Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What will happen with existing 5E campaigns and characters in September?

Specifically after the release of the 2024 PHB (and subsequently the 2024 DMG)? (assumed we pre-ordered the books) Will our campaigns be automatically updated? Will our characters, their feats, spells, etc. be updated? Are we able to access the new content from an existing campaign, or do we have to convert it somehow? Or do we have to start a new campaign with the new rules? Will it be something weird where the compendium gets overwritten with 2024 content, but we can't access new character content without opting  in to the new character sheets? Etc.  Basically I have a long-running campaign and I'm trying to understand exactly how it's going to affect that since I don't expect it will finish before September. I've been searching posts but I haven't been able to find any kind of detailed information. Thanks for any info.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Anthiny! None of my answers are official, of course, but from what can be gleaned through the blog roadmaps: The new character sheet will become available. You can continue to use the old character sheet if you wish, but it will be unlikely to be compatible with the new material You will be able to convert your characters to the new sheet. This will likely involve making a new copy of your game and selecting the new sheet. All characters and NPCs should be converted automatically. How good this conversion will be remains to be seen. There may be some growing pains. You will be able to access both old and new content in your compendium. How well old compendium content will work with the new sheet remains to be seen, but my guess is that it will be fine for things like spells and magic items. Character creation may be more difficult, but it should be possible. Nothing you own will be destroyed. If you bought the 2014-D&D Xanatahr's Guide for example, it should still be fine. It should work fine with the new sheet. I am guessing it will be usable with the new sheet. Your best place to ask such questions for official answers would be the official sheet feedback thread, which is dev-curated.
Thanks, Keith.
Anthony said: Specifically after the release of the 2024 PHB (and subsequently the 2024 DMG)? (assumed we pre-ordered the books) Will our campaigns be automatically updated? Will our characters, their feats, spells, etc. be updated? Are we able to access the new content from an existing campaign, or do we have to convert it somehow? Or do we have to start a new campaign with the new rules? Will it be something weird where the compendium gets overwritten with 2024 content, but we can't access new character content without opting  in to the new character sheets? Etc.  Basically I have a long-running campaign and I'm trying to understand exactly how it's going to affect that since I don't expect it will finish before September. I've been searching posts but I haven't been able to find any kind of detailed information. Thanks for any info. Hey Anthony! I can address each of these one by one: Will our campaigns be automatically updated? No, you can continue to play with the old character sheets on D&D 2014 as long as you'd like. Will our characters, their feats, spells, etc. be updated? No, same as above. Are we able to access the new content from an existing campaign, or do we have to convert it somehow? Or do we have to start a new campaign with the new rules? You will be able to access all 2024 content on all your current games, although the functionality will be limited compared to the new sheet. Will it be something weird where the compendium gets overwritten with 2024 content, but we can't access new character content without opting in to the new character sheets? No compendium data is being overwritten. All the original D&D5e content will still be there and accessible.  More broadly, you won't be required to convert anything in order to use the new content in September. You can keep playing 5e as long as you'd like, and mix and match the new rules as needed into your existing campaign. When you're ready, we'll have tools available to convert sheets and campaigns to the new content. A lot of this and more is also addressed in our D&D 2024 FAQ !