Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

[Dynamic Lighting] Add a map-wide light setting

Sam M.
Pro
Sheet Author
Let's say I have a map of a well lit manor, but I don't want the players to be able to see all the rooms at once. I have to create the walls of the manor with the Dynamic Lighting layer, and then create a light for each room. This will do the job but it'll also have some performance issues if there are just too many lights/rooms. With this suggestion, I could still create the walls of the manor, but instead of making individual lights, I could set a map-wide light setting so that the entire map could have the same lighting and vision could still be blocked.
This becomes much more obviously useful for outdoor maps with line of sight obstructions (buildings, trees, etc). An overhead "sun" which lights everything up, but where you can still use line of sight obstructions would be excellent. Currently, I place many suns on the map, and it creates both performance issues, and ugliness. An important part of this feature would be the ability to add rooftops, so that the insides of buildings aren't lit up by the overhead light (say you set it to dim light, and the inside of the building should be dark).
Being able to have a 'daylight' region would be great. I also have to revert to either multiple suns, or making each character a light source with a really large radius. Having 'inside' and 'outside' areas would be needed - I often have maps which mixes outdoors and caves.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Perhaps you could draw filled polygons which are ignored as dynamic light blockers, but which prevent the ambient light from being set in an area. Or possibly add a line thickness option where the line doesn't block light, but the fill blocks the ambient light...
ove1kenobi
KS Backer
Sheet Author
I've also been wishing for a feature like this. And combined with the suggestion of Different Light Types it would be easy to simulate twilight or perhaps foggy conditions.
been hoping for something like this to come along as well. i, too have used the work around of giving the players large light source raddii.
I think this could/should be rolled into my suggestion here.... <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1246470/special-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1246470/special-</a>... please support my idea!
Would this be a directional lighting effect or a straight down effect?
Both would be nice.
Paul S.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
yep - I'd like this as well. Work around is dropping an invisible token on the map ... not tough - but having a setting would be nice.
I like a lighting flood metric where light can 'flood' in form a source like water. Helps with outdoor-indoor maps.
Nice suggestion, +1
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
All my previous uses of dynamic lighting have been in underground/inside scenes. Today I'm prepping a nighttime scene for my group, and dear lord this is... rough. I'm using + shaped lines inside the trees on the dynamic lighting layer to emulate their light-blocking nature, and I have a dim moon in the upper left. The campfire is bright for 10'' and then dim for another 40, and the raft in the upper right has two dim-5' torches. I just wish this could be more graceful with how shadows are thrown. :/
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I just wish this could be more graceful with how shadows are thrown. :/ I like that map GK! Would love to see a "softer" transition between light levels. Something like a "blur" slider when you add drop shadow in a graphics program would be nice.

Edited 1415718446
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
This suggestion is now completed. The Dynamic Lighting settings inside the Page Settings dialog box now has a new option, "Global Illumniation." Checking this while "Enforce Line of Sight" is checked will effectively make it so that there is always "light" wherever a token can see. If you feel like a suggestion you made in the comments wasn't done or you want this feature expanded upon, please start a new suggestion thread that outlines your requested additional improvements. This thread will now be closed, and all votes for it will automatically be refunded so they can be re-spent. The score will remain the same as it was for posterity.