Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
×
Create a free account

The New Toolbar is Now Available to All Users

Hey folks! As you know, we've been working for more than a year now on a new version of the Roll20 User Interface. We've been working hard to get it ready for you all and you've been sending us a lot of feedback (thousands of responses, in fact!) As of today we're pleased to announce that the first part of the UI Redesign, the New Toolbar, is now the toolbar for all users on the VTT. Not only does this bring a new, modern design, it also comes with the new Measure Tool with built-in support for AoE shapes, much better accessibility support, full light and dark mode, and a whole lot of other neat features. We'll continue to work to improve the new toolbar -- for example, recently we improved the Measure Tool further to allow you to dock it into the toolbar to keep it out of your way while you're measuring things on the tabletop. So keep giving us your feedback and we'll keep improving. In addition to this, a few other things to note today: We've revamped the tutorial for new users to make sure it's compatible with the new toolbar, and we've added handy videos to each step to hopefully ease new users into the experience. The "UI Redesign" flag has been renamed to "Beta Features". If you were already opted in you will still be opted in. The Page Folders and New Compendium Search remain behind this flag for now. The New Compendium Search will be turned on by default for anyone opted in to Beta Features. We've done a lot of work on this over the past month and we feel like it's ready for prime time. However, there's still a separate toggle to turn it off if you'd like. Thanks for all of your feedback and for helping us continue to make Roll20 better. All of this work is also laying the foundation for Jumpgate to be ready to go, and we'll continue to share more details on our progress there with a new blog post coming this week.
That is wonderful and I'm sure it will be interesting to learn. However, I saw no notification as to exactly when this was going to occur. Of course I could have just missed that notification, if so...my bad. So now I have a game to run tomorrow, prep work I was hoping to complete today, and a UI I'm unfamiliar with. So my question is: Is there a way to opt out of the new UI (And if so, how?), or am stuck with this change? 
Someone was kind enough to answer. It seems i did miss the live date announcement, and yes....my bad.  So, should there be a method to use the old UI I would certainly be interested in that. Otherwise seems I have myself a bit of learning to try to finish up quickly! 
It's not possible to access the old toolbar anymore unfortunately...at a certain point we have to take the leap and take out the code. I'm sorry if it disrupts your prep though! Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to learn the new toolbar, but we're here to help answer any questions on how to use it if you have them.
Just a bit of a shock to me, but caused by my own fault. Trying it out, so far I'm liking the changes I have found. I totally get you have to makes things better. Thank you for your kind reply Riley. Roll20 has certainly been the right choice so far!
My one complaint is that I can no longer rightclick (and hold) on a token in order to drag it with the measurement of the distance being shown. Now I I rightclick on a token it will always open up the little options bar momentarily which is incredibly jarring. Is there a solution to this besides having to remove 5-6 years of muscle memory? While this is certainly frustrating being unable to pan around the battlemaps as swiftly and neatly, the other changes do make up for this. The toolbar is so much cleaner and better organized and the page system is genuinely amazing and changes everything so thank you for adding these things. I do think moving around the page has been hampered, but the organizational tools cannot be beat, so good job!!
Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen.
i can't seem to rotate anything or resize newly added items to my maps with the new ui anyone else having this problem?
How come you guys keep breaking things for x64? Anyone with a MacBook with an M1 or newer is bricked
1705457268

Edited 1705457391
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Parker,  What you stated isn't how I remember things. Could you break down the exact clicks you used to use?  For example:  1. I would left click on the token and hold the left click.  2. Hit Q or Right Click 3. Drag 4. Repeat 2 and 3 as desired.  5. Release the left click.  Parker T. said: My one complaint is that I can no longer rightclick (and hold) on a token in order to drag it with the measurement of the distance being shown. Now I I rightclick on a token it will always open up the little options bar momentarily which is incredibly jarring. Is there a solution to this besides having to remove 5-6 years of muscle memory? While this is certainly frustrating being unable to pan around the battlemaps as swiftly and neatly, the other changes do make up for this. The toolbar is so much cleaner and better organized and the page system is genuinely amazing and changes everything so thank you for adding these things. I do think moving around the page has been hampered, but the organizational tools cannot be beat, so good job!!
1705457336

Edited 1705457372
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Vermillion,  You can hide the zoom function by clicking on the My Settings tab. There are settings for it to make it smaller and an on/off switch to remove it entirely. Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen.
1705457494

Edited 1705457540
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Rothman,  Could you make sure you are set to Select and not Pan?  If you are set to Select, could you screenshot the entire VTT with the image selected? I might be able to see what is going on.  Rothman said: i can't seem to rotate anything or resize newly added items to my maps with the new ui anyone else having this problem?
Gauss said: Hi Vermillion,  You can hide the zoom function by clicking on the My Settings tab. There are settings for it to make it smaller and an on/off switch to remove it entirely. Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. Where 'Exactly' is this feature. My apologies but I have been unable to find it.
1705460119
Gauss
Forum Champion
Erik said: Gauss said: Hi Vermillion,  You can hide the zoom function by clicking on the My Settings tab. There are settings for it to make it smaller and an on/off switch to remove it entirely. Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. Where 'Exactly' is this feature. My apologies but I have been unable to find it. The My Settings tab, top right corner of the VTT. In the Personalization and Display section, the first section opened when you go to My Settings. 
Is there a way to change the colors of the initiative tracker? The bright green and white makes it hard to even see the names in dark mode and white mode makes everything look worse imo.
Troy N.  said: How come you guys keep breaking things for x64? Anyone with a MacBook with an M1 or newer is bricked Hey, not really sure what you mean by this? Do you mean if you don't have an M1 or newer it's not working? I am on an M2 Macbook and it seems fine. Erik said: Gauss said: Hi Vermillion,  You can hide the zoom function by clicking on the My Settings tab. There are settings for it to make it smaller and an on/off switch to remove it entirely. Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. Where 'Exactly' is this feature. My apologies but I have been unable to find it. You should be able to toggle the Zoom Slider on and off with that toggle right there.
Erik said: Just a bit of a shock to me, but caused by my own fault. Trying it out, so far I'm liking the changes I have found. I totally get you have to makes things better. Thank you for your kind reply Riley. Roll20 has certainly been the right choice so far! No worries. Thanks so much for the kind words, and glad you're liking it now that you've had a chance to try it out! :-)
Please get this new UGLY UI out of here... it looks bad and it's not compatible with my addons. It's bad and shouldn't be forced on us, hard to play looking at it taking up half the screen when in use... Bring back the old UI!
1705466082

Edited 1705466091
Gauss
Forum Champion
Pack said: Please get this new UGLY UI out of here... it looks bad and it's not compatible with my addons. It's bad and shouldn't be forced on us, hard to play looking at it taking up half the screen when in use... Bring back the old UI! Hi Pack,  Could you supply a screenshot of what you are seeing? It shouldn't be taking up "half the screen".  Also, what size monitor do you have? 
1705466955
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Troy N.  said: How come you guys keep breaking things for x64? Anyone with a MacBook with an M1 or newer is bricked Hey, not really sure what you mean by this? Do you mean if you don't have an M1 or newer it's not working? I am on an M2 Macbook and it seems fine. I'm on an M1 with no issues. Try doing a hard refresh (hold shift down while loading) or clear cache and cookies, if things seem like they are not behaving properly.
1705467075
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pack said: Please get this new UGLY UI out of here... it looks bad and it's not compatible with my addons. It's bad and shouldn't be forced on us, hard to play looking at it taking up half the screen when in use... Bring back the old UI! Can you list the addons you are using, and what is not working right with them? Roll20 does not officially support any addons, but if it's something like Stylus, there may be tweaks to fix any specific issues.
Riley, Please give us the option to have the Sidebar in DARK MODE while rest of VTT is still in Lightmode! Right Now I am using Stylus for this when prefering not to! And now the new UI is Live for everyone, THIS would be a nice addition!
1705479053

Edited 1705480583
BUG! NEW Compendium under BETA Features does NOT show contents! THIS is Dragonbane with the OLD Compendium: Note that each section has content in it! NOW compare this to the NEW Compendium: Below that I can only see "Book Index" but nothing else! EDIT: Compendium Sharing seems to be the culprit here! I don't own the books myself BUT am Co-GM in a campaign based of the Module that had the compendium included!
Thanks for letting us know! We have a few bugs related to the New Compendium and Compendium Sharing we are tracking now, I'll let you know when they are fixed (hopefully today) and we'll see if that solves the problem.
I'm not a big fan of new toolbar... But okay, it's already happened. (I liked the translucent one.) I wish I could resize the toolbar myself. It takes up too much space on the monitor. In other words, I want to "customize" the toolbar. It's too big!
I tried it on three x64 laptops and 1 x86. x86 was the only one that worked
I have neurological sight based issues and the new tool bar physically hurts to look at, especially in night mode. I have 6000+ hours invested into this site. Now I basically cannot use roll20 without pain. The old one didn't cause me as much pain (eye strain + headaches), but this was almost instant. It's clunky as HELL on mobile too, but mobile traditionally has been. Now the bar's in the way. And again, it physically /hurts/ to look at.
Goat said: I have neurological sight based issues and the new tool bar physically hurts to look at, especially in night mode. I have 6000+ hours invested into this site. Now I basically cannot use roll20 without pain. The old one didn't cause me as much pain (eye strain + headaches), but this was almost instant. It's clunky as HELL on mobile too, but mobile traditionally has been. Now the bar's in the way. And again, it physically /hurts/ to look at. Can you let us know a little more about what specifically we could do to improve that? Is it the color scheme (and neither light nor dark mode is working well), or?
Troy N. said: I tried it on three x64 laptops and 1 x86. x86 was the only one that worked Can you let us know a few more details? What OS/Browser? 
Hi,  New UI looks good but has major issues ( not in my eyes only, we're 3 to write this) - Side bar is good looking but it's a waste of space ( a 1/3 of it is just a white block OR a semi transparent with gaussian blur on it : it's not visible) - We used to be able to stop the currently playing music on the little player above the list, not anymore.   Just an issues with color update form dark to light mode. - The new "My pages" section takes 50% of the screen when you have the folder list open on the side. - The little yellow banner to move around the group is just straight up worst then the old red one. Functunaly AND graphicly. (But that a design opinion and debate about "slick and tech enthusiast design" Vs "personnality and brand image") - Documents pop out windows are unaffected by darkmode. Now the good part : - New ui logos are good looking  - Less performance issues on load  - New area of effect tool works like a charm - Background customisation works almost perfectly ( needs to be updated manually from times to times) So, yeah... not great, not terrible either. For such a long awaited period without major update, kind of dissapointing. It's flaws outwait it's strengh. but most immorpantly, most flaws are GM side not Player side which is weird. Like the player UI 7/10, sometimes my funny eyes hurt due to too high contrast. gm side 4/10, flawed but not that bad. I don't buy that the old ui isn't available because "we lost the code". I get that you worked hard on the new ui but please can we have the best of the old one and the best of the new one ? ( Also available =/= forced upon but that's just me being a bit of prick) You're going on the right dirrection, just don't forget what made Roll20 lovable.
1705511560

Edited 1705511573
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Dayric,  Could you elaborate on the problem with the yellow banner's functionality? What about it is difficult to use?  Dayric said: Hi,  - The little yellow banner to move around the group is just straight up worst then the old red one. Functunaly AND graphicly. (But that a design opinion and debate about "slick and tech enthusiast design" Vs "personnality and brand image")
More "changes" nobody asked for... May can't come fast enough, I swear -.-
1705513812
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Dayric! Dayric  said: Hi,  New UI looks good but has major issues ( not in my eyes only, we're 3 to write this) - Side bar is good looking but it's a waste of space ( a 1/3 of it is just a white block OR a semi transparent with gaussian blur on it : it's not visible) If it helps, note that the entire sidebar is collapsible; there is a button at the very top. - The new "My pages" section takes 50% of the screen when you have the folder list open on the side. This was an early criticism by a few, that kind of died out pretty quickly. It's a tough line to call, since some want to show as much as possible, and others want as much screen as possible. This was the behavior that was reached during the preview period. Can you describe what actions you tend to perform while the page menu is open that are harder with a larger page display? - The little yellow banner to move around the group is just straight up worst then the old red one. Functunaly AND graphicly. (But that a design opinion and debate about "slick and tech enthusiast design" Vs "personnality and brand image") Take a look at the  Help center Page on the Party Toolbox (flag) . It can do a lot of stuff the old one could not: create groups, split and recombine the party, indicate which map each player or party is on... - Documents pop out windows are unaffected by darkmode. Yeah, handout windows seem to be disregarding the dark mode settings. Character sheets, yes, handouts no.
Hi, With the old UI being removed, there is still one feature missing kind of, we used to be able to set RGB colors for circles and such, but if you used rgba, it worked too, and it have been pretty usefull for highlighting some areas Can we have that in the new UI too ? i can see the color picker recognize it but the input is rejected when i press enter
1705521562
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I would like to see this go away; or just updated to a "Learn More" about our New Toolbar.
Would have been nice to give the community some warning this change is going be mandatory implemented as of 1/16/2024. Please at least can we have a roadmap of changes and some kind of ETA of when things will go live. This would really help your Roll20 community and managed annoyance implementing things without any notice. Ta  
"Beta Features" is new. It is for the "new" compendium, Map folders etc. vÍnce said: I would like to see this go away; or just updated to a "Learn More" about our New Toolbar.
1705526125
Gauss
Forum Champion
Matt said: Would have been nice to give the community some warning this change is going be mandatory implemented as of 1/16/2024. Please at least can we have a roadmap of changes and some kind of ETA of when things will go live. This would really help your Roll20 community and managed annoyance implementing things without any notice. Ta   Hi Matt, this information was published about a month ago HERE . 
1705528329
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
TheMarkus1204 said: "Beta Features" is new. It is for the "new" compendium, Map folders etc. Gotcha.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I've gotten so used to closing it every time I open the vtt I'm not even reading it anymore. ;-)
Groch said: Hi, With the old UI being removed, there is still one feature missing kind of, we used to be able to set RGB colors for circles and such, but if you used rgba, it worked too, and it have been pretty usefull for highlighting some areas Can we have that in the new UI too ? i can see the color picker recognize it but the input is rejected when i press enter We're tracking this, and we think we should be able to add support for this again pretty quickly. I'll keep you posted.
1705531079

Edited 1705531556
Jay
Pro
Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. The zoom bar's definitely too big IMO. I also wish there was a way to adjust the size of the new toolbars in general. Another problem is that the measurement tool now always gives measurements in squares along with whatever unit you choose in the page settings. This feels unnecessary when you're not using grids and there's no way to turn it off that I can find. An option to use a separate Light/Dark mode for the sidebar and the chat/character sheets section would be nice too. Gauss said: Hi Dayric,  Could you elaborate on the problem with the yellow banner's functionality? What about it is difficult to use? I don't know if his complaint's the same as mine, but the red banner's higher-contrast and easier to move around and notice at a glance. It's also just a sharper color overall.
1705531245
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. The zoom bar's definitely too big IMO. I also wish there was a way to adjust the size of the new toolbars in general. Another problem is that the measurement tool now always gives measurements in squares along with whatever unit you choose in the page settings. This feels unnecessary when you're not using grids and there's no way to turn it off that I can find. An option to use a separate Light/Dark mode for the sidebar and the chat/character sheets section would be nice too. Hi again Jay,  You can make the Zoom bar smaller by switching it to Percentile as shown in this post . 
1705531645

Edited 1705531654
Jay
Pro
Gauss said: Jay said: Vermillion said: Not going to lie I liked the original UI way more and I am annoyed that I am forced to use this new UI that is IMO worse than the old one. Biggest annoyance is that I cannot hide the zoom function and now it is not in the corner and takes up too much of the screen. The zoom bar's definitely too big IMO. I also wish there was a way to adjust the size of the new toolbars in general. Another problem is that the measurement tool now always gives measurements in squares along with whatever unit you choose in the page settings. This feels unnecessary when you're not using grids and there's no way to turn it off that I can find. An option to use a separate Light/Dark mode for the sidebar and the chat/character sheets section would be nice too. Hi again Jay,  You can make the Zoom bar smaller by switching it to Percentile as shown in this post . That option's not there for me.
1705531651
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Groch said: Hi, With the old UI being removed, there is still one feature missing kind of, we used to be able to set RGB colors for circles and such, but if you used rgba, it worked too, and it have been pretty usefull for highlighting some areas Can we have that in the new UI too ? i can see the color picker recognize it but the input is rejected when i press enter We're tracking this, and we think we should be able to add support for this again pretty quickly. I'll keep you posted. I would love to see the return of RGBA across the board. :)
With all these wonderful updates can we get a way to organize the stuff in the Collections tab?
1705533751

Edited 1705539784
Gauss
Forum Champion
Jay said: Gauss said: Hi again Jay,  You can make the Zoom bar smaller by switching it to Percentile as shown in this post . That option's not there for me. Could you supply a screenshot of your My Settings tab?  Edit: Please make sure your Beta features are turned on as the setting for that is still under Beta testing.  Also, you can turn Beta features on, switch the Zoom bar, then turn the Beta features back off if you'd like and the Zoom bar will remain switched.
Riley D. said: Groch said: Hi, With the old UI being removed, there is still one feature missing kind of, we used to be able to set RGB colors for circles and such, but if you used rgba, it worked too, and it have been pretty usefull for highlighting some areas Can we have that in the new UI too ? i can see the color picker recognize it but the input is rejected when i press enter We're tracking this, and we think we should be able to add support for this again pretty quickly. I'll keep you posted. Awesome ! Thanks :)
Hmm, so this new UI doesn't have BG (background) nor FG (foreground) layers, or am I missing something? How can I move my assets that I had in the BG to the Token layer? Right now they're stuck and I can't move them. Can someone help?