Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Colour coded macros

As the title suggests please allow for colour coded macros so they can easily be found. For characters that have a large number of token actions it can take a while to find the right one.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Love the idea of color coding macros. I would like to take this idea one step further and allow macros to be organized into menus, similar to the current Toolbox menu system. A hierarchy of categorized macros, color coded! Or Colour coded!
+1 to menu idea.
+1 to either the colour coded macro buttons OR the menu (ideally both). Very useful for those higher level character in 4e. The number of powers gets rather large!

Edited 1416037305
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm on a jag for making some mock-ups for some suggestions I've voted on. Here's an example of what I was thinking of for the color coded macros. I would like to push for macro menus as well, but I think it works well together or independently.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Voting for color-coding AND/OR fmenu dropdowns
I vote for this as well! Color for anything is good!

Edited 1427211587
I'm re-editing this post to reflect macro overhaul. 1. Macros should be color coded: Vince said: I'm on a jag for making some mock-ups for some suggestions I've voted on. Here's an example of what I was thinking of for the color coded macros. I would like to push for macro menus as well, but I think it works well together or independently. 2. Macros should have a drop-down feature: 3. Use Attributes as Macro Names: What about allowing the macro name to be pulled from a value in an attribute? For example, if I had a character named Trigshot who had an attribute called melee_weapon with its value set to Greatsword, I could write a macro that looked like this: And the title of the macro would change itself to Greatsword . 4. Prompt/Query Drop-Downs Implement the suggestion as seen in this thread . Here's a mock-up I made for it: 5. Macro Management or Macro Editor Tab Macros should be able to be organized into folders similar to the handout folder system, or perhaps have their own page separate away from the other settings for the Roll20 client. Even something as simple as making the Macros section of the settings area be collapsible would be fine.
Oh yeah, This is a very fancy Idea 10/10, would vote the ups again, yep.

Edited 1427240093
+1 This is my most wanted feature so far. Would be nice if the macros will be sorted by their color. Currently in my game my 10+ token macros is a big mess.
+1 Along the same lines, I'd love to see some responsive color coding of the text within the macro editor, like in Sublime Text. For example, if you typed in @{selected|token_name}, it could turn blue to show that it is recognized/valid, but if you forgot to add the closing curly brace, it would stay black. This kind of color-coding would really help for troubleshooting macros, letting you spot typos, syntax errors, and other inconsistencies.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That would be a nice addition Glenn. A color-coded syntax checker. :-)
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Notepad++ really really helps with writing macros, as a workaround :)

Edited 1432860668
I like trigshot's idea, but I'd suggest having collapsible/file hierarchy rather than drop downs. This would allow you to keep a section you're using open rather than going through a menu tree for each macro. (Got referenced here after making similar post, will move stuff over some time after game.)
James B. said: I like trigshot's idea, but I'd suggest having collapsible/file hierarchy rather than drop downs. This would allow you to keep a section you're using open rather than going through a menu tree for each macro. (Got referenced here after making similar post, will move stuff over some time after game.) Yeah this is a better idea.
+1, bumping this. This is a great idea and very useful. I hope it gets put into effect.
+1, on this all of it REALLY good ideas! and I can't imagine it's a hassle to impliment(?) //T
+1 for anything that reduces the number of macros/abilities on the screen. (save my spell casters from the Macro Horde! You're our only hope!)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I think the new roll query prompts might fulfill some of what we're looking for. &nbsp;Now bring on some color! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2217049/new-upda" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2217049/new-upda</a>...
Vince said: I think the new roll query prompts might fulfill some of what we're looking for. &nbsp;Now bring on some color! <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2217049/new-upda" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2217049/new-upda</a>... Unfortunately, trying to call a macro in a query breaks said query.

Edited 1442610216
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Colorized macros are coming. &nbsp;Testing on the Dev server as I post...
Vince said: Colorized macros are coming. &nbsp;Testing on the Dev server as I post... Sweet, thanks for the update.
Just added colors? Any colapsable groups?
The color-coding is nice, but my vote here was for macro menus/dropdowns/collapsible groups. Anything to cut down on clutter on the screen, but still have all kinds of macro-goodness available.
Yeah...I got directed here when posted my idea about collapsible groups. The colors are just window dressing without the function many of us wanted. Am I supposed to remake my own thread now? or is that one just going to get closed again?
This suggestion is now complete and live: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2445162/new-update-9-slash-22-jukebox-playlists-tabletop-audio-paypal-macro-renaming-tutorial-and-more" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2445162/new-update-9-slash-22-jukebox-playlists-tabletop-audio-paypal-macro-renaming-tutorial-and-more</a>