Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

To those that use mood music for your games, what do you use?

I been trying to get into using music to set the mood for my games but I can't seem to find anything in the jukebox that's really very usable. So I ask those that makes use of this nifty feature, what tracks do you have running?
Hope this is of use. <a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GYWVCu5jIwUGZjT1pBVzM1bEE/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GYWVCu5jIwUGZjT1pBVzM1bEE/view?usp=sharing</a>
Go to the soundcloud site and search there copy the URL and paste it into the Jukebox search. Most will transport over. I use all kinds of stuff, jazz, classical, choral, plus sound effects ambient noise etc. You can layer the sounds for some interesting effects.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah, the best practice is to just go to soundcloud.com and browse. Set up an account and a playlist to add songs too so you can go back and remember what you liked. I'd recommend doing at least two playlists; one for cool tracks you like and another for ones you definitely want to include in your game. Block out some time as soundcloud is a rabbit hole of unfathomable depths. I blew two hours on it the other day just looking for "London" and "Mystery". Once you have that, just punch in what you want on Roll20 and look for the correct track name. The tags on soundcloud can be really helpful. So use them. That will cut your search time in half easily.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
And when you've started pulling tracks into your campaign, be aware you can rename them! There'll always be a link back to the original URL, so don't be afraid to rename tracks for easier organizing.
Razir said: Hope this is of use. <a href="https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GYWVCu5jIwUGZjT1pBVzM1bEE/view?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4GYWVCu5jIwUGZjT1pBVzM1bEE/view?usp=sharing</a> You've been busy! And thank you! Considering you probably saved me at least a few hours of my time...I'm throwing you some gift credit via roll20. Enjoy!
Also if you search OCGG on sound cloud there is some pretty awsome music and SFX AND VO stuff for fantasy tabletop games. Lots to go thru but good stuff.
Another place I saw was Syrenscape for more fantasy music and SFX but it's a download on it's own sound board
For ambience rather than music, I suggest using the tracks from <a href="http://tabletopaudio.com/" rel="nofollow">http://tabletopaudio.com/</a> . Most of the tracks are already on soundcloud, too.
I'm very fortunate in that I have a friend who is a composer, he makes music for me and uploads it to SoundCloud (he's not even a player in the game). More generally your best bet is to use SoundCloud's site to search rather than trying to use the Jukebox search.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I have only just looked at the jukebox for the first time today after one of my players decided to play some impromptu music down his mic and effectively, but humorously, ruin the atmosphere i'd carefully cultivated in the session. Generally after a bit of hunting around i found that searching for roll20 gave me most of what i'd need (Tense music scores. atmospheric rain, cave and forest sounds. Inn and town chatter background noise. Screams and goblinesque chattering) but most importantly, and i can't stress this enough, it gave me the "Roll20 - D&D Critical Hit by JJMJester" which will make those rare critical hit occasions all that more special for my players.... may the baby Jebus bless JJMJester!
I use video games soundtracks, skyrim mostly. really efficient.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
I have been using tracks taken from Lord of the Rings Online.
Dan W.
Sheet Author
In addition to the great suggestions above (I wish I were as organized as Razir!) I would strongly recommend music from The Witcher and Conan The Barbarian, particularly for battle scenes. Video games tend to work better (a bit of a generalization) than movie soundtracks because they need to keep a more even temp and feel for the scene they are fitting and thus are better at being looped. Also, I highly recommend the music tidbits at incompetech . Very well organized, giving the tempo and a description of the 'mood' that it's intended for. And they are royalty-free. Very helpful in searching for something that is difficult to describe in words.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I see lot's of great suggestions here, but aren't we pretty much limited to Soundcloud though? I don't believe I can throw my cool movie soundtrack onto my Soundcloud account...
There are ways around it, but, yes we are limited to Soundcloud. there are thousands of tracks there. If you have a vote in the suggestions please support playlists on Soundcloud. It would help to program several hours of music to run through the session, instead of loading them one at a time.
Is the Jukebox getting the folder treatment in the next update?
I'd also love to see music being made available in the marketplace, I know there are a few people who sell RPG specific music on things like DriveThruRPG and I'm sure my composer friend would make some of his music available on here.
Nowebbasic said: Is the Jukebox getting the folder treatment in the next update? Nothing would make me happier if it were. I have so many tracks in my jukebox, from sound effects to music to ambience. Renaming tracks to have some form of organisation works, but it's such a drag having to scroll through the entire list every time I want to change the track.
Dusky said: Nowebbasic said: Is the Jukebox getting the folder treatment in the next update? Nothing would make me happier if it were. I have so many tracks in my jukebox, from sound effects to music to ambience. Renaming tracks to have some form of organisation works, but it's such a drag having to scroll through the entire list every time I want to change the track. Yeah I've got stuff named "Monster Track" or "Light Mood" but combined with SFX it's a nightmare to scroll through it so much.

Edited 1424171433
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I finally got to use my jukebox last night... weirdly though it would automatically play a certain track when selecting a new one... can't for the life of my figure out why but it was certainly interesting prefixing my tense battle music with a high pitched goblin laugh!
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Even if you do not loop a track, you still need to stop a track or it will replay itself when you start another track. It's a weird little 'feature' :&gt; Being able to layer tracks is marvelous IMO, but only when it is what you intended to do.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I did wonder if that was the case... you are now my official suspicion confirmer thanks GenKitty! Can't wait till i get a tense encounter in and inn while it is raining... 3 layered tracks to create cinematic gold!
Tbh I don't use the juke inside Roll20. I used to have an amateur web radio show so I have a pretty good setup. I run all my audio through Ableton live, in which I put all my music & my mic, then I send this all to skype. I have an APC40 to control music and volumes. I'm planning on adding effects and other shizzle.
I havent used the built in system in Roll20 yet. For my con games I often have music. I tend to use either evocative classical (The Planets, Pier Gynt, etc), new age, or movie soundtracks. In general I usually avoid anything with lyrics because they are distracting and often don't entirely fit the actual situation.
Surok
Roll20 Production Team
I take my music very seriously but I have so many tracks it's hard to find a track some times. I like to use video game tracks. <a href="https://soundcloud.com/suroktheslayer/likes" rel="nofollow">https://soundcloud.com/suroktheslayer/likes</a>

Edited 1425188753
Yeah, It's a rudimentary audio mixer. Try mixing together a Gamorrean opera, I attempted to use on my EotE basic campaign. 2 parts pig sounds and 1 part Italian opera. But, I sourced it off of soundcloud. You have to be careful with it, switching maps say from outdoors to indoors. AND Volume, players generally run with headsets, so 10, might be "11" to their ears, then they turn down their rig, if they use voice. It can break the illusion when tree rustling and birds chirping, doesn't immediately change to water droplets and bats screeching. There is a post for page specific audio tracks and /or playlists for battle and calm.
And the link for those posts would be?
So I haven't been playing on here yet but I listen to a lot of instrumentals. Have you guys listened to Philip Glass. His music is very dark an mysterious. I think it'd be perfect. Max Richter has some great intense adventure music for battles.