Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Information that should be in your post's title

MODERATOR EDIT: Before posting any game on this forum, you should utilize the Looking for Group system .  The system has several advantages over the forums-- users being able to search by time frame, for example.   This forum needs some order.  Most of the posts here have too little information to be useful at first glance.  What needs to be in your title: System - what game are you looking for. Time - what time (or time range - eg weekday afternoons EST or Saturday nights AEST) in what time zone are you looking to play. Who - are you a GM looking for players or a player looking for a GM. Good example from Alex R:  "LF Players for D&D 4E lvl 3 dungeon delve (4/16/13 @ 7:30 PM EST)" Another from Niall R.:  "GM looking for players, Star Wars Edge of Empire, Tuesday during the day EST (afternoon/evening GMT) Newbies welcome" This also works, from Roger G:  "Any PFS running tonight?" If more posts followed this format, it'd be a lot easier to organize games here.
Lol I was thinking about posting this but I remember that some one else do it a while back should find that old one and bump it.  The other thing you might want to add is what people should put in there description after putting there game title.
+1! Also woohoo @ getting good example :)
Kind of tricky to search the forums for something like that.  It'd be nice if someone stickied some guidelines like the ones I posted.  Maybe something better.  But this forum really needs a sticky for guidelines to streamline this function's forum.
The Looking for Group section of the website is where you go if you want order. 
Until someone has something better... sticky.
Added request to the initial posting to encourage use of the LFG System.
I sometimes find it easier to read timezones at GMT+X rather than know all the names... 
Tim N. said: I sometimes find it easier to read timezones at GMT+X rather than know all the names...  Actually UTC+X is normally better because it is unaffected by day light savings.
+1, I guess it goes without saying, but if the game is run in a different language than English, it might be good to have that in your title as well. Or from which country the GM / players are. Something like that. Could help with timezones and whatnot.
Valdis said: MODERATOR EDIT: Before posting any game on this forum, you should utilize the Looking for Group system .  The system has several advantages over the forums-- users being able to search by time frame, for example.   This forum needs some order.  Most of the posts here have too little information to be useful at first glance.  What needs to be in your title: System - what game are you looking for. Time - what time (or time range - eg weekday afternoons EST or Saturday nights AEST) in what time zone are you looking to play. Who - are you a GM looking for players or a player looking for a GM. Good example from Alex R:  "LF Players for D&D 4E lvl 3 dungeon delve (4/16/13 @ 7:30 PM EST)" Another from Niall R.:  "GM looking for players, Star Wars Edge of Empire, Tuesday during the day EST (afternoon/evening GMT) Newbies welcome" This also works, from Roger G:  "Any PFS running tonight?" If more posts followed this format, it'd be a lot easier to organize games here. I disagree. Here is why: The post title is used to get attention to your post. The title should not have all the info in it as it makes it too long. If I see a title that goes on forever I don't read what was posted there as it clogs the forum listings. That is what the body of the post is for. The title is meant to have just enough detail generate interest and anyone who wants to know more can read the post and go from there. Also, using the LFG doesn't always generate the results I want as not all games are LFG from there. Say if a group decided to look for another player they might be just keeping an eye on the forums without having the game using the LFG tool. I have had at least one Roll20 game that I have joined in this fashion. Just a few things to consider.
Grand Moff Vixen said: I disagree. Here is why: The post title is used to get attention to your post. The title should not have all the info in it as it makes it too long. If I see a title that goes on forever I don't read what was posted there as it clogs the forum listings. That is what the body of the post is for. The title is meant to have just enough detail generate interest and anyone who wants to know more can read the post and go from there. ... But won't the time to click on every link that says "Cool game here, need players" or "Fantasy game here!", and realize that the timezone are way off, or that the system they are playing is not that one you wanted, to be more wise spent reading acctual good threads that does have the information you need right away? System and Timezone are the most important in my own opinion. Something along the lines of "[GMLP] Pathfinder UTC+X" Is probobly all you need to catch someones intrests and isn't a to long title to clog the forums. [GMLP] or [PLGM] could be used for GM looking for Players or Players looking for GM. Exchange P to G for Group.
How about this then guys try having a read and let me know if you think anything need changing but this should help a bit. I will post another one soon about what info DM/GM should have. Information when posting a looking for game forum In your Title you should have 1.  What game you are looking for eg (pathfinder, World of Darkness, D&D 4e) 2.  What time zone you are in (UTC+X Recommended) 3.  When are you are looking to play a game eg (Weekday Nights, Weekends) Examples of title Example 1 LFG Pathfinder UTC+0 weekends Example2 LFG New World of Darkness UTC+6 Weekday Nights In your description you should have 1.  When are you available and at what time also most important thing what time zone are you in. 2.  How often do you want to play (weekly, biweekly, one shot). 3.  How much experience do you have. 4.  A bit about yourself (optional) Examples of Description  Example 1 Hi guys I am looking for a Pathfinder game between 6-10PM UTC+0. I am free Mondays and Tuesdays at these times. I have played several pathfinder games in the past and have some experience with the system. I am trying to find a game that plays at least once a week. Example 2 Hi guys I am 22 years old and have player 3.5 and pathfinder before but am looking for a D&D 4e I have never player before and am interested in joining a game. I am available on Saturdays and Sundays between 10am-11pm UTC+1. I would like to play a one shot first to see if I like the system if no one shots are available I would like to join a weekly or biweekly game.
I wrote a guide that included this that use to be stickied before the forums changed format. It could still be relevent and/or updated but I will leave that decission to better people than me. Here it is in case it could still be usefull.&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1623/guide-to-better-looking-for-group-posts#post-35062" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1623/guide-to-better-looking-for-group-posts#post-35062</a>
I created my request for a player for my campaign and went to the LFG section to see if the ad is listed and it wasn't there. It shows up when I search for it, but it's not there in the listings. One would think the latest LFG ad would show up on the top of the list, right?