Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D5E] SPELL attack type not using my Spell Attack Bonus, instead using INT mod

In my character sheet, I have a weapon that uses SPELL as its attack and damage types, however when rolling hit/damage with this, the modifier is pulling from my INT mod (4) instead of my Spell Attack Bonus (7), making the roll incorrect. Here are images showcasing these: [My Spell Attack Bonus] [My weapon] (I put 6 to the bonuses instead of 3 to compensate for the incorrect values used, but this is not ideal) [The output of rolling them] If I re-create this weapon via Macros, it also shows that it's using "4[INT]", and not "7[SPELL]" like it should.

Edited 1710855187
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi,  D&D 5e's spell damage mechanic does not use Spell Attack Bonus in the damage calculation.  In the case above, the damage formula should be 1d6 + 4[Int] +3[Mod] (assuming a miscellaneous modifier of 3) The Spell Attack Bonus is your relevant spellcaster modifier (Intelligence) plus your Proficiency Bonus (PB). PB is not applied to damage.
That is good to know regarding the Damage Calculation. Although, this occurs in the Attack one as well Should this utilize the Spell Attack Bonus (7; 4[INT]+3[PB]) while also adding my PB to the weapon itself, since I am also proficient with the weapon?
Hiya, Homebrew rules aside, PB is only added once even if two different factors suggest it should be added:- from PHB  Your proficiency bonus can’t be added to a single die roll or other number more than once. For example, if two different rules say you can add your proficiency bonus to a Wisdom saving throw, you nevertheless add the bonus only once when you make the save. Occasionally, your proficiency bonus might be multiplied or divided (doubled or halved, for example) before you apply it. For example, the rogue’s Expertise feature doubles the proficiency bonus for certain ability checks. If a circumstance suggests that your proficiency bonus applies more than once to the same roll, you still add it only once and multiply or divide it only once.

Edited 1710888534
Gauss
Forum Champion
.█████╗ ██╔══██╗ . said: That is good to know regarding the Damage Calculation. Although, this occurs in the Attack one as well Should this utilize the Spell Attack Bonus (7; 4[INT]+3[PB]) while also adding my PB to the weapon itself, since I am also proficient with the weapon? It is adding the 7. +4[INT] +3[PROF] is how the template is representing the bonuses.  It will not add proficiency twice which is what you are effectively asking for.  Prof and PB are the same thing. 
I desire to ask then, if the SPELL thing only points to the modifier itself, what is the point in using it and not just the actual modifier? I am not sure I understand the point in using it

Edited 1710901215
Gauss
Forum Champion
Because there are other elements that can be added, elements that are applied to Spell Attack Bonus. For example, a magic item that boosts your Spell Attack Bonus.  By referencing "Spell" it pulls in all modifiers that apply to spells, without you having to apply multiple modifiers on every custom spell attack and spell damage. 
hmm, I see. So if a pair of gloves gave me +4 on Spell Attack Bonus, it would apply to things using SPELL like above?

Edited 1710901597
Gauss
Forum Champion
Assuming the gloves correctly have that in their mods, yes. A good example of this is Wand of the War Mage.  It has in the Mods: "Item Type: Adventuring Gear, Spell Attack +1"
That's interesting to know. I might experiment with that a bit to more fully understand it. So in essence, SPELL doesn't use Proficiency Bonus in Attack/Damage calculations, but instead Spell Casting Modifier (ie INT) + things other than PB that would add onto Spell Attack Bonus?

Edited 1710901950
Gauss
Forum Champion
Spell Attack = Spell Casting Modifier (ie INT) + PB + other mods.  Spell Attack Bonus is just shorthand for referencing the above calculation. Spell Damage MAY include Spell Casting Modifier (ie INT) but will almost never include PB unless the spell or a special ability states it does. Spell Damage may or may not include other mods.  An example of PB applied to spell damage: A Genie Warlock will add their PB to any attack's damage rolls once per round, including spell attack's damage rolls.  In short, the spell determines what is added. 
So to clarify as well, if an equipped item has a spell bonus in its mods, what would it take for that to automatically apply to an attack that uses SPELL? Would it automatically apply, or would I have to manually add the bonus in the MOD bit after SPELL?

Edited 1710902429
Gauss
Forum Champion
You set the spell to use "SPELL" that should take it into account.
I've tried looking into the info using the SE Sheet (&lt;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/5ESheet" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/5ESheet</a>&gt;), but am not quite able to find how to go about this. How does one go about doing so?
Gauss
Forum Champion
I am sorry, I don't understand your question.&nbsp; What info are you talking about?&nbsp;
About setting the spell/item/etc to use SPELL, so that its bonuses can be applied automatically to rolls that use the SPELL option I attempted to give an item the mod of "Spell Attack +1", and although it did increase my Spell Attack Bonus to 8, it did not seem to reflect on my weapon that uses SPELL

Edited 1710903713
Gauss
Forum Champion
That is because the 5e by Roll20 character sheet has limitations and quirks.&nbsp; If the spell in the Attacks section were linked to a spell in the Spells section it would update. But since it is not you need to finish updating it by manually putting +1 in the mod section for the attack bonus. This probably rises to the level of a bug, but since Roll20 is working on the next iteration of the D&amp;D 5e sheet they are probably not going to fix the old sheet's bugs.&nbsp;
Ah, I see. I am glad to at least know this now. Thank you for letting me know. So, to recap, my setup is not actually bugged, it's just searching for my Spellcasting mod + any Non-PB Spell-Attack Bonuses (which is bugged, but I don't have any so it makes no difference), and PB is never used in Damage rolls unless stated otherwise or homebrewed in?