Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there any syntax that would make searching art assets useful?

Text searches of my purchased assets rarely return anything useful, even when I *know* the term I'm searching on is in an asset's name. I've got dozens of assets with "lever" in the name in my library, and a text search returns exactly none. I'm hoping it's possible to use wildcards in a search, but if so, what would the valid syntax be? Asterisks definitely don't function as wildcards. Maybe something else does? Are there any tips for making searching for existing assets easier? I don't want to have to manually add things I've purchased to My Library in order to find them; ultimately, that would just lead to a cluttered, unsearchable mess in a new location. Roll20 has improved in so many ways, I'm surprised searching for art assets still feels very 10-years-ago.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Adam Is Up To Something! The search function on the Art Library is often painful, that is for sure. That being said, there are a few things that can help: 1) Make sure you set the drop down to the category you want, or choose "everything". I've had innumerable fruitless searches before realizing that the search was looking for things tagged "token", but I was looking for a mapping asset. 2) If you are searching for an entire set, putting the marketplace number of the set will bring it up almost instantly. This is more of a last-ditch effort, since it requires going to the marketplace page for the set and getting the number from the URL. 3) Use a Google image search instead. Putting  site:marketplace.roll20.net SEARCHTERMS in the search field will limit the search to assets in the marketplace. I frequently use this because the results are quicker to read and are linked to the marketplace page. Of course, then you are still left with finding the original asset, so again, not the best option. I'd be interested in what other users have come up with to mitigate this admitted pain point.
Gold
Forum Champion
I've got nothin', but,  Whenever web-image search gets as good as iPhone Photo search is, with object recognition... that level of Search tech could be a big help here.
I mean, I'd settle on viable wildcards and a guarantee that the search will look at the text of the names of my assets.