Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Temporary Subscription Trickery

So, I have an annual Plus subscription and am looking to import a map made in Dungeon Alchemist. However, the jpg is 30MB and the alert that pops up tells me that the limit for (even) Pro is 20MB. DA has a function to export maps for import into roll20, but I can't without API support. Even if I went all the way up to Pro, I'm not sure if it'd let me import this page, either. But here's my question. If I were to switch my subscription from Annual Plus to Monthly Pro, would all the rest of my Plus subscription be lost? If I wanted to switch back from Pro to Annual Plus after paying ten bucks just to be able to import my map, would I be charged for an Annual Plus subscription all over again?  I really just want to import my map. Sure, I can resize it and all that, but even if I have to take a temporary Pro account to get it in there with all the bells and whistles, I'd just like to know that I'm not going to lose a heap of cash to do so. Ten bucks is fine (because it apparently has to be), but a sixty dollar subscription being lost would be a real deal breaker. Hope this is the right forum for this post! 😅
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Will,  I think in order to upgrade for just one month would require contacting the Devs via the Help Center .  Regarding your map, 30 MB is really big. What are the dimensions? How many pixels per square is the map? 

Edited 1721091916
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Will said: So, I have an annual Plus subscription and am looking to import a map made in Dungeon Alchemist. However, the jpg is 30MB and the alert that pops up tells me that the limit for (even) Pro is 20MB. That alert is telling you that 30MB is just too big. That's not an unrealistic limit, especially for a JPG (what the hell?!). You need to download that image and compress it. That is ignoring the question you asked, but it is the best procedure, That JPG is way too big.

Edited 1721075832
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Will! Gauss has the answer you are looking  for (contact the team for special subscription/account questions). However, toward you other question: does Dungeon Alchemist export directly from within the app, or prompt you to select a map image you have already exported? If the latter, you can make a temporary copy of the map with a high compression rate, just to get it into Roll20 with "all the bells and whistles". Once that is done, you can use image editing software to slice the map image up into smaller pieces that can be separately uploaded and then tiled together in Roll20. Also, GiGs is almost certainly right that a 30mb jpeg is probably too large an image in general. See if you can get by with a lower resolution or greater compression rate. Screen resolution for Roll20 is 70 pixels per grid cell at 100%. Maximum zoom is 250%, so you would never need more that 185 pixels per cell. Even then, that's overkill on almost any map. Most maps on Roll20 modules are of the 70px variety, unless the publisher provided high enough resolution originals for 140px maps. And even then, such maps will still be downsampled if they are inordinately large in dimension.
Appreciate the responses, everyone, and understand what you were all saying about the map being too high-res.  Dungeon Alchemist exports with a txt file separate from the image that implements walls and lighting and other elements built on the map, but requires API access to use, so I'm not really sure how reliable it is. I exported the jpg in a smaller format and trimmed it down further and still have a pretty damn large one that uploaded just fine, so I think things are more or less settled with this for now. Thanks again for the help!