Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Request: Export Chat Archive as Standard HTML

Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I save my gamelogs as per-session logs for archival on my game's wiki. I'd love to be able to preserve the HTML from the Chat Archive, but my archivist tells me that Roll20 is doing things that prevent this.. He asks, "If logs could be exported to bog standard html that would be swell" so I pass this request along to the Powers That Be.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This has been requested many times before and I do not remember if any clear response was given. It would be nice to have an export feature for the chat archive but I just copy and paste it as is.
You can generally get valid HTML from the DOM in your browser. In firefox, you can right click anywhere in the chat archive, select "Inspect Element", then right click "html" in the breadcrumb list and select "Copy Outer HTML". For a pure javascript solution, some browsers support an element.outerHTML property which will contain the same(ish) HTML as above; if your browser doesn't support it, you can still use the innerHTML property, although that'll give you results one layer down (you may be able to use cloneNode to copy the html node then appendChild to put it into a new element; that element's innerHTML will be the original html node's outerHTML).
Thanks, that did get valid and generally useful HTML. However for using in a wikimedia environ it still doesn't really work for me, as all of the resources are local to roll20, so it's still screwy, as all the links, images, and specific formatting are broken. What I'd really like is to be able to get an export in the session archive that I can easily use with formatting and features intact, (and perhaps valid calls to the resources saved on roll20.net?) instead of, for what I've had to do so far, just yanking the text and inserting a lot of line breaks to fix the formatting. I understand if this isn't practical.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
(If it isn't clear, Sian is my archivist :> )
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Could you work with saving the page for offline viewing then importing it from there?

Edited 1412612935
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Go to the chat log page and save it as "Webpage, complete". You'll get the HTML, images, CSS, javascript, etc. Then, delete chatloglibs.js . Not only does this file contain unnecessary javascript (such as some error handling for when you post messages to chat), but it changes the URL to avatars in the log. For in-character avatars it's not a huge problem (it links them to amazonaws.com, which is where they link to normally in the VTT), but for OOC avatars it tries to use a relative link, which breaks the image. You can probably remove some other files, but chatloglibs.js needs to be removed if you want your archive to contain correct OOC avatar images. This will generate an error in the JavaScript console because you're missing a file, but you don't need anything it's got. Note that the "Hide Whispers" button will link you to the online version of the log, rather than simply hiding the whispers on the page.