Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Apply change to all tokens?

Good morning. I am building a game & have created around 100 characters/monsters along with their tokens. I have noticed I chose poorly.. each monster's hit points are visible to everyone as opposed to just editors. I have corrected the problem going forward. Is there a way to globally change all characters' tokens that have already been created? Or am I facing a few hours of re-work?
Depending on what you want to do, yes.&nbsp; There is a api called token_mod and a companion api that is called setChatAttr that allows you to select all tokens or character sheets and change various components.&nbsp; However, I warn you that depending on how good your computer is, how many character sheets you have and what game system you are using (how many attributes you have to change) this may be a massive undertaking and could either take a massive amount of time or lock up the system entirely. The link to the forum for token mod is&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4225825/script-update-tokenmod-an-interface-to-adjusting-properties-of-a-token-from-a-macro-or-the-chat-area/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4225825/script-update-tokenmod-an-interface-to-adjusting-properties-of-a-token-from-a-macro-or-the-chat-area/?pagenum=1</a> And SetChatAttr can be found at&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737514/script-chatsetattr-set-character-attributes-via-chat-messages/?pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3737514/script-chatsetattr-set-character-attributes-via-chat-messages/?pagenum=1</a> I hope this helps and is what you are looking for.

Edited 1687611850
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Jeff,&nbsp; Yes, you can do this globally.&nbsp; 1) Go to&nbsp; <a href="https://roll20.net/welcome" rel="nofollow">https://roll20.net/welcome</a> 2) Click on the name of your game (not Launch) 3) Click on Settings 4) Click on Game Settings 5) Click on Game Default Settings 6) Change the desired setting 7) Save 8) Launch the game 9) Click the "Page Toolbar" button at the top of the VTT (it will be blue or purple) 10) One at a time load each page (map) you want to change. Due to a bug only maps that you have loaded at some point during this session will be altered. I suggest doing the pages in batches of 5-10 at a time depending on the number of tokens on each.&nbsp; 11) Click the "My Settings" tab, top right corner of the VTT 12) Click "Miscellaneous" 13) Click "Apply Default Settings" 14) Checkmark the desired change and hit apply. WAIT for the bar to complete (it is small, easily missed).&nbsp; 15) Refresh the browser.&nbsp; 16) Repeat steps 9 through 15 until all the pages are done.&nbsp; Finally, you will want to correct PC tokens back to whatever setting they need to be set to. But you can do that manually.&nbsp; Let me know if you have any issues.&nbsp;
Thank you for the replies. Toby - I am a Plus user so I don't have API access. Thank you though. Gauss - Not sure I am understanding how these steps change all my tokens. It seems this would change maps to default settings? Or are you suggesting I gradually drop all the tokens that need to be changed to the new token defaults onto the maps?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Jeff! If you have already changed all default tokens, then Gauss' response will cover all tokens on map pages. I don't think I have encountered the per-page bug he speaks of, but it's been a long time since I&nbsp; Applied Defaults &nbsp;on a large game. If you need to change both default tokens and tokens in play, the procedure is a little different.&nbsp; Apply Default Settings affects tokens on the tabletop on all maps, but does not affect saved default tokens. These behave like little files attached to the character and live in a different "space" than tokens in play. There is a way to change both at the same time, but it must be done monster by monster. Open the sheet (not the token) and put it into Edit mode Click the button that says, "Edit Token Properties" Make the changes you want to be reflected on all tokens representing that creature and Save those token settings While still in edit mode on the character sheet, press the button called "Apply Token Defaults" A dialog box will pop up asking if you want to overwrite x tokens on y pages, say yes. This will apply your new token defaults to all instance of the token, both in play and in journal. Test this on a copy of the game to make sure it is doing what you want and to avoid any unintended consequences.

Edited 1687629500
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jeff R. said: Thank you for the replies. Toby - I am a Plus user so I don't have API access. Thank you though. Gauss - Not sure I am understanding how these steps change all my tokens. It seems this would change maps to default settings? Or are you suggesting I gradually drop all the tokens that need to be changed to the new token defaults onto the maps? There are many settings that can be changed, the tokens are just one of them.&nbsp; The way the Apply Default Settings is supposed to work is to change all tokens in the game at once. However, awhile back that functionality was lost and now it is only whichever pages you have loaded into the game (This bug appeared after the Operation Firebolt update I think due to "Lazy Loading"). So by performing the steps I outlined you can change all the tokens on the page(s) you have loaded (opened during the current session). Repeat until all the pages are done.&nbsp; Note that to change the default tokens you need to perform extra steps like Keith outlined. The steps I listed only affect tokens currently on maps.&nbsp;