Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Better Pings

Hi there, love Roll20, am a Mentor supporter, thanks for everything you guys do. The one most wanted feature for my group and I is better pings. Basically, the ping functionality from video game Mobas such as Dota 2 or League of Legends. When you ping, it's a small dot instead of an expanding hollow circle, and it stays on screen and fades after about 4 seconds. That way, if the DM isn't looking directly at the screen, and asks something like "Which monster are you attacking?," when he goes back to the page the ping is still there to see. It can also be color coded or show the player's (tiny) avatar to know who made the ping. In addition, if you click and hold instead of just tapping for the ping, you can draw a temporary line drawing so you can draw a line for a path or a circle around a group of tokens. This would fade similarly after a certain period, and ideally would fade starting first with the part of the line drawn first, so a direction of the line can be easily determined when appropriate. Thanks for reading, sorry if that has been posted before recently, I only looked through the first few pages of suggestions.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That sounds cool but we have something similar already for the GM. The shift key + left click on your spot or monster for your focus forces the group to center on that spot. and the other part is just the measuring tool. Now expanding the shift ping to everyone (not just the GM) would basically do what you are asking and giving a more time length to the ruler for the lingering effect would work also. Good idea though.
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Kyle. One part of your request already exists --- the ping can already be color-coded. Your ping circle color (and your default drawing color) is the color of that little swatch box next to the Player's name at the bottom of your Roll20 screen. Each Player can change their "ping default color" there. Another part of your request exists but different from how you described: GM or Players can already do Line drawings (but it doesn't have the fade effect you requested). The GM can "Clear all drawings" or delete any lines someone drew with click-delete, so although it won't fade away automatically, you can accomplish the basic need of letting players draw a path or a circle using their designated color & then it can be deleted. I understand your other suggestions for a longer-holding longer-fading ping time (4 seconds); drawing lines that could automatically fade away; and letting the Ping tool turn into a drawing tool without clicking over to the drawing tool. The one request from this that I don't follow is the small dot vs. the expanding concentric circles of the Ping. What's wrong with the circles? It sounds like the same effect either way, to indicate a spot.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
@Kyle, since you're a mentor, you might be able to use my Mark script to at least handle the case where you need players to mark critters they are attacking: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1058503/script-m" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1058503/script-m</a>... +1 regardless!