Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Give Away a Campaign

Our group rotates GM's sometimes and it would be nice to be able to copy my campaign, make someone else the GM and then make them the owner, so that they could take away my GM status. This seams like a little change, but sometimes someone else wants to GM, but we have already gone through all the set up and do not want to do it again. Example, by brother and I are both Mentors, he is running a game, but wants to take a break. It would be nice if he could give me the game, have his profgile turn into player and then I could run for a couple weeks.
Gold
Forum Champion
That would be nice, though I've heard a reason stated for why they are not allowing it so far. The reason is about copyright, and the Marketplace graphics you can buy on this site. Apparently if you could "give away" a campaign, that would allow transferring of copyrighted graphics or marketplace purchases, so it seems this is why it's not permitted. Note -- your suggestion is still valid. It's good to have this requested as a Suggestion & Idea. I just wanted to answer with the reason I've heard (above) for why this hasn't been implemented yet, and also I will provide a way to work around it. So, you can still appoint someone else as GM, it's called Co-GM, which it sounds like you already know of this option, and this can potentially work for your needs. First the GM would assign another player as Co-GM. Then the "old" GM should click "Re-join as Player" (!). At that point you can be a normal player and the Co-GM can act as the new GM, which should resolve what you want to do with your game with your brother. The co-Gm will be missing access to only a couple minor features that can be controlled just by the Owner. The missing features should not affect gameplay at all. The few features that are limited to Owner only, are things controlled outside the actual game (such as setting the Character Sheet selection which is a one-time thing, and setting the Next Game Time which is a weekly chore). Note that if you are bothered by -- or have the problem with -- logging back in and you're GM and you "see things you shouldn't see" before you manage to click the "Re-join as Player" button, then there is a workaround to learn -- a special link you can bookmark that will make sure you always login as Player not GM when you use that bookmark. The way to do this is told in another thread, and I can help find it if you don't know what I'm referring to, just ask again and I will point it out.
I understand the reasoning, but it would also be helpful in the event that the old game master quits. Currently we use the shared gming thing, but it is not quite the same. Especially if your play style is more old school and you rely on tools like fog of war and secrecy or even PvP.
Gold
Forum Champion
Good point. I don't want it to sound like discounting your Suggestion. Your suggestion is valid. But if you have any questions about how to make the Co-GM mode work more like you want, please ask here, or in Specific Use forum or General Discussion forum. Co-GM mode actually should not harm your Fog Of War or Secrecy, but I can understand how it seems that way & can have that affect. I'm confident there are methods for using Co-GM mode where you can still maintain Fog, Secrecy, and so on. So please ask and pursue methods if you want to, in the meantime.
There's a simple—if perhaps not easy—solution for the issue Roll20 has with the suggestion. Make this option inaccessible for campaigns with content purchased on the Marketplace. A more advanced option would be to be able to copy all non-Marketplace material, then let the new owner repurchase.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .