Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Issue with vision for token.

After being away for almost 2 years i am getting ready to DM again for the Shadow Of The Dragon Queen Campaign.  In the past i resisted using the dynamic lighting and always stayed with legacy.  That being said i am trying to work with the new dynamic lighting and I have given a token sight but they can see everything in a map in a straight line from one side of the map to the other.  I tried to give the character night vision with 60 and dimming at 30.  They can still see across the map.  To see if i could affect any change the distance to 20 and dimming at 10 with no effect.  What am i doing wrong?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi David! It sounds like the most likely reason is that Daylight Mode is turned on. That illuminates the entire map. This is useful for daytime encounters where sight blocking is important, but light sources are not. If this is not the case, some screen shots of page and token settings might be helpful.
I checked and daylight mode is not on. Token settings.  Token preview
When i was just moving the token in preview mode you can almost tell that the night vision settings of 10 with dimming at 5 looks like it is working.  Just not sure why the rest of the map is lit up.  There is no light source on the map until i give the token vision.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hmm. Check that the map image is not emitting any light. This has tripped up folks in the past. Only the GM layer is safe from accidental illuminators. If you continue to have issues, I'd be happy to come in and check around, if you want to PM me an invitation.

Edited 1709010369
Check the page settings .  Is the Grid Cell Distance set to 5', and the Cell Width set to 1? Can you post a screenshot of the DL layer? You'll see a small square in the center of any light source on the DL layer, which will help discover if there are additional light sources that you are not aware of.
Jarren - that is exactly what it was.  There was light in the cave and the torch icon was almost non existent and i never saw it.  I think it is going to take time for me to get used to all of the changes from the last time i played. Thank you both for your help.