Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Level Draining Characters (D&D 5E)

Hi Team - Just had a PC get level drained and need to roll back one of their levels. I thought Charactermancer would support this, but it doesn't seem to... or am I missing how to do it? If it's not Charactermancer, then how do you remove levels?
In the Charactermancer (press the 'Launch Level+ Charactermancer' level up button like normal) you can type '-1' into the numerical field for how many levels to increase, and that will remove the levels from the character. That should recalculate stats that depend on the level  (such as Proficiency Bonus) .  However, you'll still need to manually delete any features that were added from that level - E.g. a level 3 fighter gets the 'Improved Critical' feature, and that will still remain in the Features and Traits section if they are changed to level 2.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Taz,  Out of curiosity which creature is causing level drain? I didn't think D&D 5e had any level drain rules (that having been left behind in D&D 3.X). 
Gauss said: Hi Taz,  Out of curiosity which creature is causing level drain? I didn't think D&D 5e had any level drain rules (that having been left behind in D&D 3.X).  One I pulled from an earlier edition to confuse a know-all player who tends to meta-game  ;-) 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhh, well that would be a good reason why it isn't naturally part of the Charactermancer. Level draining was removed after 3.X. 
Jarren said: In the Charactermancer (press the 'Launch Level+ Charactermancer' level up button like normal) you can type '-1' into the numerical field for how many levels to increase, and that will remove the levels from the character. That should recalculate stats that depend on the level  (such as Proficiency Bonus) .  However, you'll still need to manually delete any features that were added from that level - E.g. a level 3 fighter gets the 'Improved Critical' feature, and that will still remain in the Features and Traits section if they are changed to level 2. Ah, didn't try typing the -1 in... then it'll be a manual job. Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would strongly suggest duplicating the character first, in case something goes catastrophically wrong.
keithcurtis said: I would strongly suggest duplicating the character first, in case something goes catastrophically wrong. Yep - I have already so advised the Player that's changing the PC.
Gauss said: Ahhh, well that would be a good reason why it isn't naturally part of the Charactermancer. Level draining was removed after 3.X.  Yeah, that would be an explanation. However, I would still like the option to be there (to duplicate certain other service's functions ;-) ) just in case you mistakenly add two levels instead of one... or accidentally level up when you just want to see your options...