Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Character Sheet - Poor Interactive Experience

Currently working with the abilities of a character is a pretty poor user experience. To bring up a character sheet you have to click a tab, then find the character and click. Then a modal appears that has two tabs - seek and click. When you click edit, you go back to the bio page so to edit that character's abilities you've got to click on the tab again. Then while you edit an ability macro you have to switch to the chat tab to view the output, then when you have the ability right, you have to click a tiny checkmark button to save the ability (Clicking "Save Changes" doesn't save these edits!). Then you have to click "Save Changes" on the window, which then closes. So now, to add that new ability to the macro bar (assuming you have clicked on the gear tab and enabled the macro bar previously) you have to swap back to the character tab (because you were on the chat tab to test) and then re-find the character, open them up, navigate to the right tab and then click on the "Show in Macro Bar" checkbox. Kind of a long process to get an attribute ready. Here is what I'd like to see done to streamline the process: Add a quick way to open an attached character sheet by interacting with a token. Like maybe Right Click > Open Associated Character "Show in Macro Bar" checkbox should be present in the Edit state as well as the view state When clicking "Save Changes" on the edit view of a character sheet, the window should not disappear. Instead the window should return to the View state. In addition, any Ability currently being edited is saved. Some nice to haves: Right click option on Macro bar buttons that open up the appropriate character sheet, in Edit mode with the right ability ready to be edited. When clicking "Show in Macro Bar" the macro bar should be enabled automatically. A single disable toggle in the settings tab should override this functionality, and no macro bar should be shown for players that have no macros in their bar. (Could we also make that macro bar look a bit nicer! ;)  The ability to right click in the chat area and select "Add as Ability Macro". A dialog would pop up with the chat box's text in a macro edit field, and a drop down of all the characters the current player owns. This should also have a pre-selected "Show in Macro Bar" checkbox and a name field. Clicking "Save Macro" adds that Ability Macro to the appropriate character sheet (and to your macro bar). A "Test Ability" button on Ability edit area that brings a modal popup up with the output of the Ability so that the chat stream doesn't get polluted with Ability tests. It's all about making this easy to use, and making it "just work".
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
You should have posted it to the Suggestion forum not the bug & Technical forum . Good suggestions anyway.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Moved to suggestion forum.  - Gauss
+1
+1
Excellent suggestions. I'd also like some control over the font size in the Attributes and Abilities section. It's fine for characters with only a few stats, but tighter use of the space would help for longer character sheets.
Also, I'm not crazy about two tabs in the character profile.  To create macro/abilities I'd like to be able to read the description from the bio without swapping back and forth between the two tabs.
+1 The two tabs on the profiles is a good start, but I do find my self switching back and forth from descriptions to abilities when first setting up a character and any macros.
+1 for right click on token for character sheet.
Gauss
Forum Champion
How to avoid switching back and forth while setting up a character. 1) Open character sheet X. 2) Edit character sheet X.  3) Open second copy of character sheet X. 4) Set up both sheets side by side.  5) Set tabs opposite of each other (If you are editing Abilities and Attributes, set the copy to Bio) - Gauss
+1 for a direct link from token to character sheet.
In case you missed it, several of theses suggestions got implemented today. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/213538/new-update-6-slash-25-usability-improvements-group-rotation-slash-scaling-and-more-dot-dot-dot" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/213538/new-update-6-slash-25-usability-improvements-group-rotation-slash-scaling-and-more-dot-dot-dot</a>
I continue to watch this tool for a usable character sheet, as the current one fails to provide a quality D&amp;D experience.&nbsp; I understand game neutral, but for me that simply turns into game inadequate.&nbsp; The character sheet is still lacking for usable D&amp;D gaming.