Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Extra Pane - GM Screen

It would be great to have another pane, similar to the map pane, you could add items to it; the pane could be open, closed, re sized, and perhaps movable from left, top or bottom. I would use this pane to hold information that would go on the GM screen in the old days. It could be contain any information you wanted permanent access to in a campaign; critical hit charts, attribute bonus info, experience point table, family genealogies, language tables, kingdom and ruler lists, item prices, or even artwork. This pane would scroll independently, so as you scroll through the map pane, the attack matrix table stays right where it is on the GM screen. I’m not sure if it would be better if the players could edit it, or just the GM (perhaps we need 2). Don’t like the idea, just keep the pane closed.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It seems like Handouts serve this function already.
Gold
Forum Champion
Handouts feature has all those abilities including, you can choose whether players can Edit or See it, or GM only. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Handouts" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Journal#Handouts</a>
@Gold - Brian - If handouts were dock-able, that would be what I'm looking for. Handouts float on top, and therefore, can't easily be open all the time. Handouts are like looking something up in a book, I'm looking for something like the GM screen, something that can be open all the time without interfering with the map. Maybe your map has a legend, you don't want the legend to disappear when you scroll the map, and you don't want to open it on top of the map.

Edited 1410374536
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Perhaps make a single handout with links to the other handouts for quick open? Not downing your suggestion one added would be a good idea, but probably a ways off so in the mean time would this idea help? its how i do it as GM and its pretty quick and easy to get to without being in the way. I leave it open on the side out of the way mostly, and just click the handout I want to see. Its rarely in the way at all,(like below in the scale of the map area its pretty tiny and out of the way)..and if it is I just doubleclick the header to do the minimize transparent thing.
Gold
Forum Champion
Handouts are essentially dockable, if I understand the meaning of that. You can double-click the top bar of the handout (like William suggests) and keep it minimized on whatever corner of the screen works best for you. You could also open another browser-tab (or another browser) of your Roll20 game, and keep the handout stretched large on that tab, if you want to Alt-Tab between screens to find it. Advanced method: If you have 2 monitors you can stretch the roll20 screen across both and keep chat & handouts visible on one screen, map visible on the other. The suggestion is good, but these methods may be able to deliver a similar effect, in the meantime.
By dock-able, I mean like the pull out panel on the right. While scrolling through a city for example, a building key could be on a left side pull out panel. It would never block part of the map, and would always be available. You could create a hand out and put it on the left side of the screen, but if you try to look at the left side of the map, you can't without moving the handout. Again I would use to hold art work, or rules or what ever. This is not a requirement to play or anything, it would just come in handy. Thanks! Mike
Have you tried opening a handout and double clicking the title? The icon it makes is partially transparent and not huge sized. It would do what you want to do.
@HoneyBadger - Thanks, that is pretty cool, but not exactly what I’m looking for. If the group is in town wandering around buying things, I would put the town map in the table top, and on this left pull out panel I would put a picture of a medieval market, and maybe a map legend. For inspiration, they need to see the art work. In the dungeon, I would maybe have some common combat charts up all the time, and / or inspirational artwork. It is not critical, but it would be nice. You need to be able to see it all the time, but it can’t block the map at all.