Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Create Custom Sets of Status Icons for Tokens

Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
+1 The current icons are pretty non-sensical, and not very appropriate for either of the games I've run on Roll20. It would be east for me to make some that were, however.
+1 for this, only a handful of the icons are useful at all, and I'd like to be able to add my own.
Allen
Sheet Author
+1 I would also like them to be meaningful, tied to effects that can modify the sheet through temporary modifiers for example. This could be handled with a section of the character sheets much like roll templates are.
This would be nice, plus I would like the ability to add a tooltip so you can mouse over it or tap the icon and you can see why it stands for.
+1
I think that this is an excellent candidate for a future "power user" feature, which is exactly the type of things we're looking to do for the next major update.
Woot. To re-iterate... here's what I would love to see: User definable list of icons for a campaign including: image name api access description of icon Mouseover tooltips with the name of the icon and a brief description (maybe api settable only) Example: A bolt of lightning with a circle around it named Ongoing Lightning Damage  and when you mouseover it, a tooltip appears that gives that name plus a description we can add via the API. This would make it very useful for setting conditions and having a reminder on the token for tracking the condition. Ability to start from a blank slate with no icons. This would be preferrable to simply being able to add icons. That way we could make an icon set of like six icons only that are needed for a game. Would be very useful for board games and tabletop war games.
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Woot! indeed
the ability to add timers that automatically count down as initiative round progresses past the character would be cool too

Edited 1439249040
Riley D. said: I think that this is an excellent candidate for a future "power user" feature, which is exactly the type of things we're looking to do for the next major update. Does that mean this suggestion should be marked as Long term, or something similar? I'm sorry, It already is. My bad, though it might be worth giving long term a badge on the thread list. Josh A. said: the ability to add timers that automatically count down as initiative round progresses past the character would be cool too Technically, that can already be done by adding an entry to the initiative tracker, setting it's initiative to the number of rounds you want it to last (and manually positioning at the correct point in the order), and setting it's math to -1, so it's initiative ticks down each round. That said, it would be nice to have the feature native to the status icons.
+1 Not Enough!
J. Dale Himebaugh said: +1 Need ""Prone", "Hands and Knees", etc. For GURPS so the ability to customize the emblem would be helpful. +1.  I'm currently looking at alternative VTTs for my group, and I find it hard to believe anyone uses Roll20 for GURPS without this.  I find myself wondering how they manage.
+1 yessss!!!

Edited 1443568778
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Until there's an official update with custom status markers, I've created an API script that lets you use graphics or line/freehand paths as custom markers. Here's the API thread for it: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2408402/script-c" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2408402/script-c</a>...
The only issue I have with your script Stephen is figuring out how to get it to work with a Status tracker like this&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Script:Initiative_Tracker" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Script:Initiative_Tracker</a>

Edited 1443968085
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
As I've mentioned in the Custom Status Tokens script thread, that functionality is beyond the scope of my script. Its job is to provide a way to create custom status markers and then be able to set them onto tokens, along with any optional number badge. However, the script does expose many of its functions through a CustomStatusMarkers object, which can be used in a new script to extend its functionality to do what you want. I leave that though as an exercise to another developer who is more familiar with the Initiative Tracker script.
+1
+1 The colors work for some things too (red for bleed, green for poison), but I agree with what some others have said, many of the status markers could be useful for some systems, but aren't for what I need.
Goat Games
Marketplace Creator
+ 1 this need to happen
+1 for sure. &nbsp;Some of the icons just don't make a lot of sense to some of the games. &nbsp;I also vote for allowing to color them as well.
+1, most of the existing ones don't match any of the needs I have in my games.
+1
I would like to add onto this by suggesting the ability to have numbers passed 0-9 and enter the double or triple digits. A good example would be to have the Wings Icon and be able to use it as a height meter for flying creatures or the Water Icon to determine depth in water environments. EX: Wings with #10 = 10 feet in the air
+1
I would like this. Please add some numbers to the status icons too!

Edited 1453508732
Dave
Pro
+1 Also, it would be great if we could scale the effect icons--some are just too small to see clearly unless zoomed very close, and on some tokens the tiny status icons seem to float far away from them, making it hard to tell what they're pointing to.
I was just looking to suggest this very thing (or some examples of other specific icons - but being able to attach your own would be even better). I could imagine you could even have creators selling icon packs in the Marketplace.
I definitely would like to see this implemented.
I'd love to see this too, the current ones aren't much use in my sci fi campaign and seen geared more towards fantasy.
+1 I'd love that too, And maybe reposition them so they don't cover the bars.
A. L. said: +1 I'd love that too, And maybe reposition them so they don't cover the bars. You can choose what side the status icons appear on the tokens. Under campaign options/settings inside the campaign.

Edited 1456689840
+1 This would be so sweet! &nbsp;I tend to play unorthodox characters with strange abilities etc. For example, Thrush, my Bugbear Wilderness Guardian in AD&D 2e would be benefit from a dedicated icon to remind the GM that he has an extra bite attack each round when his Natural Fighting proficiency is active. Similarly, if his scavenged armor is in disrepair, it would be useful to flag that until he fixes it to remind us to calculate stealth penalties etc.
And display options that are actually visible to the eye - especially to the focally challenged like me, especially when in focus.
Yes please. &nbsp;Custom icons similar to how photoshop brushes are only make sense.
+1 This is a common comment in my games. Would love to supplement the ones we have with others more fitting.

Edited 1464866024
+1 also, speaking of tokens, why are the token bars out of order?
I've wondered that token bar order thing myself.
Would it be possible to make custom icons at the expense of the existing ones, I.E. using something like Stylish in order to overwrite the existing status sheet with a custom one? If it's possible it might act as a decent alternative.
+1
Alan F. said: Would it be possible to make custom icons at the expense of the existing ones, I.E. using something like Stylish in order to overwrite the existing status sheet with a custom one? If it's possible it might act as a decent alternative. Perhaps, but... you would only be able to have the same number of them. Since the status icons are all one png and shown via negative/positive margins or positions to show the right one. I may try such a thing after I finish my character sheet.
Was just thinking of this the other day. +1 for sure.
+1 current icons make little sense
The Aaron said: Wow, that's pretty awesome! I'm just curious, Aaron, how would a custom icon implement like this affect the capabilities of your Token Mod API? I'm assuming each new custom token would have a generated ID or something?&nbsp; Stuff to think about...
+1
+1 This sounds amazing.
+1 This would greatly help in pathfinder with characters who apply a large amount of range buffs. Bards, Battle Heralds etc.. I would Love to see this.
+1 as well. This would be useful, especially to get status icons that make more sense for 5e.

Edited 1477886288
I do agree the stock icons for status are not very useful.&nbsp;Short cut for now would be to create a handout for players with a graphical key that describes what the icons/colors represent when they see one in use.&nbsp;