Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weird asset handling (bounding box cutoff etc.)

Is it me, or has asset handling become super-weird all of a sudden? I recently tried re-editing an existing game. I often use large image backgrounds for my pages and there is now a weird bounding box mechanic that simply cuts of images when I try to scale them up and move them around to try and center them. Why is that? Why does Roll20 now force me to stick to a certain zoom factor and position for my background images?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Ingmar D.,  Could you supply screenshots of the problem? 
Can you provide a screenshot please?

Edited 1686489108
Sure, sorry for the delay. As you can see in the first screenshot, I have dragged a particular image onto the page. I then drag the lower right corner of the image to increase the size of the image and make it fill more space of the page (to have a "full-screen mood picture" of sorts). But what happens now, is that the image gets cropped, as if it runs into an invisible bounding box, forcing me to keep the image restricted to a certain size. As you can see, parts of the right side of the image with the white car are gone. The same happens when I click and drag the entire image in order to center it in the visible page area. This behavior differs from how Roll20 worked for me up until a few weeks ago. I would much prefer it if Roll20 left the decision of how much I increase an image size up to me (plus the assessment if it becomes too blurry or not). Why would Roll20 crop images, when I can always zoom or pan the page in order to see the whole thing? Is this a bug? Is this new intended behavior? If yes, is there a legacy option to bypass the new behavior? I should also mention that selecting yes or no in the initial "resize canvas?" dialog when dragging+dropping the image onto the page does not make any difference as to this behavior.

Edited 1686490139
Gauss
Forum Champion
To my knowledge Roll20 does not crop images in any way. To clarify, are the two images in the screenshot the same exact image before being dropped into Roll20? Could you provide steps to reproduce this? Also could you take a screenshot after you click on the image and hit the "Z" button?  Finally, which browser are you using? Have you tried an Incognito (Chrome) or Privacy (Firefox) tab to see if the problem persists in that? 
Ingmar D. said: Sure, sorry for the delay. As you can see in the first screenshot, I have dragged a particular image onto the page. I then drag the lower right corner of the image to increase the size of the image and make it fill more space of the page (to have a "full-screen mood picture" of sorts). But what happens now, is that the image gets cropped, as if it runs into an invisible bounding box, forcing me to keep the image restricted to a certain size. As you can see, parts of the right side of the image with the white car are gone. The same happens when I click and drag the entire image in order to center it in the visible page area. This behavior differs from how Roll20 worked for me up until a few weeks ago. I would much prefer it if Roll20 left the decision of how much I increase an image size up to me (plus the assessment if it becomes too blurry or not). Why would Roll20 crop images, when I can always zoom or pan the page in order to see the whole thing? Is this a bug? Is this new intended behavior? If yes, is there a legacy option to bypass the new behavior? I should also mention that selecting yes or no in the initial "resize canvas?" dialog when dragging+dropping the image onto the page does not make any difference as to this behavior. I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for. Tokens behave differently than drawings if the page has a grid enabled - tokens snap to the grid and drawings do not. This may be related to the effect you are seeing. You can try yourself to see how the resizing behaves if there is a grid enabled and whether or not the image on the page has the Advanced property "Is Drawing" enabled. In either case, it is always possible to drag the image to a size larger than the page size. The page does not automatically  resize to match the image size.
I think I found the root of the problem: Newly created pages are now only 1750 px wide, so images I would move around or resize were simply being moved outside the page. I didn't notice this earlier, since I turned off the grid for my pages and set the background to black. In my perception, pages were indefinitely wide in earlier versions of Roll20, at least I never bothered with any concrete page border before. I guess the solution is then to simply make pages a lot wider, to accomodate modern screen resolutions.

Edited 1686494045
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ingmar D. said: I think I found the root of the problem: Newly created pages are now only 1750 px wide, so images I would move around or resize were simply being moved outside the page. I didn't notice this earlier, since I turned off the grid for my pages and set the background to black. Glad you got it figured out. IIRC, in the last 10 years of Roll20 the page size has always defaulted to 25x25 which, at the normal of 70 pixels per grid square (that can be changed) is 1750 by 1750. However, you can change the default in your Campaign Details settings so you might have had a different default in a previous campaign (game). 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
To my knowledge, Roll20 pages have never been of infinite size. For display of pictures like you are proposing, turning off the grid or right clicking them and turning them into "drawings" is the best procedure. Also note that the actual resolution of 70px per grid square (unit) has a virtual resolution limit of 250% from zoom, or 175ppu. Unless you are setting the image to exactly its original pixel dimensions and always viewing it at 100%, you are looking at a virtually resized image. (and this isn't just Roll20, this is web graphics everywhere). Combine that with the fact the multiple users in a group may have different window sizes, monitor sizes and resolutions, along with their own chosen zoom level, and there is no way of predicting how an image will display for everybody. I.e. it's best not to stress over it. :)