Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Spell slot usage with confirmation

Hi, I'm currently use 5E OGL sheet with the API companion to manage spell slot usage. One problem I keep running into is with repeat use spells like Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray, Magic Missile, Call Lightning, and so on, with each use automatically using spell slot. I've done macro workarounds adding a macro to do roll and simulate the repeat roll without using the spell, but it gets tedious and have to be done for every spell manually. (Also saw Keith's suggested workaround with duplicate Innate spell, but same issue, and also it would crowd the already long spell page). What I'm hoping to use is a spell slot usage script (either new or a mod of the companion script) that would ask for confirmation everytime it's about to use up a spell slot. This would also help with the occasions where players accidentally 'casts' a spell when they were just wanting to show/describe the spell. So do you know of such a script / mod? Or other ways around this issue that you found worked well? Thanks in advance.

Edited 1693130183
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Erudo,  The solution I use is to turn the spell into a spellcard, then create an attack that is separate from the spell. Cast the spell, then click the attack, the attack button no longer depletes the spell slots.  If you'd like to make the attack from the spellcard you can do that by putting in a Chat Menu button in the spellcard that calls the attack.  
Thanks Gauss - wouldn't that require me to manually create the attack for every spell that needs this? Trying to find a solution where I can just use the default spells and let the macro or script do the work. So if there's a script that always asks for confirmation for spending the spell slot, the player can manage this themselves.

Edited 1693176506
Gauss
Forum Champion
Erudo said: Thanks Gauss - wouldn't that require me to manually create the attack for every spell that needs this? Trying to find a solution where I can just use the default spells and let the macro or script do the work. So if there's a script that always asks for confirmation for spending the spell slot, the player can manage this themselves. Yeah, if you have a lot of spells that would be a lot of work. Alas I am not a scripter so I don't know of an API solution here. I was providing an alternative in case there wasn't an API script solution.