Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Overhaul Site Notifications

Score + 138
Overhaul the Roll20 Site Notifications, including: Make sure the Dismiss All button works well across all Roll20 sites (currently broken on the blog). Automatically dismiss thread notifications when you visit that thread Only show one notification per thread until you have visited that thread
Gauss
Forum Champion
To add to this: the ability to Un-follow game forum threads.
I would also like to be able to open the thread linked in the notifications into separate windows or tabs. The current notification system does not allow this.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I tend to use the notifications as more of a reminder that I have things to do, so I might visit the thread without using the reminder in order to view what is said, but retain the fact that there is work for me to do. That's probably a very edge case behavior, and I should probably just follow a thread where I have work to do, but for a thread where I already follow but want to know there is a notification, there is no analog in the suggested new behavior. Still, sounds like a good idea! =D
I would add auto updating, because as of now i must refresh to see notification. If we could pull a facebook and auto update that would be lovely
There should also be a separate list, one that shows more than 10 notifications at a time, under private messages there could be a "list of notifications/notifications/etc."
Hello everyone! Hmm what suggestion do I have? Let me see..hmm *blows dust off of topic* well, well. Found one that was over two years old that many (if not all) of us have asked for at one time or another - a Notification System Overhaul :) Oh someone made one already!? *face palm* x ( I guess I'll just add to this discussion then. One of the simplest ideas that has been brought up over the past 2 years (like Gauss mentioned) is adding a "Subscribe to this thread" feature. That way we will only get notifications to specific threads we want to stay current with. Another idea was having different types of notifications at the top of the page. Campaigns PMs Community Threads I personally feel that a great solution would be to have an amalgamation of both ideas which would give the Roll20 community the robust tools they need to manage their accounts. In the long run I think it would be most advantageous because we are just going to expand in our interests and try new games. Please if you have ideas on how to stream line this let us know. Also I ask that we keep this as focused as possible to help the Devs! Thx, -[GM] Keaggan PS ***Link this thread to every player & GM you are in a campaign with***
If you are really going to edit Site Notifications: How about if 2 people have a whole conversation under the SAME forum topic - that I only have the 1 message in the pulldown (with maybe a number of unreads next to it) That'd be GREAT!
Yes, Please! This Riley D. said: Overhaul the Roll20 Site Notifications, including: Make sure the Dismiss All button works well across all Roll20 sites (currently broken on the blog). Automatically dismiss thread notifications when you visit that thread Only show one notification per thread until you have visited that thread Hurry?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Another notification tool I'd love to see is personal tagging -- a short string that only the user sees (either when mousing over or near the post's subject line). If that is too ambitious, then an 'ignore' option would be nice. 'Ignore' on a post would flag it so you don't see 'new' notifications, it is ALWAYS marked as 'read'.

Edited 1440035529
Gold
Forum Champion
I would like to see Notifications be accessible as a Page (a webpage) not just as Drop-Down, and on that Notifications page they could be organized better and show more at a glance in sub-categories: Unread Private Messages Notifications from Game A Notifications from Game B Notifications from Game C A trouble I'm having with the current Notifications system is, I find that I must read & clear the Oldest 10 messages before I can see a more recent PM notification that might be more important & pertains to today's game. To resolve this, I would like to suggest newest messages moved back on top of Notifications drop-down.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I echo Gold's request, and add to it: It would be lovely if the icon mouseover in the bar would show something like '6 unread PMs, 12 unread posts'.

Edited 1443674618
I also echo Gold's request but would like to change it to Topic specific notifications, so it would look more like this: Unread Private Messages Notifications from Topic A Notifications from Topic B Notifications from Topic C Also it would be my personal preference to have Campaign Join Requests prioritized. Please help prevent this:
More this, and then double this. Can I use my other upvote to upvote again? Also, am I the only one who finds it interesting that a Dev Team member was the one who started this over a year ago and it's not yet implemented? Not saying anything negative about the Dev Team or anything (I know they're busy doing a lot of great things), I just thought it was interesting.
Tyr H. said: Also, am I the only one who finds it interesting that a Dev Team member was the one who started this over a year ago and it's not yet implemented? Not saying anything negative about the Dev Team or anything (I know they're busy doing a lot of great things), I just thought it was interesting. The first two out of the three items he listed originally are done, but like many of you I'm also hoping for that last one: "Only show one notification per thread until you have visited that thread."
Honestly the one change I would love to see is two separate buttons on notifications.  One that says I have notifications and one that says I have PMs.  Right now there are a lot of big games and big community style campaigns that have a lot of notifications that flood through the system.  In that flood PMs are really hard to see and notice as they do not stand out at all and should stand out.  It is not uncommon for me to go out of town for a week and come back to 80 notifications. I would really like it if that was one button and the 1 PM I got in that mix was a separate button so I can address the PM in a reasonable amount of time instead of having a pretty reasonable chance of not seeing it at all as I go through my notifications.
Gary M said: Honestly the one change I would love to see is two separate buttons on notifications.  One that says I have notifications and one that says I have PMs.  Right now there are a lot of big games and big community style campaigns that have a lot of notifications that flood through the system.  In that flood PMs are really hard to see and notice as they do not stand out at all and should stand out.  It is not uncommon for me to go out of town for a week and come back to 80 notifications. I would really like it if that was one button and the 1 PM I got in that mix was a separate button so I can address the PM in a reasonable amount of time instead of having a pretty reasonable chance of not seeing it at all as I go through my notifications. Joining this request. I've encountered people who missed invitations to our campaign on several confirmed occasions, where I later had to ask them through another medium to check their notifications thoroughly. God knows how many other people who never responded to our invitations had the same issue. Either way, it results in players sometimes not joining games they applied to, which is detrimental to the community as a whole. Another thing that would be amazing, however, is the ability to scroll smoothly through all the notifications, instead of having to look through 10 at a time.
Ditto on notifications. They make being in huge groups and small games unwieldy.
MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello, Being able to shut off notifications from one or more game pages while keeping other game pages notifications on is essential. Thanks! /Matt
I love instant email notifications from my most important games. For the other games, I would like to create an email filter to sort as it hits my inbox. Unfortunately, new threads/notifications cannot be filtered since the email content does not include the game name. For example, There's been a new reply --> in Alchemist Brew <-- to the forum thread "Game On!" by Tyler L..
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
OH YES PLEASE @Riley It sucks having 50 messages to work through when like 20 is from the same thread
Jen said: The first two out of the three items he listed originally are done, but like many of you I'm also hoping for that last one: "Only show one notification per thread until you have visited that thread." Well, I forgot to turn on notifications for this thread so... my bad. But, that being said, the second one definitely is not a thing for normal members. If it is for Pro members then I hope it's coming to the rest of us soon, but it definitely can't come fast enough.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Riley D. said: Overhaul the Roll20 Site Notifications, including: Make sure the Dismiss All button works well across all Roll20 sites (currently broken on the blog). Automatically dismiss thread notifications when you visit that thread Only show one notification per thread until you have visited that thread Waiting waiting waiting :)
I don't know how to say this in a way that doesn't sound whiney right now so... please don't take it that way, I promise I don't mean it I'm just tired and had to clear out 99 messages one at a time to make certain I didn't miss anything important. Can we please get an update on whether or not this is going to be a thing soon? Just a yes or a no would be appreciated, really, so I know what to expect in the next few months.
I have seen posts/request/pleas on this that are over 3 years old.  Plus I get people asking me if there is anyway to do one of the many suggestions on this list weekly if not daily.  Is this in the works?
The simple solution is to just  scrap the notifications for individual posts or PMs. Instead, do notifications by each GAME , with a counter showing its total number of new forum posts. Within the game forum, use the existing "New" flag to show which threads have new posts (although, a counter would be nice here, too). When a game forum thread is opened, it should go automatically to the first of the new posts. The counter would reset to zero. Also, if wouldn't hurt to sort "My Games" by those with new posts first. For PMs and non-game forums, do similarly, Boom!  Done.  Nice & easy. No more drowning in notifications.
This remains something we know needs a polish.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Mr. Fyn said: Still polishing?  I'm in an AL group that I don't want to leave but I can get 20 notifications a day.  It's painful. I've recently received 50+ notifications from my community due to a new member.

Edited 1533640876
+1 for this. It does grow cumbersome on busy days!
The way it functions is basically unusable. There are even threads where people are complaining that people are replying and giving them unnecessary notifications. Everyone is migrating to Facebook Messanger/Discord/Skype etc because Roll20 notifications are just flat out a hinderance to the platform. 

Edited 1539858649
Absolutely agreed. I've just had to leave a pbp game because I couldn't handle the 100+ notifications each day. I have to go through refreshing the page like 10 times each day in case there arr actually responses for other games/threads I'm interested in. If it's such a hard thing to do... being able to mute topics or even whole games would be AMAZINGLY helpful.
Long-term or not, here to give this a bump since the devs are rolling out updates still, but not this one which we so desperately need. Every day I log in to 20+ messages, and every day I have to visit three different pages, dismissing messages one by one so I don't miss something important buried at the bottom.
Lol, this was proposed by a dev and is 5 years old, wow! +1 though and see related thread <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8183028/combine-thread-notifications-in-inbox/?pageforid=8474203" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8183028/combine-thread-notifications-in-inbox/?pageforid=8474203</a>

Edited 1587043887
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Yeah, this suggestion have double the votes of the other one. Here is what I mentioned in the other post: Andreas J. said: Today when I opened Roll20 was an perfect example, I saw 8 notifications, but it was only from two threads, 7 from this, and one message from another one. Would have been much more clear if I just had two notifications, where the one from following this thread maybe listed the number of new replies, and the names of maybe the last three people to keep it from getting too crowded.
Continue to hope for this. I play in a west marches style campaign, and often log on to find 20+ notifications, often only 1 or 2 of which I care about. Would specifically like the ability to mute certain campaign forum threads
An option for a "Daily Digest" of messages would be good. It's not uncommon on most list servs... I would make this an option per game; you may want all the notification for one game ASAP but you can wait for a daily digest from another game.
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Come Roll20 Dev team, please this needs to be resolved.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
AquaAlex said: Come Roll20 Dev team, please this needs to be resolved. Absolutely. Currently one needs to carefully consider if it's a good idea to follow a thread or not, as not to get overwhelmed if a long discussion ensues resulting in a massive amount of notifications...
Gauss said: To add to this: the ability to Un-follow game forum threads. We still really really need this, especially in larger roll20 communities.
+1
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Six years on, and posted by one of the main devs at the time, and this still isn't a feature. This is a basic feature of any other forum software. Come on roll20, please add this.
Gold
Forum Champion
Seven years on now, in that time there has been minor changes to Notifications (breaking-out the Site Notifications Bell, apart from the Messages notifications pink-envelope icon at the top-right of the site). Improving this area of the site could really streamline usability, and remove barriers to gaming. Ease communication between-among the play-groups ("the party").&nbsp; Making scheduling easier was the #1 user-requested input, according to Roll20's survey results announcement earlier. Let's consider how greatly that improved Notificaitons could benefit the Scheduling needs. However in the year of 2021, it has come to my attention that I need to retract my +1 vote from here, and apply that +1 vote to a newer Suggestion that needs currency power, for whatever it is worth.&nbsp;
Gold said: Seven years on now, in that time there has been minor changes to Notifications (breaking-out the Site Notifications Bell, apart from the Messages notifications pink-envelope icon at the top-right of the site). Improving this area of the site could really streamline usability, and remove barriers to gaming. Ease communication between-among the play-groups ("the party").&nbsp; Making scheduling easier was the #1 user-requested input, according to Roll20's survey results announcement earlier. Let's consider how greatly that improved Notificaitons could benefit the Scheduling needs. However in the year of 2021, it has come to my attention that I need to retract my +1 vote from here, and apply that +1 vote to a newer Suggestion that needs currency power, for whatever it is worth.&nbsp; It's almost 2022 and the despair of eternal waiting for basic QoL improvements is sinking in.