Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG][18+][5E][Free to Play][CST][LGBTQ+ Friendly] Relatively New Player looking to play a longterm campaign of Odyssey of the Dragonlords!

Edited 1727624979
Hello there! My name is Robert, and I am still relatively new as a player of D&D. Including the times I sporadically played, I suppose I have about a year of experience, though only about two months of dedicated playtime in a campaign.  I'm a big history nerd and lover of Greek Mythology (my favorite stories are The Iliad, The Odyssey, and the story of Apollo and Hyacinthus), and would love to be able to play through a campaign of Odyssey of the Dragonlords. After having read the Player's Handbook for the campaign, the ideas for characters and stories just started pouring into my brain. In regards to what I am looking for in a game like this, here are some initial points: A group of players dedicated to working together in aid of the party and the goals of the campaign:  I really enjoy the collaborative element of D&D. I had an experience with a group where a player was initially going the "murder-hobo" route, despite the rest of the party trying to stay on track. It wasn't fun. I like it when people are role playing a little friction, but it doesn't impede the narrative arc of the game.  Open-minded : People who are accepting and supportive of each other. Role play focus : This is my favorite aspect of playing, so I would prefer a game that leans more in that direction. About 70/30 role play leaning. Focus on Character Development : I want to feel like my character and my fellow PCs are experiencing a true arc over the course of the campaign. LGBTQ+ Friendly : I feel like this should be apparent in a campaign inspired by Greek Mythology. I love being able to play with people who are comfortable being themselves. It really enhances the experience for me. Nothing Too Grimdark : I am not a fan of overly gritty and dark stories. I don't want something too light-hearted either. Somewhere in the middle is the sweet spot for me. I want to feel challenged, but not depressed. Romance : I consider myself a romantic, and when I saw this campaign setting, I thought of some romance storyline opportunities for my character. This can be strictly with NPCs (unless the players have discussed other options), but this is something I would like to explore in this setting if at all possible. This of course is all dependent on the comfort level of the entire party and the DM. (I will say that my initial thoughts for a character in this setting was an Achilles type figure. And where would Achilles be without Patroclus?) 18+ : I just feel more comfortable playing with people who are in the adult age-range. I myself am in my late 20s. Mature Content : This would have to be discussed with the players, but I am comfortable with most mature content in games (i.e. violence, consensual sexual content, language). Again, we can all discuss how we want this content handled, as I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable playing, including myself. There are certain things that I'm definitely not okay having described to me though (SA for example.) Some things can just Fade To Black. Freedom of Choice : I enjoy the idea that the players shape the narrative. Obviously I want to stay on target for the goal line, but how we get the ball there should be mostly up to the players. Communication : I've been in a campaign that ended after one session and the DM did not even communicate why. This was kind of frustrating for me. I enjoy being able to communicate in a healthy and engaging manner with my DM and my fellow players. CST Timezone : The best time for me to play right now is ideally Sunday Evenings around 7:00 PM Central Standard Time . Other than that, I am available at the same time one Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Free to Play:  I respect DMs who run paid campaigns. But at this time, my financial situation has me leaning towards free games. FUN! - Above all, I want to have fun with a group of enthusiastic players guided by an equally enthusiastic DM! So far (with the exception of the first campaign that ended abruptly before is started) each session I've finished I've walked away with a smile on my face. I think that about covers it. I would love to be able to play through this epic adventure with some fellow heroes, facing mythological monsters and earning fame and glory as we fight to save the mortal realm from the Titans' wrath. If you are willing to take me on that journey you can message me here on Roll20, or over on Discord @rlkhistoricart. Thank you for taking the time to read this! Have a wonderful day! Fair winds and good health to you!
One thing I think might be interesting to discuss as we try and gather a party of heroes, what are some of your favorite stories from Greek Mythology/Greek History and why? For me, I grew up with the Odyssey, literally studying and acting it out in Middle School. I remember reading a comic book adaptation that my mom had in her 7th Grade English classroom, and I have tried to see if I can find that book again. As a romantic, I do love some of the love or "love" stories between the Olympians and others. The story of Apollo and Hyacinthus in particular is a favorite of mine, along with Achilles and Patroclus and Dionysus and Ariadne. Let me know what are some of your favorite mythological stories when you post. Let's share our love for the subject as we gather to explore the world Thylea, a world of Heroes and Titans!
We now number 3, including myself. Still looking for DM.