Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Monster rolls are all set to "Always Whisper Rolls" and default setting wont change this

Greetings, I have just purchased Storm Kings Thunder and when rolling from a Monster Character Sheet its always whispered, so I check the character sheet for the monster and its set that way So the settings for the game are set to Never Whisper rolls, this does not change the Character sheet or over ride and i have to go into each monster character sheet and set it to  Never Whisper rolls, only then can the players see the rolls what am i missing here ? the adventure settings should be over-riding the Monster sheet setting but its just not the case Cheers Bernie
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Bernie,  After making changes to the Campaign Details page's settings you then have to apply those changes to the game.  Launch your game Go to the My Settings tab (top right corner) Scroll down to Miscellaneous Click Apply Default Settings Checkmark the desired setting you want to apply.  Apply it and WAIT for the nearly invisibile progress bar to complete. 
Thanks Gauss, So that fixed it for rolling from a character/monster on roll 20 , still having no luck when rolling from a Beyond 20 tab via VTT to Roll 20 The roll comes through to the GM but not players , Beyond 20 is set to never whisper on the quick settings from the D20 in the lower right Cheers Bernie 
Beyond20 whisper settings have to be set through the Beyond20 extension settings pop up, not on the D&D Beyond character settings. 
In Roll20  this looks like its by design , I have set Do not whisper rolls in the game settings for My Game ( playing Storm Kings ) and the default settings are applied when the game is running  , so until the Token is showed to players and thereby added to the characters journals all rolls are to the GM and whispered (to GM) , and yeah once I show the the Goblin, Orc, Ogre etc its gets added to the Journal and rolls are shows as Bernie (GM) and the players can see these. I understand why this is important as the GM may want to keep the monsters rolls whispered, like stealth or perception when they are stalking the characters, the way I have been working this is to add it to players Journals before the combat starts , its a bit manual and would like to just have this as the default setting if that's possible so i don't have to add the monster to the journal before each game I'm running. Cheers

Edited 1712945217
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Bernie,  That is not how things are designed in Roll20. Show to Players is not required to not whisper.  Are you rolling from DnD Beyond or are you rolling from Roll20?  It is worth remembering that DnD Beyond and Beyond20 is not part of Roll20 and have their own ways of doing things. 

Edited 1712955936
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Further note: Show to Players puts that character in a player's journal. They can see the bio page, but they do not gain control of or edit ability of the given creature. This would not effect a change in its whisper settings. (ignoring anything Beyond20 might be doing—I don't use it).