Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can you use roll20 to play turn based ie. not live?

Haven't used roll20 live yet, but for those who have I am wondering if it allows for gameplay that is NOT in real time?  I have some interest in a campaign with people in different time zones, and a "not all online at once, but still able to play" button would be great This would obviously slow down game play, but that's okay. I 
Yeah, you could. Just use lines to mark paths taken and the rolls will be preserved in chat.
You could even use it to play telephone chess.  Move your piece, mark your movement, take a screen shot if you dont trust your friend.  Come back the next day and see if he made his move.  Or if you two are the type to think long and hard about your moves, and you are a mentor, you can access it from your tablet and look at it on the go and check it every once and a while when you get a break to see if there has been any progress.
Reb S. said: You could even use it to play telephone chess.  Move your piece, mark your movement, take a screen shot if you dont trust your friend.  Come back the next day and see if he made his move.  Or if you two are the type to think long and hard about your moves, and you are a mentor, you can access it from your tablet and look at it on the go and check it every once and a while when you get a break to see if there has been any progress. Why is that "telephone chess"? It sounds more like chess by post to me. Not trying to pedantic here. It's just that English isn't my mother tongue so I don't know all the proper terminology and if telephone chess is "the correct" term here I would like to know.
telephone chess is more of an archaic term, back before there we instant messangers and online interactive gaming, if you wanted to play chess with someone across the country, you would set up your boards somewhere it wouldnt be disturbed in your home, and once you thought up your next move, you would call them up and tell them your move, you would both move your peices and then wait for the person to call you back with their next move.  But you are correct, it is more or less a chess by post, but at the ripe old age of 27, i guess i am starting to  bear my wrinkles</sarcasm>.
So you don't need the GM to launch the campaign?  Not-so-hypothetical: I set build a campaign simulating a board game and a couple of players join.  Could those other players open the campaign and make their moves even if I'm not online or have the campaign open?
No, you can launch the campaign any time you want.
JonathanTheBlack said: No, you can launch the campaign any time you want. quoted for truth.  in fact i am putting together an asymmetric mutliplayer type game, i linked a friend to play test it, he logged in at a later time to check it out, left comments, rolls, made macros without me needing to be there or assign gm permissions, he was able to make changes he had permission to without my needing to be online.
Crifmer, that's correct.  If you're worried about them moving pieces while you're gone, just make a blank page and move the players their after the game (or just tell your players not to cheat...).  If you'd like for them to still be able to look at the game you can remove player control from the tokens until the game starts, which may or may not be easy.  If you just want to check if they're cheating, put a mark or label on the GM layer that indicates where their piece was, and if you come back and it's not there, you know who cheated! =) Hope that helps.  It may be worth making this functionality more obvious (i.e. a pop-up the first time you close a campaign, or part of the GM tutorial).
This just made me very happy.  Thanks for cluing me in. :)