Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Changing Character sheet template mid campaign?

For background I am running a Ad&D 2e campaign. I was new to roll20 when I started it and went with the simple sheet. I would now like to use the more detailed sheet. I found where to change it in settings. HOWEVER, I have no idea what this will do to my current character sheets. I don't want to delete or render unreadable 18 sessions of play. Anyone know what happens if I push the scary button mid campaign?
Gauss
Forum Champion
In short, don't do it. Most character sheets are designed differently with different attribute names depending on how the creator of the sheet designed it.  The better option is to duplicate your game, then in the duplicate change the sheet.  From there you want to open both games at once, set them up side by side, and manually port the information over as needed. 
That's what I was afraid of, thank you.
Gauss
Forum Champion
There may be hope though, it would be worth investigating if an API script could be written to convert characters over to the new sheet. My guess is that it can do so at least in part.  I would ask the Mods (API Scripts) forum.  Of course, that would require you have a Pro account, but you could increase your account level for the purpose of the conversion then drop back down to Plus a month later.
Jim S. said: For background I am running a Ad&D 2e campaign. I was new to roll20 when I started it and went with the simple sheet. I would now like to use the more detailed sheet. I found where to change it in settings. HOWEVER, I have no idea what this will do to my current character sheets. I don't want to delete or render unreadable 18 sessions of play. Anyone know what happens if I push the scary button mid campaign? As Gauss mentioned, if the variables are named different, the respective fields in the "new" sheet will be empty and need to be filled in manually. Since you are midst a campaign it isn't worth the effort seeing how many sheets you need to edit in order for everything to work again... However the selection of a new sheet is simple. Just go to Game Settings and select the sheet you want to use and hit save.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Gauss said: In short, don't do it. lol, I saw the thread title and before I read the post, those exact words were in my mind. The better option is to duplicate your game, then in the duplicate change the sheet. This is the way.
Yup, yup, Up to me and m characters now. Probably gonna go the route of me recreating the game. Then porting over the characters. yiu
GiGs said: Gauss said: In short, don't do it. lol, I saw the thread title and before I read the post, those exact words were in my mind. The better option is to duplicate your game, then in the duplicate change the sheet. This is the way. Yup, Just had a conversation with my guys, cool