Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to use Weather overlays

Hi folks  I hope this is the right place to ask, I see in the marketplace all sorts of weather overlays, but I am not sure how to use them, and want to be sure of what it in tails before purchasing, what layer would they be placed on? do I needs Mods to use them correctly? T hey look really cool and versatile, but there is so much great creator content in the marketplace, I want to make sure I can use this,  otherwise  I might make another choice until i better understand them . 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Mich! Typically, a weather animation would overlay the map layer (weather would appear above the map, but below the tokens). You might want to test first, animations can be quirky. I don't typically use them in my game, because one player cannot get them to work. There is also an ongoing issue with animations that many folks have reported here . You might want to follow the progress before deciding on a purchase.
thank you Keith, much appreciated, this is exactly the type of issue I was afraid of.  I will pick something else up to sweeten my game for now, and circle back around in the future.  

Edited 1687378958
Gauss
Forum Champion
Just a note, you can purchase the animation then refund it if you or your group have the same animation issues as some other folks.  Here is Roll20's refund policy . In short, you have 15 days to refund it.
Oh cool, i honestly had no Idea about this, thanks
At least one weather overlay pack in the Marketplace consists of static images rather than animations, if that is an option you prefer. No mods, no animation quirks, just some little transparent pngs to put on the top level of the Map layer to give the players some atmosphere.

Edited 1687673613
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
The non-animated ones can be positioned on the top of the map layer. They're handy if you have a generic map and want to change its mood a little. This is my most popular weather overlay pack in the Roll20 marketplace. They can be used if like, there's a magic weather event or you just want to change the mood of a recurring map or you found something you like the layout of but it's too cheerful for your gloomy horror game or whatever. Very flexible, useful for all genres.