Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Switching spell slots to spell points on an NPC character sheet

Is that possible? The setting my group and I all settled on uses the spell point variant, which is helpful for me, because I understand a points system easily, but I've never figured out the slot system, despite all efforts to the contrary, and trying to figure that out while also being a first-time GM would make this more difficult than it already is. The problem is, I have an NPC possibly-a-villain, possibly-not, character who's a 16th level spellcaster, and the NPC character sheet automatically assigned slots to the spell levels. And I can't find an option to switch that to the points variant. Please tell me there's one, or else the nightmare of tracking her points usage while juggling her and several other characters/creatures in an encounter is going to make me curl up in the corner and cry. :(
Assuming you're playing D&D 5th Edition using the 'D&D 5E by Roll20' character sheet:  You can temporarily change the NPC to a PC, change the 'Spell Points' option to 'On', then change the sheet back to 'NPC'.  This will display the number of spell points that are required to cast each spell.  However, there is no tracking on the NPC sheet for spell points.  On a PC sheet that is done using a repeating resource, and it doesn't automatically happen when casting spells.  For an NPC you could create a custom attribute on the Attributes and Abilities tab an track it there.  If you have a free bar on a linked token you could link that bar and track how many spell points have been used by the NPC. Otherwise you'll have to find some other way to track how many spell points have been used by the NPC.
Oh thank you! I hadn't known I could switch the sheet type like that. You are a life saver! I know how to do the custom attribute thing, but I was at a loss how to use that for spell points. You have made me a very happy baby GM. :D Thank you so much!