Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Exporting Map layer

Score + 100
I created a 75x75 unit map from an assortment of tiles and wanted to show my friends- unfortunately there was no way to export the map. zooming out and screenshotting is pretty weak as it loses all the detail. It would be nice if you could add a menu option somewhere for "export map layer as png."
Gold
Forum Champion
Good suggestion, Jesse. This was a common suggestion on the old suggestions forum & common question under Specific Use questions. From my research, you're the first to write-up this suggestion on the newer voting-enabled forum. I hope this feature comes to Roll20. I feel like the obstacle involves the Marketplace tiles and objects, since some of the Marketplace products are not licensed for downloading (only licensed for use in Roll20). However I also feel that Roll20 could come up with suitable terms-of-use or mechanical limitations (like a Roll20 watermark automatically pasted on top if necessary) that would allow us to export our maps as a compressed (non-layered) whole. I'll be back to give this +1 upvote when I get more votes available.
A workaround that I have been using is to screenshot the map in multiple places (effectively making a quilt) and then stitching the screenshots together in Photoshop. Still... this is awkward at best. Here's to hoping that they add this feature eventually.
I didn't realize this voting stuff was a thing. I made a post on the Reddit (<a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/3i3tdf/feature_request_exporting_maps_as_images/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/3i3tdf/feature_request_exporting_maps_as_images/</a>) because all my searching showed the last topic being a year old. As it is this topic is 8 months old so I doubt a +1 will do anything. Dont even know if this is on the roadmap or how many votes are needed to get it there.
Julix said over&nbsp; here : Yeah, would be nice to get some kind of official reply to whether this is possible at some point or definitively not because of how licences work, etc. - I mean I like the market place, but I don't want it limiting other options. If that's the reason we couldn't have this, then maybe on a campaign by campaign basis you could be able to opt out of access to such marketplace resources and since you can't download those anyway restricting access to it might not be toooo hard... hmpf. -- Would be pretty nice to build the map in Roll20 rather than photoshop and then just edit it in Photoshop for shading and final touches...
+1 Hopefully this won't die. &nbsp;I really like this idea. &nbsp;:)
Please do.
Adding my voice to the pile
I just voted.
I also have invested time and effort into making maps for my game and wish there was a way to export, even if just to a single .png image.
This has my vote. Also a bump.&nbsp;
Z
Pro
Sheet Author
This will have my vote once one frees up.
Voted and bumped. Site could really use this.
The problem with this is a copyright one. I don't think it will ever be implemented because of that. It would essentially allow me to buy, say, Storm King's Thunder, and then export the maps.
For me this is the difference between setting up maps in roll20 and drawing them somewhere else, then uploading an image as background. I run my adventures both on roll20 and face to face, and I'm not going to do each map twice. Either roll20 is the source and face to face the child, or the other way round.

Edited 1529231951
Somehow this is still not implemented, and the "official" solution as far as I can find out is to "Zoom in and make screenshots and post them in MS Paint and stitch them together" - seriously? My Map is at about 100 x 120 tiles. To get any decent resolution out of it I would need about 20 to 30 screenshots and then fiddle around with them to match up the grids and god beware if I change the zoom level by accident by even a fraction! Couldn't you pretty please implement it? Because the licencing can't be the real reason when they tell people that it's completely fine to do it as long as they do it the ridiculously tedious way. Sadly I only found out about the lack of that function after spending several hours to create a Map for a handout ... :-(
I'd like to add my +1. This would be a great feature. I'd love to be able to export the state of the map for my notes.
I would also really like this.&nbsp; &nbsp; I've had multiple people on facebook groups request that I give them copies of the maps I've made for various modules. Right now it's a real pain in the ass to make screenshots and copy them all.&nbsp; &nbsp; Roll20 has a better map making interface (IMHO) than Dungeon Painter Studio.&nbsp; &nbsp;If I could export my maps, I would bet that more people would use roll20 and buy asset packs over using DPS.

Edited 1539587155
I think this would be an amazing feature. Would add possibilities for making a marked and edited roll20 map put into a handout, or shared on discord, or various other options. I like this idea a lot. +1
I came here to post this suggestion! Glad to see someone else is in the same boat. Not only would it help for handouts, but it would allow me to then simply re-upload the image so there aren't any loading issues because of my hundreds of tokens being used to map. If licensing is the issue, I think a good compromise would be the ability to at least "flatten" all the tokens into one image.&nbsp;
I like this idea.
This is desperately needed for high-quality maps that run on low-end computers. I like to enhance the detail of my maps with lots of tokens, but that puts a heavy strain on players' computers that have load a bunch of different overlapping images. For instance, if I put a floor on top of a high-res image of a room, and then things on that floor, there's suddenly three different layers of shenanigans to load on the map layer alone. A flatten image functionality isn't as necessary on small maps, but on large maps, especially dungeons, Roll20 can't really do much to help the players unless you stitch together printscreened images like a user suggested above.
@ID51 Because maps with many overlapping assets load slowly and sometimes even are show before the fog of war is drawn, i stopped using roll20 as 'map' editor. As a workaround I now draw all maps in SVG editor inkscape (opensource, free). It has a&nbsp; layer/object tree, grid snapping and you can define a viewport to export a single PNG of the map in the exact size required for roll20. As i use mostly roll20 asset sets that allow download (like from Gabriel Pickards ) there is no need to worry about copyright.&nbsp;
Tony R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes, as someone who likes to build maps in roll20 but has players with slow internet and old computers, this would be a wonderful feature.&nbsp;

Edited 1604828630
Map export would be a really great feature! Shouldn't be too hard to realize...