Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Option to only see unread suggestions or sort by post date

Currently, finding the new suggestions can be problematic. You can't just go to the end of the list, because if they have received any votes, they are moved up. It would be nice to be able to either filter to only see unread ones, or to be able to optionally sort by original post date.

Edited 1420663294
Gold
Forum Champion
Yes please! Closely Related: (1) Remove the time-limit that makes a Suggestion post closed for Commenting after 2 months. Leave commenting open on all unresolved Suggestions so people can respond and comment later than 2 months. (2) Ability to Limit the Search to just Searching Suggestions & Ideas subforum. Right now the Search Results come from all subforums. If we get this feature, that would also help people who just want to search under API, or just searching under Specific Questions, or just searching under Looking For Group. All very useful. Search Per Forum / Advanced Search suggestion thread (currently at +7): <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240756/forum-se" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240756/forum-se</a>... Search Functionality for Suggestions Forum suggestion thread (currently at +3): <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1422364/search-f" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1422364/search-f</a>... (3) Improve sort-order of Search results. Right now the search results come in a strange order, often with older outdated threads coming first and better answers coming on Page 2. (4) Sink "Completed" Suggestions: or Collect or Move all the suggestions that are marked "Completed" to some certain place --- ideally not leaving them in the Top 5 posts forever. Using the "Sink" feature would put them last, at the bottom. Give more visibility to pending suggestions and less visibility to Completed topics (after an appropriate period of time for everyone to see what has been Completed). The same could be done with all suggestions marked "On Dev" (should be "Sticky" displayed at the top of this subforum). Best to leave the ones marked "Long Term" where-ever they are in the score order. (5) Option to view just the New Suggestions, or just the Unread Suggestions. Endorsing Josh's suggestion. If I find other suggestion threads for the related requests, I'll come back and edit to share the links here. I would personally make a whole general suggestion for "Usability Improvements to the Suggestions Forum", or even "Forum Improvements" in general, but I'm out of votes at the moment.
+1 to this idea, cause I am thinking a lot good ideas get lost in the shuffle.
Alicia
Sheet Author
Don't have any votes left, but +1. Also it seems that we have a lot of duplicate threads. Would be nice if they were somehow compiled to put votes together, etc.

Edited 1423948694
Gold
Forum Champion
Alicia G said: Don't have any votes left, but +1. Also it seems that we have a lot of duplicate threads. Would be nice if they were somehow compiled to put votes together, etc. Good suggestion I agree. I've asked about this and presently, the only way to compile them together, is if the 1st person who posted the thread agrees and does it themself. The dev I talked to didn't want to combine threads manually as a Mod because they wanted it to be the User's choice whether to make a new thread or add on to existing thread. The dev suggested the best way to do it right now is for the Community (us) to reply in the newer thread and tell the user 'There is a similar or related thread and you can add your comment and +1 on this other link if you agree.' And link them to the prominent thread on that subject. People who might want to remove and thread, hide it & recover their vote to cast in another thread, the 1st post person of a thread can do that by Subtracting their +1 from a thread. This is the way for someone to erase a newer duplicate suggestion and then they can vote for the earlier matching suggestion. I completely agree there are Dozens of duplicate threads, which would have higher vote counts if they would Combine. Also the Suggestions forum would appear less cluttered and long/cumbersome to scroll through the pages. It would simply be neater and more accessible if the matching subjects can be combined.
I think the other problem with consolidating duplicate threads is that there are often nuanced differences. The suggestions may overlap, but not completely. Hopefully, if they implement this suggestion, it will make it that much easier to pinpoint duplicates and allow posters to work it out. Gold: I think your additions are excellent.

Edited 1424111163
Gold
Forum Champion
Another idea --- maybe outside the box or unlikely but ---- it would be cool if the Suggestions forum had it's own Sub-divisions within. Suggestions about Tokens (seems to be a big category) Suggestions about Dynamic Light (also big) Suggestions about Jukebox & Sound Suggestions about the Forum or outside the tabletop Other Suggestions (More categories.. not an exhaustive list.. this is off the top of my head.. But I would be happy to help index all the most common topics that could be grouped. I think there would be 6-10 major topic areas, plus a miscellaneous catch-all category) In that way, suggestions which are related but different in nuance, could be collected side-by-side. This would help with finding suggestions to vote for, and helps finding if there is already an overlapping suggestion before posting a new one. And finally, could help when the Devs go to visit a particular area for upgrades, they could review all the related suggestions on that area.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Gold said: Another idea --- maybe outside the box or unlikely but ---- it would be cool if the Suggestions forum had it's own Sub-divisions within. Suggestions about Tokens (seems to be a big category) Suggestions about Dynamic Light (also big) Suggestions about Jukebox & Sound Suggestions about the Forum or outside the tabletop Other Suggestions (More categories.. not an exhaustive list.. this is off the top of my head.. But I would be happy to help index all the most common topics that could be grouped. I think there would be 6-10 major topic areas, plus a miscellaneous catch-all category) In that way, suggestions which are related but different in nuance, could be collected side-by-side. This would help with finding suggestions to vote for, and helps finding if there is already an overlapping suggestion before posting a new one. And finally, could help when the Devs go to visit a particular area for upgrades, they could review all the related suggestions on that area. I would love to see some catagories for suggestions. Great idea!
Gold
Forum Champion
Tell ya what, Vince. *If* Roll20 says or decides to put Sub-categories within the Suggestions board... I'll volunteer, if you'll help me, in the mission of compiling what the common categories really are, and then with helping to demarcate which threads should be sorted into which sub-categories. Might be able to save Steve (et al) some time. That said, for now let's not fiddle with categorizing 300+ threads, unless there comes a subcategory system to slot them into. The 1-6 categories I offered above were non-optimal, off the top of my head. Could do a much better job by taking a comprehensive look and tallying which categories are actually the most Suggested areas. I suspect it's some of the ones I listed, plus quite a few more categories. I think that around 10 categories would cover it, including a catch-all "Other Suggestions" category.

Edited 1424210432
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Sounds like a challenge Gold. :-) I would be happy to help. Passing on another search-related tip; currently I have added each page(0-7) of the Suggestion Forum into a folder(Chrome bookmarks) You can middle-click the folder to open them all onto separate tabs. Use the Chrome extension in10search to search the open tabs. :-) Poor man's roll20 forum search. Downside is that it only searches the text on each tab. Better than nothing though. This can help in locating and sorting topics.
I just spent the past 2 hours combing through the suggestions board to see if a suggestion I was about to post had been made already... and if so toss my vote into it so that there wouldn't be multiple +1 suggestions for the same thing... All of the features suggested in this thread would be help improve how the suggestions board works... As it stands, unless something is on the first few pages it's likely to remain at +1 votes forever and 5 or 6 duplicates will get made by people who might have thrown their vote to the original suggestion had they known it existed in the first place.
+1! The ability to vote on ideas is great, but so many ideas will get no attention because as soon as they are posted they are banished to the back of the forum where people will have to spend hours digging to find them.