Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D Character Builder: Level Up Release

We’ve released Automated Level Up functionality, along with Starting Equipment, in the new D&D Character Builder !  As we mentioned in our recent blog post , characters created prior to this release will require choices to be remade when leveling up : including Class, Species, Background, and Ability Scores (and any relevant sub choices).  We recommend fully recreating the character from scratch in the builder so you don’t miss anything, but the choice is yours.  We know this is not ideal, but this is a one time occurance. Any newly created characters you make going forward will easily level up. This is the first of many releases to improve the Character Builder experience. With this release, you will also notice some improvements to the UI/UX of the Builder based on all of your feedback, as well as performance improvements across the board! We’re ensuring compatibility with both 2014 and 2024 content, though some issues may still appear with legacy content, which we are continuing to update and address. Please continue to report any bugs you find so we can get them addressed quickly!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Question I created a Soulknife Rogue. Their Psychic Blade feature is supposed to have the Vex property. Although the Builder does create the attack upon choosing the subclass at level three, it lacks the Vex mastery and I cannot see any way to edit it in. What am I missing?
When leveling up, the builder allows the user to change things that shouldn't be changed after creation. Things like Abilities should not change after the game play starts. Is this by design?
I'm trying to rebuild a ranger from scratch, and archery, the second level fighting style, is not an option. (Screen shot attached.)
Sero Sen said: I'm trying to rebuild a ranger from scratch, and archery, the second level fighting style, is not an option. (Screen shot attached.) I'll let the team know, thank you!
I just created a sorcerer using only 2024 PHB rules and hit level up, and it only took me through level 1 options.
Georf said: I just created a sorcerer using only 2024 PHB rules and hit level up, and it only took me through level 1 options. Hey Georf! Where in the level up process are you only seeing Level 1 options? I've just tested a sorcerer from scratch, then level'd up, and I'm being put thru all the level 2 mechanisms. Can you tell me where yours is failing? Thank you!
Dean said: Georf said: I just created a sorcerer using only 2024 PHB rules and hit level up, and it only took me through level 1 options. Hey Georf! Where in the level up process are you only seeing Level 1 options? I've just tested a sorcerer from scratch, then level'd up, and I'm being put thru all the level 2 mechanisms. Can you tell me where yours is failing? Thank you! It could be a case of not not adding a level in the first screen of the level up process. It's not super clear that you need to manually increase it from 1 to 2 when you're leveling up. In the charactermancer for the old sheet, it automatically had +1 level selected when leveling up.
Just tried to multi-class (Bard / Warlock)  Bard 1st level seems to work out.  Then after that is done I click the level up and get to "Add Class" it pulls up the classes, I pick Warlock 2024 and click "next" and it jumps to the species, next.. next next.. all the bard stuff review.  There is never a second level of anything.  This has been an alarmingly bad roll out.  Also when you go into the gear on the "Character Profile" there is a line that says: "for a complete sheet experience, go to the builder" and the "Go to Builder" button is not functional and still says "Coming Soon" on hover. So my question is:  Is multi-class leveling on the sheet even supposed to work at this point?  I also find it odd that there seems to be so little response from Roll20 team on the poor shape of the character sheet and builder.
Hi Jim! It looks like a bug found its way into production that prevents multiclassing in the builder. We've got a fix ready to go, which should be out today! It's going through QA presently.
Following up, the multiclassing bug is fixed, and you should be able to multiclass again both when initially building a character, and when leveling up.