Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Multiple copies of character-linked monsters

Been experimenting more with Roll20 recently, and there's one thing that maybe exists in the system already but that I haven't figured out how to do. When I create a monster and want to have a second copy of it on the map, if I just create another token linked to that monster, they end up sharing HP and such. This is actually great for handling 13th Age's mooks, but not so great if I'm trying to run multiple normal monsters of the same type. I've ended up creating two separate journal entries for them. Is there any way to create two independent copies of the same monster, both still linked to a journal tab so they can have token actions, without creating two copies of the journal tab? If not, that would be nice to add (without taking away the ability to do multiple copies that do count as the same character...like I said, that's great for mook mobs!).
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> There you go. Basically, don't link the token bars to the journal attributes.
Oh, geez, that's obvious. Sorry! (Though actually I think I'll use that exactly in the opposite way--I find it really helpful to have the 13th age mooks all share a health bar, so I'll leave them all linked, while 13th age standard monsters will get linked then unlinked so they can act as separate instances of the same character.)
I'd still like a feature like this, although it's certainly not terribly high priority, and I can see the problems with its implementation (e.g. which copy is the canonical one shown when the character sheet is opened, and how does one make alterations to the others?). Perhaps the individual linked attributes could be marked as independent, and they would simply be greyed out in the shared charsheet. The reason I'd like to see this is that I play a lot of True20, which uses a penalty mechanic instead of an HP system. Because characters who have taken damage take penalties to some of their rolls (or most of them, if the damage is sufficient), character macros have to be aware of the damage the character has taken. Sure, it's easy enough to copy character sheets. But it would be nice if there were a way to handle the use case without cluttering the charsheet list and without having to remember that my non-unique baddies' rolls need to be manually adjusted.