Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New Suggestions Forum

Edited 1412632989
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
We've decided to overhaul the way that the Suggestions Forum works. The current system was extremely overloaded. We couldn't keep up with the hundreds of suggestions that were posted every single week. We also frequently saw the same suggestions being reposted because folks weren't sure that we had seen them, or it had been a while since they were on the "front page" of the forums. And finally, we felt like there was a level of "shouting into the dark and not knowing if anyone heard you" for those who were posting suggestions, which is not what we want -- we value your input and it's an important part of what has helped Roll20 grow to where we are today. So as of today, the old Suggestions Forum has been archived (meaning you can view the old content but can't post anything new), and the new Suggestions Forum has been opened up. The new system is a voting-based system. Here's how it works: Everyone gets a set number of votes based on their account type. (More on this in the Voting FAQ ) You can use those votes to add your support to an existing suggestion, or you can post your own, new suggestion. The sorting of the forum is strictly based on the number of votes a suggestion has received. So the hope is that the suggestions that have the most support in the community will rise to the top. The age of a suggestion is irrelevant, so old ideas that have a lot of support will remain visible at the top. This new system has several major benefits, which include: Allowing us to focus our time and energy responding to suggestions which the majority of the community cares about. Eliminating the need to re-post the same suggestion repeatedly. Once a suggestion has been submitted, it can be voted on indefinitely. Drastically reducing the number of suggestions that a new user needs to weed through to see what's already been suggested and what's in the works. Focusing the discussion on the most important topics. By limiting the number of votes that can be cast, we're asking people to prioritize what's most important to them. Note that you can change your vote at any time so feel free to shift your votes around as your priorities change. In addition to serving as a Suggestions Board, this forum will also server as a type of "Roadmap." We'll be adding "tags" to each suggestion such as "In Progress", "Long Term", etc. That way you can quickly see what we're currently hoping to implement in the near future, and what's not currently in the pipeline. There is a very cool, new wiki page you should definitely read which will hopefully answer a lot of your questions about how this new system works: Voting FAQ Our goal here is to improve the dialogue between the Dev Team and the community. The current system is akin to a very load chorus where everyone is just shouting and we can't really respond well to what's being said. Our hope is that this new system will focus the discussion in such a way that we can have a better discourse around the topics that the community cares about the most. I added about 7 or 8 ideas that have been popping around my own head to get things started, but you can absolutely add your own suggestions as well by posting a New Topic. I'd love to answer any questions you might have, so fire away!
Gold
Forum Champion
Very nice improvement and user-oriented thinking. I like the calculation for votes for non-subscribers. I got 2 from being on here 2 years so far. :))
A quick note, if you have a previous suggestion post and you want it considered, feel free to re-post it (if you want to spend a vote on it, that is). We won't be moving over any old content automatically or anything like that.
Gold
Forum Champion
Question to Riley / Devs / Mods about this: What's the best way to answer if someone posts a Suggestion, but there is an existing method or advisable workaround? Without spending a Vote it won't let me Reply in their thread. I could PM the workaround to the individual person but then it wouldn't be documented for other readers. 2 Common examples are like, someone suggesting to be able to organize Handouts in Folders: some good answers/workarounds to reply are explaining Tags, and explaining [How To Link A Journal In An Index]. Another example is someone suggesting Search Field for each individual sub-forum, and a workaround suggestion is to use the Google operator called "Site:" to narrow your search to a specific sub-forum.
It doesn't use a vote to post a comment in an existing suggestion. Only to post a totally new suggestion. So feel free to comment and let them know. Actually, I think this was a bug where it wasn't letting free users post comments even if they were eligible to vote. So that should be fixed.
I realize that you guys recently added character sheets to try to deal with saving people from rewriting macros, but I still would prefer the ability to save my macros and use them across campaigns and not character sheets. Character sheets can be a bit more burdensome to keep up to date, whereas macros are much more succinct and (in my view) simpler to update. Your macro functionality is already baked into the site. Why would it be so difficult to just store them along with the account of the user logged in? Of course, you would need to offer a way to save the macros under different groups (aka character names). For RPG games like Pathfinder, it would be awesome if the max value on the die, especially the 20-sided die isn't assumed to be the only Critical possibility. It would be cool to have the macro ability to indicate values less than the max die value.
There are some really great content generators out there. It would be nice to embed some of that technology into the site. Other sites, like Gozzy's or Chaotic Shiny have simple content generators that would be nice to have in a toolbox for Roll20. Things like caves, cities, dungeons - it's fine to import them, but generating something for a "new blank page" would be spectacular. As a GM, I want to manage factions in my campaign world - politics, intrigue, fights between deities, etc. Generating a new Inn every few hours while the group is on the road is a hassle. Imagine the group traveling on a long highway, and you come to a village - poof, village generated. Don't like it? Scrap, regenerate. Ahh, better. Okay, they see the blacksmith. His shop looks like this, bam, you are in the shop. He has a wife, a daughter, and two apprentices (tokens up!). Okay, the inn looks like this ... a room costs 8 silver ... Okay, on the road in the morning ... on the road, there's a random encounter ... and it's a band of half-orc bandits. Here's the map ... etc., etc. These are little things to generate, but would save GM's hours and hours of time. It would be a huge attraction to Roll20. For details that GM's WANT to set, dynamic lighting, and that kind of thing, it takes a lot of investment of our time. So, having a few tools that can make it easier would be excellent. Also, it would keep my from having 18 windows open (well, at least not as often?).
I'm personally a huge fan of paypal being added, but ill have to wait a couple of months to vote. Most of the people who would vote for it, likely cant for the same reasons they'd want to vote for it: not being able to be a mentor/supporter because of no paypal support. It was VERY enheartening to see one of the dev team post the suggestion however. I can say I for one would be buying mentor immediately after it became available. I've spent at least 1000 hours on roll20, and had some of my most fun moments playing pathfinder with friends.
This is fantastic. I love the idea. Removes unnecessary redundancy, and promote community focus. Thank you.
I would really like a way to upload music or sound effects. Heroic battles need heroic music, and sometimes an unexpected musical sting or SFX can really spice up an encounter (or startle complacent PCs).
If I might make a suggestion. I happen to like the 3.5 (ish) system the Wizards of the Coast had in the past. I also am a strong fan of the d20 Modern RPG. Would you folks at roll20 mind telling me how I might be able to run a d20 Modern, Past, Future, etc. type game or two using the rules and Varients from Wizards of the Coast? Perhaps even a few Variants of my own design? If this is possible, would you please contact me via Private Message. Thanks
Do votes refresh at any point? I'm guessing not, but it does kind of seem like you would have to really prioritize your votes pretty strongly, and if you run out of votes and something new comes along that's a great idea, you wouldn't be able to vote on it. Can one simply move their votes from one idea to another in that case?
I personally would like to see an easier way for mentors to share content. Character sheets especially.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Erin, audio is handled via the Jukebox and streaming from SoundCloud - <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Jukebox" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Jukebox</a> Frank, this isn't the right thread nor the right forum for that sort of discussion. You'd be better off asking that question over at reddit.com/r/rpg or on the official WoTC forums.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Haven, you can revoke your vote by clicking on the green triangle of suggestions you've voted on already. This will remove your vote from that suggestion and allow you to use it for another suggestion.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Omnius Magnari said: I'm personally a huge fan of paypal being added, but ill have to wait a couple of months to vote. Most of the people who would vote for it, likely cant for the same reasons they'd want to vote for it: not being able to be a mentor/supporter because of no paypal support. It was VERY enheartening to see one of the dev team post the suggestion however. I can say I for one would be buying mentor immediately after it became available. I've spent at least 1000 hours on roll20, and had some of my most fun moments playing pathfinder with friends. Riley got the ball rolling on the new forum by re-posting 8 commonly requested features. I wouldn't take it as meaning anything specific that he posted something you like, other than the fact that others have requested it in the past and he's aware of the desire.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I see that members get "x" amount of votes depending on their support level, but what's the timeframe for those votes, day, week, month, indefinitely? Also, I think a general voting up/down on all forums would be a nice feature. Kind of like reddit.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vince said: I see that members get "x" amount of votes depending on their support level, but what's the timeframe for those votes, day, week, month, indefinitely? Also, I think a general voting up/down on all forums would be a nice feature. Kind of like reddit. As a mentor, you have 10 votes, +1 vote per year you've been a user. Period. You can retract votes, so that if you run out you can re-prioritize what 10+ suggestions are important to you.

Edited 1412783635
The "Player" portraits that currently display OVER portions of the playing field maps and drawings hide a lot of real estate. I think there should be a way to hide these portraits and make those areas of the maps visible at all times. Viewing the player portraits does NOT add anything beneficial to gameplay action and competes for player attention on the map areas. Thanks Brian ... as often as I had looked at that particular tab, I still hadn't seen that option. I appreciate the quick response. It was extremely helpful.

Edited 1412731918
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ron, you can hide the player portraits on the settings tab of the VTT. (There is a dropdown that lets you select how big they display, or to only display the names)

Edited 1412736100
Gold
Forum Champion
Riley D. said: It doesn't use a vote to post a comment in an existing suggestion. Only to post a totally new suggestion. So feel free to comment and let them know. Actually, I think this was a bug where it wasn't letting free users post comments even if they were eligible to vote. So that should be fixed. Thank you very much. It is fixed now & shows me the Reply box. @Brian I think that the 8-10 suggestions that Riley posted on the new Suggestions, are evidently on his roadmap for development. The tone of his posts indicated this and he is, personally, the lead dev here (as you know). I don't see it as simply reposting common suggestions without ranking which ones are under actual-consideration or roadmapping. I imagine he would not stir the PayPal pot by posting the Suggestion under his name if he felt it was not a likely development possibility. In just 1 sentence on his Suggestion post, Riley gave 2 reasons justifying the reason for adding PayPal here (he cited International Users & people who don't have a credit card). Of course this doesn't make it a guaranteed impending feature; I don't take it as an announcement, but at least an indication of warmth, understanding, accommodation. In the FAQ they stated that one of the purposes of the new Suggestions feature is to have a place to indicate which items are making it to the roadmap. On the night of the postings, the new ones Riley posted were starting up with +3 so I'm guessing a Dev/Mod may lend a +3 if they post a suggestion, unless 2 other people were voting-up everything he posted right away.
Having the option to find a online rpg group to game with is great. Could it be possible for having the option of location? For example, "3.5 d&d group looking for new members in St. Louis metro area" The last time I played in a group we sat at a table and used roll20.

Edited 1412735673
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok everyone, this is not the new suggestions forum. This is a thread regarding the new forum but it is not to make suggestions in. If you would like to make a suggestion please post it in the suggestions forum ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/385189" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/category/385189</a> ).
There should be a way to "like" or agree with post in hear so you can get an idea of what would be a popular idea
Gauss
Forum Champion
Robert , this is not the suggestion forum.
Customized dice would be fantastic.
It seems those without "vote" power still have suggestions too :) ...and don't have the option to make a suggestion thread. Go figure.
Don't suppose it would be worthwhile to suggest a new suggestion system that is fair to everyone who spends their time on the site, rather than weigh heavily in favor of those who spend more money? I say this here only because I'm locked out of making that suggestion in the suggestions area, per your new system. Granted, it won't get voted on, but I definitely feel like "the rest of us" deserve a voice. Please note that this is not a troll, and absolutely on-topic.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Quintus said: Don't suppose it would be worthwhile to suggest a new suggestion system that is fair to everyone who spends their time on the site, rather than weigh heavily in favor of those who spend more money? I say this here only because I'm locked out of making that suggestion in the suggestions area, per your new system. Granted, it won't get voted on, but I definitely feel like "the rest of us" deserve a voice. Please note that this is not a troll, and absolutely on-topic. I totally agree. Free account holders have been making lot's of great suggestions, just check the now "archived" suggestion forum. I felt a little "pushed" into upgrading just to be able to have a vote. Not sure if "encouraging" upgrades was a ulterior motive, but it kind of felt like it... I enjoy roll20 enough to make it even better. Giving Free Account holders at least 1 vote should be considered.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Quintus said: Don't suppose it would be worthwhile to suggest a new suggestion system that is fair to everyone who spends their time on the site, rather than weigh heavily in favor of those who spend more money? At the end of the day, Roll20 is a business, and the Supporters and Mentors are the cash-flow. It makes sense to weigh in favor of them. And everyone does have a voice... if you've been here long enough. It's worth noting that you can make a dozen free accounts right now with no hassle. All you need is an email, and with services such as mailinator.com, you don't even need one that's actually yours . Automatically giving free accounts a vote could easily lead to ballot-stuffing.
Question (on the new suggestion forum voting system, not a suggestion itself) Lets say I'm a supporter (5 votes) and have been here 2 years (+2 votes) If I spend all 7 of my votes and then go back down to free user (just the 2 votes) What happens to the 5 other votes I cast?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Meldebious(Casey) said: Question (on the new suggestion forum voting system, not a suggestion itself) Lets say I'm a supporter (5 votes) and have been here 2 years (+2 votes) If I spend all 7 of my votes and then go back down to free user (just the 2 votes) What happens to the 5 other votes I cast? If I'm remembering correctly those 5 other votes are ignored until you become a subscriber again. It would mean your first two votes are counted and the rest are not counted.

Edited 1412776057
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Brian said: Quintus said: Don't suppose it would be worthwhile to suggest a new suggestion system that is fair to everyone who spends their time on the site, rather than weigh heavily in favor of those who spend more money? At the end of the day, Roll20 is a business, and the Supporters and Mentors are the cash-flow. It makes sense to weigh in favor of them. And everyone does have a voice... if you've been here long enough. It's worth noting that you can make a dozen free accounts right now with no hassle. All you need is an email, and with services such as mailinator.com, you don't even need one that's actually yours . Automatically giving free accounts a vote could easily lead to ballot-stuffing. Yes, that is the way I understand it, Free accounts have to be here a year to get one vote. Unless you are willing to maintain a free account for a year then it shouldn't lead to ballot stuffing. Free accounts under a year can not create new suggestions but they can post on pre-existing suggestions is what I understand also.
I think it would be great if you guys could add things like Mists, or rain i know that may be asking for a bit much but it would add more to the gaming experience

Edited 1412789050
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
How about 1 Vote = $1 for the free accounts? You could even cap it at 1 for free accounts. A one-time vote. It would somewhat "legitimize" the voter's sincerity, raise more capital for roll20, and we still get a "pulse" of what the entire roll20 community wants. Win, win, win.

Edited 1412793655
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Israel, Vince, Wolpertinger. This is not a suggestion thread. This is a discussion thread about the suggestion forum and how it is being implemented. Please use the appropiate forum for suggestions.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Pat S. said: Israel, Vince, Wolpertinger. This is not a suggestion thread. This is a discussion thread about the suggestion forum and how it is being implemented. Please use the appropiate forum for suggestions. My statements are directly related to the New Suggestion Forum and the new Voting system that has been implemented for it. I apologize if I seem to be ranting.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Vince said: How about 1 Vote = $1 for the free accounts? You could even cap it at 1 for free accounts. A one-time vote. It would somewhat "legitimize" the voter's sincerity, raise more capital for roll20, and we still get a "pulse" of what the entire roll20 community wants. Win, win, win. Vince said: Pat S. said: Israel, Vince, Wolpertinger. This is not a suggestion thread. This is a discussion thread about the suggestion forum and how it is being implemented. Please use the appropiate forum for suggestions. My statements are directly related to the New Suggestion Forum and the new Voting system that has been implemented for it. I apologize if I seem to be ranting. I took your post as a suggestion post that is why I mentioned about this is not a suggestion thread.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I took your post as a suggestion post that is why I mentioned about this is not a suggestion thread. No problem Pat. I think I was just expressing my "knee-jerk" reaction to the new voting system. Can't wait to see how the new features get implimented.
I recently added a new suggestion, spending one of my own votes on it to put it at the initial +1. Now that I've checked the day after, my suggestion lost 1 vote that it never had, putting it at 0 without me pulling my vote out of it. Now my suggestion appears to have been hidden, without any feedback towards me of why or how. What happened? I don't see anything in the FAQ's describing this. Should it be relevant, you can find the suggestion I made at <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1250906/additional-token-bars/#post-1250906" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1250906/additional-token-bars/#post-1250906</a> . (If linking is against forum policies, let me know and I'll remove the link)
Brian said: Quintus said: Don't suppose it would be worthwhile to suggest a new suggestion system that is fair to everyone who spends their time on the site, rather than weigh heavily in favor of those who spend more money? At the end of the day, Roll20 is a business, and the Supporters and Mentors are the cash-flow. It makes sense to weigh in favor of them. And everyone does have a voice... if you've been here long enough. It's worth noting that you can make a dozen free accounts right now with no hassle. All you need is an email, and with services such as mailinator.com, you don't even need one that's actually yours . Automatically giving free accounts a vote could easily lead to ballot-stuffing. As a business, yes they can choose to sell what they want. But what are they giving us by choosing who gets a voice in the suggestions thread? They certainly aren't prioritizing good suggestions. What they are doing is prioritizing "paying" voices, over and above anybody who isn't a "paying" voice. They own their software...yes. They don't own the voice of the "community" they say they value but then censor...not cool. A voting system is fine. But good suggestions don't just come from people who have money in their pockets to give to the dev team. Regarding vote spam, I believe a better way to prevent that is to have a 100 hour requirement before being able to cast a vote. I see plenty of old accounts that have few hours on them, but those who actually spend any time here gaming can easily work up to 100 hours. I think people who vote should be actually using the software before they make votes about the direction of the software. Fair? I think much more so.

Edited 1413047264
Going further, I would even say that 1 vote per X hours (100, or 200 perhaps) is a much more fair system, and much simpler for everyone to understand how to use, while being a direct reflection of the "community" they say they value, rather than the dollars. If what they want is to only listen to paying accounts. Well then, their new system is just fine the way it is.