Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Characters no longer showing the game the character was added from

Edited 1707376395
Just had a look at the Characters Feature (formerly Vault) and noticed something strange: When hovering over the date it showed the title of the game the character was added from. Instead of doing this, it now shows that the character was created in the "Characters" feature. Just a look at the date proves this wrong! WHY is it no longer showing the game, the character is from?!
You're right. That broke recently when we made some changes to how the import works. We'll get that fixed right away. Thanks for pointing that out!
This has been fixed as of last week. Sorry for the late response.
Andrew Searles said: This has been fixed as of last week. Sorry for the late response. SADLY NOT: NONE of my characters was created with your new "My Characters" feature! And YET, all of them STILL show "Created with Roll20 Characters"!

Edited 1709067116
Gauss
Forum Champion
My guess is that they are assigned that tag at the time of importing, so while the process of assigning the tag is correct now the characters that were imported before the fix still have an incorrect tag.  I would suggest importing a new character to see if it gets the correct tag. 
Gauss said: My guess is that they are assigned that tag at the time of importing, so while the process of assigning the tag is correct now the characters that were imported before the fix still have an incorrect tag.  I would suggest importing a new character to see if it gets the correct tag.  Thing is, it showed the correct Game before! Then there was the change with Characters and since then it shows this wrong label...
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Gauss said: My guess is that they are assigned that tag at the time of importing, so while the process of assigning the tag is correct now the characters that were imported before the fix still have an incorrect tag.  I would suggest importing a new character to see if it gets the correct tag.  Thing is, it showed the correct Game before! Then there was the change with Characters and since then it shows this wrong label... Yes, but that doesn't mean that the problem was not fixed. It just means that the fix is not retroactive.  Please try to import a character fresh and see if the problem persists for that character, not previously imported characters. 

Edited 1709206189
Tested it yesterday. A newly imported Character (via the old character Vault cause the import via "My Characters" is way too confusing! Not regarding the process but regarding everything else! ("Before the Import" 1 Sheet,  "After Import" 2 Sheets! HOW? It is STILL 1 Sheet I am going to import, NOT 2!) has the correct game when hovering over! BUT you cannot expect me to delete all my Characters that are in the Vault right now, just to re-import them for the correct game to be shown! Since this is on Roll20s side, Roll20 needs to fix this! Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Gauss said: My guess is that they are assigned that tag at the time of importing, so while the process of assigning the tag is correct now the characters that were imported before the fix still have an incorrect tag.  I would suggest importing a new character to see if it gets the correct tag.  Thing is, it showed the correct Game before! Then there was the change with Characters and since then it shows this wrong label... Yes, but that doesn't mean that the problem was not fixed. It just means that the fix is not retroactive.  Please try to import a character fresh and see if the problem persists for that character, not previously imported characters. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
TheMarkus1204 said: Tested it yesterday. A newly imported Character (via the old character Vault cause the import via "My Characters" is way too confusing! Not regarding the process but regarding everything else! ("Before the Import" 1 Sheet,  "After Import" 2 Sheets! HOW? It is STILL 1 Sheet I am going to import, NOT 2!) has the correct game when hovering over! BUT you cannot expect me to delete all my Characters that are in the Vault right now, just to re-import them for the correct game to be shown! Since this is on Roll20s side, Roll20 needs to fix this! I expect nothing, except perhaps to not conflate issues. :) In that rather confusing paragraph, I think you said the problem on a new import was resolved? If not please correct that understanding.  In bug reporting it is helpful to separate whether or not the problem is past or current.  If importing a character does not have the same problem then the problem has been fixed. Previously imported characters not being updated with that fix is probably because there is not much the Devs can do about that without potentially damaging the characters. Risk vs Reward.   Regarding your thoughts on the confusing presentation of importing. I agree, they are confusing. Perhaps you should file a bug report on that? Here is the  Help Center link . 

Edited 1709301926
Importing a new character fixed it! BUT I imported it through the Character Vault, not the "My Characters". And that is what I said above! I also said that I am NOT going to re-import all of my 70 / 80 characters just because of this... This is a BUG on Roll20s side and even though they fixed it for new characters, I sure hope they do it for the older ones as well... But I have little hope for that! As for the future, I will continue using the Character Vault! And now for clarification my experience of trying to import a character via "My Characters": As for the My Characters import: I selected a game and a sheet I wanted to import and after that I saw: "Before the Import": The sheet I want to import! "After the Import": The sheet I want to import AND a COPY of that Sheet! And since I DON'T want to LINK the to be imported Sheet with the game, I did it via the old Character Vault! IF I import a character to the Vault, it is for SAFEKEEPING, not for LINKING to any game and risk by deleting it in "My Characters" deleting it in the game as well!!! Gauss said: TheMarkus1204 said: Tested it yesterday. A newly imported Character (via the old character Vault cause the import via "My Characters" is way too confusing! Not regarding the process but regarding everything else! ("Before the Import" 1 Sheet,  "After Import" 2 Sheets! HOW? It is STILL 1 Sheet I am going to import, NOT 2!) has the correct game when hovering over! BUT you cannot expect me to delete all my Characters that are in the Vault right now, just to re-import them for the correct game to be shown! Since this is on Roll20s side, Roll20 needs to fix this! I expect nothing, except perhaps to not conflate issues. :) In that rather confusing paragraph, I think you said the problem on a new import was resolved? If not please correct that understanding.  In bug reporting it is helpful to separate whether or not the problem is past or current.  If importing a character does not have the same problem then the problem has been fixed. Previously imported characters not being updated with that fix is probably because there is not much the Devs can do about that without potentially damaging the characters. Risk vs Reward.   Regarding your thoughts on the confusing presentation of importing. I agree, they are confusing. Perhaps you should file a bug report on that? Here is the  Help Center link .