Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

World Map Visibility Question

In my upcoming DnD campaign, my PCs will be operating in a somewhat open-world - or at least large-world - environment. Early on, to help give them direction, they're going to get suggestions about directions they should go. How I envision this is on a world map page that's mostly blacked-out (since they haven't explored it yet), and as they move about it becomes more visible to them. But at the start, on the world map, they'd just see their party icon and then icons indicating where they should go to advance the story. My question is what's the best way to show that. Currently, I have it so that there are light-walls around tokens in the areas that they'll learn they should go to. If I could just have the icons without the light-walls that'd be all the better, kinda like how when a player token doesn't have visibility on a page and so they only see their token against the black. But I don't know if that works for all 5 players when they're on the world map page. The way it's set up now the light-walls "work" if I ctrl+L on the party token, since the party token has visibility and the various icons indicating plot points also have visibility, but if there's an easier way I'm all for it. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Use a single party token, with all the players having control of it. Give it vision and night vision (or light) to a distance that you want them to see the world.  Example: if one hex is 40 miles and you want them to see a single hex aorund them you'd give them 40 miles as their night vision or light source. Next, if you want them to see major points you can put a similar token in each city etc. But with a distance equaling the city itself, no surroundings. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
The difficulty with Dynamic Lighting approaches to this problem is that the players can purposely or accidentally sweep the map and discover everything. They can also accidentally drop their own token onto the map and reveal a section of the map. I prefer one (or both) of the following options which take more work but make sure details are not revealed to early. Manual Fog of War. Place your map, and use the fog of war option to reveal the map as it is discovered. Tokens that serve as arrow markers can point the way toward points of interest. GM Layer. My favorite method takes a bit more work. The base map is the world as the players understand it (maybe it is a representation of a map the characters have). You can then hide any number of secrets on the GM layer (cities, rivers, an important destination, a significant tree, etc.). When players learn about something, you can move it from the GM layer to the Map layer. Combining the two allows you to have sections of the map where the characters have no knowledge, and sections of the map where they might know the basics but then fill in the details as they discover new points of interest.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Gauss said: Use a single party token, with all the players having control of it. Give it vision and night vision (or light) to a distance that you want them to see the world.  Example: if one hex is 40 miles and you want them to see a single hex aorund them you'd give them 40 miles as their night vision or light source. Next, if you want them to see major points you can put a similar token in each city etc. But with a distance equaling the city itself, no surroundings.  I do like dropping invisible tokens with limited sight onto points of interest in unexplored. That is quite nice.