to see it then please make sure "See" is checkmarked.