Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

PC Tokens drop too big on maps when pulled from Journals; drop in normal when pulled from My Library

Trying to get my PC tokens set up for a DnD5e campaign. I want them to be able to pull their tokens in from their journals, with vision and all set up. Trouble is, the tokens that are in their journals drop in much too big for the maps; the tokens I have in My Library for them come in at the right size for the map grid. Can I correct this so we aren't constantly resizing?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
This sounds like what happens when you setup the default token on a Map which doesn’t have a default grid size. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Aquaricorn! I'm going to start with the assumption that the PC tokens are ones that you have set up and saved as default, and are expecting to come out as set up.  If you have not saved as default, or have not saved as default as the very last step in token setup, then let me know and we can step backward to token setup. The most common cause of default tokens coming in at an unexptected size is if the defaults were set up on a map that was not using a standard grid. If you have set the cell width to anything other than 1 (no subdivisions), then they will not scale properly on other maps. Create or navigate to a page where the grid has a Cell Width of 1 on the page settings. Set up your tokens how you want them to appear. Save as default as the very last step. (If you make any changes afterward, they will be unique to that token and will not be reflected in the default.) They should then drop to any map that has a different cell width at the proper size for that map. If none of this helps, then a detailed step-by-step description of how you are setting up tokens and saving them as default might be helpful for us to figure out where the process is breaking for you. Here are some links that may help. Here is the wiki article on  Linking Tokens to Journals Here is a  video  which demonstrates the procedure
keithcurtis said: Hi Aquaricorn! I'm going to start with the assumption that the PC tokens are ones that you have set up and saved as default, and are expecting to come out as set up.  If you have not saved as default, or have not saved as default as the very last step in token setup, then let me know and we can step backward to token setup. The most common cause of default tokens coming in at an unexptected size is if the defaults were set up on a map that was not using a standard grid. If you have set the cell width to anything other than 1 (no subdivisions), then they will not scale properly on other maps. Create or navigate to a page where the grid has a Cell Width of 1 on the page settings. Set up your tokens how you want them to appear. Save as default as the very last step. (If you make any changes afterward, they will be unique to that token and will not be reflected in the default.) They should then drop to any map that has a different cell width at the proper size for that map. If none of this helps, then a detailed step-by-step description of how you are setting up tokens and saving them as default might be helpful for us to figure out where the process is breaking for you. Here are some links that may help. Here is the wiki article on  Linking Tokens to Journals Here is a  video  which demonstrates the procedure @Keith – well the map I'm using as a testbed says it's cell width = 1, but I'm going to try this on a blank page. I recall having this exact issue once before with setting up tokens. So I'm looking at this blank page, I have my Characters – the PC Characters – and they've got their tokens and their "controlled by" set up and all that. When you say save-as-default as the last step, is it starting from the +Character>Edit>Edit Token Properties route, the My Library>Token Settings>Represents/Controlled By, or something else altogether?
Update – I think I got it working! One of my maps is weird so maybe I just need to tweak it for them on that one; but going forward, I can try to keep it to 1 cell dimensions.
Thanks for the help!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent! To clarify, when you "sve as default" you are telling Rool20, "When I pull this token from the journal tab onto the VTT, I want ti to be exactly like this". Any changes you make afterward are unique to that instance of the token. Changes won't affect any other token that represents that character, or the current default token. So when I say pressing the default button is the last step, that means after you have changed everything about that token that you want to be the settings for any subsequent drag onto the tabletop. You are essentially saving a file called "default token". A metaphor would be an MS Word doc. Once you save it, that is what you will see when you reopen it. If you make a copy and change that copy, you aren't changing the original file. If you open the original, make changes and close without saving, you have not changed your original file. Saving a default token is like saving that file.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
A good practice is to maintain a token page. This is a page where you know the settings are correct and used expressly for setting up tokens. It also makes for a handy place to keep groups of tokens so you can quickly copy and paste the entire party, or all of the various types of goblins you might have, etc. Every Roll20 module ships with a token page.