Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Poor setup of Dungeons of Drakkenheim

I just found Dungeons of Drakkenheim at a huge discount. Had been looking at the campaign for some time, and now I finally got it. But I must say that I'm very disappointed by the way it is set up in Roll20. It is far below usual standard from other publishers. Did I do something wrong, or was it a low quality product that was put on discount this week? Battle maps are great and equal those I got in the Kickstarter some years back. But... Dynamic lighting lines are missing in some maps where I would have expected them. On all 60+ battle maps I need to remove the daylight setting and I need to click the toggle that prevents characters to move through walls. There are no light sources placed on the Lighting layer even if there clearly is a light source in the map. All monsters and NPC's are in the Journal, but extremely many of the tokens look the same or do not even have a picture of the monster. The full campaign book is in the Journal, nicely structured and with plenty of lings to other pages, but apart from the monster stats there is nothing else in the Journal. No handouts, no magic items, no maps to show players. And the game consumes 5-6 GB memory from my computer when I run it. I'm disappointed, and really happy that i didn't buy it at the usual $40.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Henning E.,  Roll20 has an excellent Refund Policy if you purchase a product and don't like it.  With that said, I would contact the publisher as most products are converted by the publisher or someone representing them. 
Gold
Forum Champion
That is a shame that the Conversion into Roll20 sounds less than ideal, on most of those points. Only the last point caught my attention, as something that involves the way Roll20 itself runs. I'm going to look more into this, and see if I can replicate the issue where this module is using 5-6GB of memory.  In my Roll20 games of other modules, I often see a tab using up to about 1 GB of memory. Not sure I have seen one balloon to 6GB before.  Henning E. said: And the game consumes 5-6 GB memory from my computer when I run it.
When I look at the battle map file I received as part of the Kickstarter, I see than most files are 5-10 MB in size. There might be approximately 55 of these maps in the game. Could the problem be that a lot of memory is consumed if the files in Roll20 have the same size and I'm swapping around between many of these files?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Henning, you can test that by performing a hard refresh, then note your memory usage. Next, move to another page, see if the memory usage increases. Keep doing this until you are satisfied of what is happening one way or the other.  However, my guess is something weird is happening if it is using that much memory. 

Edited 1721415137
Gold
Forum Champion
Hey Henning,  I'm attempting to install, test, and see if I can replicate the issues you listed. First I'm looking into what comes with the Bundle and if there are any extended products for this. I have to EDIT this post because I was initially confused about what comes with the Bundle. BRB

Edited 1721415613
Gold
Forum Champion
Hey Henning, I see you probably bought the BUNDLE which is on sale, which contains 2 products. Did you also purchase the 3rd product which is an Add-On product, and did you install the Add-On of it? <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/20565/dungeons-of-drakkenheim" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/bundle/20565/dungeons-of-drakkenheim</a> 1.&nbsp;Dungeons of Drakkenheim Compendium 2.&nbsp;Dungeons of Drakkenheim Core Module From there (correct me if I am wrong), you Created a new game using the CORE MODULE product. Is that right? I found a third product in the Marketplace for a higher price: <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/30681/sebastian-crowes-guide-to-drakkenheim-world-and-tactical-map-pack" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/30681/sebastian-crowes-guide-to-drakkenheim-world-and-tactical-map-pack</a> 3.&nbsp; Sebastian Crowe’s Guide to Drakkenheim - World and Tactical Map Pack My question, Henning, do you have just Product 1 &amp; 2, or do you also have Product 3? This answer will help me research into the issues that you listed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Henning E. said: On all 60+ battle maps I need to remove the daylight setting and I need to click the toggle that prevents characters to move through walls. All monsters and NPC's are in the Journal, but extremely many of the tokens look the same or do not even have a picture of the monster. Most of those points were valid concerns, but I might be able to shed light on these two. The option to stop movement through walls is typically turned off on modules. This is because the setting carries through even on games without dynamic lighting, and can cause movement issues that a free-level user is powerless to resolve. I do not have the print edition of this product, but if it did not have art for said creatures, then typically publishers make do with text tokens or re-purposed art, rather than commission more art for the VTT conversion. They cannot use WotC art, for example.
Hi Gold, I did not buy and add the product " Sebastian Crowe’s Guide to Drakkenheim - World and Tactical Map Pack ", so only running the game with what's in the Bundle you refers to.
Hi keithcurtis, This is valuable inputs. It makes good sense. The first point is relatively easy to change, but the second will unfortunately take a lot of time to update, but with your comment I see the reason behind it. Thanks.
Gold
Forum Champion
For me, in testing, I loaded every PAGE in it, and left the game open for hours. The highest memory-use I saw was 580 MB. I didn't see it climb into the GB range. I don't know why yours did.&nbsp; Henning E. said: And the game consumes 5-6 GB memory from my computer when I run it. I'm disappointed, and really happy that i didn't buy it at the usual $40.