Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Give The GM Access To Everyone's Macros

Macros are rather complex. I don't mind all that much, but even if I manage to figure out some great macros, it's hard to get my players to copy+paste them all in. It'd be nice if I, as the GM, could write their macros for them.
Gold
Forum Champion
Good news Liam. You can do that. As GM you can create Macros that the Players can use. (Unfortunately the reverse is not currently allowed -- if a Player creates their own Macros they aren't available for the GM to read and edit as far as I know). Go to the gear/settings at the top-right of chat. Click to add a new Macro. There is a box to write the dice code. Under that, look for a "Visible to Players?"... drop-down menu. Here you can make the macro available to All Players, or a certain player. Save it. Here is the necessary step if you want the players to have a Button for the macro, you still need to tell them "Go to the gear at the top-right and checkmark 'IN BAR' and 'Show Macro Quick Bar' for all the macros that are set up". OK this is easier than getting them to copy-paste but you still need to get them to do this checkmarking, otherwise they can still use the macros by typing the #name of it in the chat, but most people prefer to have the quickbar buttons showing. More info is on the Wiki, but I can see that it could be more clear about all this, so ask again if you still have questions on this. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a>
I made a separate request for 5-10 editable macros to be put on the bottom of each character sheet (editable by the player or the GM).

Edited 1422171494
The developers seem to think we are all programmers - my group does not currently use the character sheets for anything other than quasi-pdfs nor does my group use macros tied to the character sheets. my group writes simple character specific macros and I want to be able to proofread them and edit them. if I cant do that its a big negative. When we level up etc we just edit them ourselves. I want to be able to check things etc. Right now thats not really doable.
That's why I have my players make all their "macros" as abilities(on the attributes and abilities tab of their character sheet, instead of under the settings pane for the campaign) instead. It gives the GM the ability to check their math, and help them with any other problems that might come up writing them. Anything that will work as a macro will work as an ability exactly the same way. I do think it would be nice to have the ability to share macros that have already been created as such between players though...
AquaAlex
Sheet Author
Translator
API Scripter
Roger A. said: That's why I have my players make all their "macros" as abilities(on the attributes and abilities tab of their character sheet, instead of under the settings pane for the campaign) instead. It gives the GM the ability to check their math, and help them with any other problems that might come up writing them. Anything that will work as a macro will work as an ability exactly the same way. I do think it would be nice to have the ability to share macros that have already been created as such between players though... As Roger said, that is the way to do player macros. DM/GM macros go in macro section and can be shared with which ever players you choose (as per post from Gold) But it is annoying that Creator and CO-DM's can not edit each others macros:(
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .