Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow More Player Control

I love the ability of players to draw on the play area for their own effect sizes and things. But, as a GM, I would like to give players more control over adding tokens, map items, making their own handouts, new character sheets, etc. It would be nice if one could have campaign and/or map settings to allow players access to some or all of the GM powers.
I'll vote this up because it kind of overlaps what I was going to suggest: giving players the ability to import characters from their own vault. Players should be responsible for their character sheets, not the GM. I'd also like to be able to let players pick their own token images and associate their character stats with token properties.

Edited 1412710662
Trying to clarify what you are suggesting To: Ethan, I'm pretty sure what your suggesting can be accomplished by making your players co-dms To: IamSparticles Under campaign settings the Gm can switch on the ability to let players export characters from the player's vaults to a his/her campaign, which should solve your first issue. As far as letting l players pick their own token images, I think this is already a feature, when you give a player editable control over a character they can import what they want as a token to the avatar section of the character sheet, which then can be dragged and dropped onto the map from the Journal tab

Edited 1412711801
Hey Tim, thanks for the reply. The Co-GM system does offer a package of what I suggest, however it does not allow selection of powers. I like my players to be able to add their own token to the map, but I certainly don't want them to see the map list or be able to drag the players flag from map to map. Having the ability to pick and choose what powers my players could access would be much more preferential. Example list with check boxes per map, per campaign or per player: [] Player(s) can add tokens [] Player(s) can edit GM token [] Player(s) can edit Map Layer [] Player(s) can see/edit dynamic lighting layer [] Player(s) can see/edit fog [] Player(s) can add/delete Journal pages [] Player(s) can add/edit characters and character/token associations
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
IamSparticles said: giving players the ability to import characters from their own vault. Players should be responsible for their character sheets, not the GM. This is already possible, but the GM has to permit it. Just like in the Real World™ it's possible for you to create your character before the game and bring it to the table, but the GM has to permit such a character.
tim said: To: IamSparticles Under campaign settings the Gm can switch on the ability to let players export characters from the player's vaults to a his/her campaign, which should solve your first issue. As far as letting l players pick their own token images, I think this is already a feature, when you give a player editable control over a character they can import what they want as a token to the avatar section of the character sheet, which then can be dragged and dropped onto the map from the Journal tab Ah, I see. I didn't notice that option. You have to be outside of the actual campaign to access it. Thanks! The avatar isn't the same as having a default token associated with the character. The token actually retains things like status bar settings and light/vision. If you only have an avatar, then every time you drag it to the map it creates a new token that has to be re-configured. I guess if the player sets the avatar, then the DM can create a token from it... just seems a little convoluted.
Brian said: IamSparticles said: giving players the ability to import characters from their own vault. Players should be responsible for their character sheets, not the GM. This is already possible, but the GM has to permit it. Just like in the Real World™ it's possible for you to create your character before the game and bring it to the table, but the GM has to permit such a character. Even if a character is imported, the player has no edit control over the character. They can only see it.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I as a GM, I would much rather players be able to pick their own tokens. This has bugged me since starting to use the site.
Kevin said: I as a GM, I would much rather players be able to pick their own tokens. This has bugged me since starting to use the site. What I do is I just put up a huge grid of character tokens and let players pick one. My problem is rather the opposite, players want to drop the tokens wherever, draw all over the game, create massive auras for themselves, move their tokens off of traps without rolling. They pretty much just go hog wild and it drives me nuts. I'd personally want to limit the control players have.
Ethan H. said: Hey Tim, thanks for the reply. The Co-GM system does offer a package of what I suggest, however it does not allow selection of powers. I like my players to be able to add their own token to the map, but I certainly don't want them to see the map list or be able to drag the players flag from map to map. Having the ability to pick and choose what powers my players could access would be much more preferential. Example list with check boxes per map, per campaign or per player: [] Player(s) can add tokens [] Player(s) can edit GM token [] Player(s) can edit Map Layer [] Player(s) can see/edit dynamic lighting layer [] Player(s) can see/edit fog [] Player(s) can add/delete Journal pages [] Player(s) can add/edit characters and character/token associations This would be an absolute nightmare for me.
Ethan H. said: I love the ability of players to draw on the play area for their own effect sizes and things. But, as a GM, I would like to give players more control over adding tokens, map items, making their own handouts, new character sheets, etc. It would be nice if one could have campaign and/or map settings to allow players access to some or all of the GM powers. Someone informed me that a suggestion I made was similar tot his one, however I really want kind of the opposite I want to be able to limit players abilities because I have players that have more fun screwing around and making things hard for me than actually playing. I've actually had to unlink a player from his token to keep him from screwing around. Its distracting and annoying. My players like to draw all over the place and write every where, they want to make their auras rediculous sizes, move their tokens off of traps without rolling, or when key plot points are happening just move their token all over the place. This is also tedious because sometimes their tokens get stuck under other objects so I have to tear the map apart to get them back out. I'd really like to be able to hit a button and lock all tokens in current position or just lock PC tokens. I'd like to turn off their ability to draw on the map as well. Because then I have to interrupt what I'm doing to remove the drawings, I used to hit clear drawings but then turns out for some reason half the tokens and items on the map are being treated as drawings and they disappear. I'm getting sick of it and I've told them to stop and that it is very stressful for me but they don't seem to care or take it seriously so I'd really like the ability to just lock it all down.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Red , the commonality between your suggestion and this one is that a GM can define what the players can and cannot do. Things that are currently GM only can be handed off to Players and things that the GM cannot restrict the Players from using can be restricted. In short, it is 'more options over what the Players can or cannot do in the campaign'.
I know my DM gets frustrated every time we ask him to adjust a stat linked to our tokens... it really would be better if a feature were implemented to allow a DM to give players greater control over their Token settings, creation of new charactersheets, creation of new personal handouts... etc...
+1 from me. As I am primarily a GM and a player second. I'd like to avoid those times when I have to ask the GM to do something with my token or character sheet that I am perfectly capable of doing myself with the proper permissions.
+1 from me. I like this idea a lot. I play a lot of games that are more cooperative in nature and being able to let the players have more control of the interface will encourage that.
I trust my players, and find that the normal Roll20 restrictions placed on them slow down the game, partly as we've been playing a Pokémon-based game where creating new characters and tokens is a regular occurrence, partly as we use the numbers on token bubbles to convey information which is lost when you can't even select tokens that don't belong to you. I would like to use the GM layer and that fancy dynamic lighting mode that comes with my subscription, but as long as we need to all be co-GMs to play the game that won't be an option.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Chris has some ideas in this space , but can't post in these forums yet. Here are his comments and mockups: I've came up with a few ideas myself, because this really bothers me. (I made sample pictures for each idea, to make it as clear as possible. Please excuse my paint "skills".) Either: A) Give the GM the option to allocate one color to each player. Each player can only use this specific color. B) Make it so that, the drawing shows the name of the person who did it when you mouse over it. (i cant draw but its the best i could do...sorry) C) An option to restrict the drawing tool to GMs only.
I'm a long time friend of Greybeard T., who is just starting a campaign as DM. I've joined his campaign as a player, but I'm also helping him out significantly with campaign set up: tokens, maps, music, macros and character sheet organization. Currently, I have to find him these items, and point him in the right direction so he can put them into the campaign. Is it possible to allow the DM to extend these types of permissions to his players at his/her discretion?
Gold
Forum Champion
the admiral said: I'm a long time friend of Greybeard T., who is just starting a campaign as DM. I've joined his campaign as a player, but I'm also helping him out significantly with campaign set up: tokens, maps, music, macros and character sheet organization. Currently, I have to find him these items, and point him in the right direction so he can put them into the campaign. Is it possible to allow the DM to extend these types of permissions to his players at his/her discretion? admiral, you would ask Greybeard to promote you to Co-GM on his campaign details page, to give you those abilities. Documentation: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Campai" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Campaign_Management#Campai</a>...
+1. At times I would like to enable a specific feature for a player(s) instead of giving GM privileges with the entire suite. In addition, would love to see control over players drawing on an individual basis. I've had players interfere and distract others during a role-play segment and I have no way to track who drew it. Forcing colors on each player and disabling on a per player basis would be awesome.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is a way to track and control this for Pro members. API can: 1) Rat out the drawer on path create. 2) Remove the drawing on&nbsp;path create. 3) Force color on path create. 4) Force drawing to the GM layer for approval. 5) etc.
Thanks for the information Stephen, but it does not help those who do not have access to the API through a Pro membership. A suggestion should also not be disqualified just because It can be accomplished in the API.
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Justin said: Thanks for the information Stephen, but it does not help those who do not have access to the API through a Pro membership. A suggestion should also not be disqualified just because It can be accomplished in the API. Nope! Just saying!
+1 from me for sure. I'd love for my players to have more control without being able to see all that I want to hide. Advanced player controls would be a huge improvement and time saver. Another suggestion that would go along with this: restrict players ability to see turn order. I have many enemies that they may not be aware of and seeing them on the turn order gives them away but without it it's more difficult to keep track of who goes when. Also the ability to minimize it when it's in the way without losing the order.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Silver, players won't see anyone in the turn order who is on the GM layer or obscured by fog of war or dynamic lighting. Also, the turnorder is persisted, closing it does not clear it. Additionally, you can double click the header of it to put it in a minimal mode where it just a translator header.&nbsp;
I was just thinking the other day how great it would be if I could give players control of a tab. The GM for one of games gaves us a "home" a blank tab with grass. He said this would be our base, and then I thought. "If we could work on this tab, and build our own tab while the GM runs the game, that would be great." Now I do understand we could always create a 'second' game, where we are all GMs. But it's the idea of more 'player control' like you mention. +1
The Aaron said: Silver, players won't see anyone in the turn order who is on the GM layer or obscured by fog of war or dynamic lighting. Also, the turnorder is persisted, closing it does not clear it. Additionally, you can double click the header of it to put it in a minimal mode where it just a translator header.&nbsp; I don't believe that's true about the fog of war or dynamic lighting. Just GM Layer.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd say that "Can I get a character sheet?" is the most common phrase heard outside of "Roll initiative". One of the games I am in has a lot of rotating players and the DM isn't always around to handle every little thing, but he doesn't want to promote anyone to GM, because then that person would be able to see all the maps and monsters. It would be great if next to the "Promote to GM" button, there was a "Make this player a moderator" button. Then you could give them privileges like "Can create character sheets" or "Can create Rollable Table", but other than those abilities, they would function like a normal player, unable to switch between maps or delete assets. My DM would really benefit from a Rollable Table for Magic Items and I would be happy to make it for him, but sadly, that can;t currently happen.
I'm all for adding the ability to let players fiddle with their own token settings. It is super annoying that players cant adjust things like what some(or all) of their bars are linked to ect. Just add on an extra check box in the settings tap to let them adjust that information if you want them to be able to.&nbsp; Also would be nice to all them to change visibility of their aspects as well, maybe with another check box to allow/disallow their control of it.&nbsp; Personally I'd like to be able to force 1 or 2 of the bars to be linked to something, like hp or whatever, and allow them to customize what their other bars would be used for and if they want others to see them or not.
+1
Just found this threat courtesy of a mod. &nbsp;they are welcome to merge mine, here:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3775558/i-dub-thee-decorator-granting-player-rights-to-map-layers" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3775558/i-dub-thee-decorator-granting-player-rights-to-map-layers</a> I wrote:&nbsp; I dub thee decorator: Granting player rights to Map layers I'd like to grant players permission to use and edit the Map Layer on a per-map and/or per-campaign basis. I would use this feature to allow players to help me dress up maps with scene items without having to show them everything else I have hidden (which is what happens if I promote them GM for this purpose). For example, maybe they have their own base and want to spice it up with new features or upgrades. Or maybe they want to build a base from scratch and I'll approve and polish it. Since players wouldn't have access to the same tiles as me (they are account-based), I'm aware they may need a decoration map to reference tokens and tiles--or I could use the campaign permissions and they can poach from other maps I've made. I would also encourage them to support the artists by buying applicable art. This feature might boost token and tile sales among players who are promoted to decorators.
James W.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You got my vote entirely for allowing players to create rollable tables. &nbsp;It'd be nice if I didn't have to ask the GM to create a splash weapon miss table for when my alchemists inevitably miss with a bomb.
PrincessFairy
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I agree +1 from me This idea is something I have ran into a few times. When a player has to wait on a DM to drop down a spell token when a player could have a folder with access so they can drop down the tokens. I have seen a few people create character sheets, label them as spells and put a spell icon in there for editing play purpose, set the control settings to all players and they can now drop there character token down on the map themselves. This is wonderful, and doing this allows spells to be dropped down in the same fashion, limited by the DM selection, but most common spells like cones and fireballs are great to add into the collection of spells as character sheets.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
More player control would help take some of the burden off of a GM. &nbsp;I specifically would like to see allowing player's with imported characters automatically be given permission to edit/control their sheet's.
Most important doe me would be players being able to rezise their own tokens. It's kind of a drag (pun intended) do have todo that all the time when it would be much more convenient for everyone for them to do it.
Grimtina said: Most important to me would be players being able to resize their own tokens. It's kind of a drag (pun intended) do have to do that all the time when it would be much more convenient for everyone for them to do it. Yes, ever since I gave them the enlarge spell I am doing this all the time.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
camelotcrusade said: Grimtina said: Most important to me would be players being able to resize their own tokens. It's kind of a drag (pun intended) do have to do that all the time when it would be much more convenient for everyone for them to do it. Yes, ever since I gave them the enlarge spell I am doing this all the time. Minor work around since you are a pro user (but doesn't detract from the importance of this suggestion!) is to use TokenMod, you can quickly give them access to a macro that would allow them to resize their token or even add it as a new line for the spell macro ;)
Right now we feel we have the best permissions for the largest amount of games (roleplaying with a Game Master being the majority usage here). While there are scenarios where board game licensing may force some permission adjustments down the road, these permissions are nothing we intend to work on specifically at this time.