Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Script Request - Limit the number of units a PC can move a token

Ideally, there would be a macro the DM could execute, which would then allow each PC token to move a specific number of units/squares, which would be dependent on a character attribute or bar stat. Is this possible?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It is possible, in a trivial sense, but could become quite complicated. Some factors to consider: Diagonals: 1 square/unit? Real distance? 5/10 rule? Specific Path length or just distance from start? Difficult/impassible terrain? Switching movement types mid turn? When to reset?
I'd try for the simplistic implementation possible. Maybe folks could modify it for additional features as needed. So no pathfinder 5/10 diagonal movement, 1 square per unit. Distance from current token location. Ignore difficult terrain, but adhere to dynamic light restrict token movement. No switching movement types. Maybe there's a ?{ } that asks DM how many squares that round. Resets when GM hits the button again, basically a round by round indicator.
there is a script out there somewhere in the long forgotten past that will restrict the movement of a token to the radius of a marker tokens aura, and would keep track of movement by reducing the radius of the active marker token by an appropriate amount as you moved. it would also 'track' movement by leaving a trail of markers behind you, so, say, you move two squares up and then shifted one square over while you had a movement of 30 ft, it would first place a marker under your inital location, with an aura of 30ft, the on the first movement place another marker on the board under your token, shifting the aura to the second marker and reducing it by the ten feet you just moved. then when you shifted one left, it would do that again, dropping the aura on the second marker and placing one on the third under where you just dropped your token and reducing it by five feet again. it did it this way to be able to track things like weaving in and out combat and to track direct lines of travel by the GM. was a good script, i still use it for and 3.5 ed games I run. (actually, Aaron, I've been thinking of asking you to put out an addon to your turn tracker script, doing something similar, as the same thing could easily be accomplished with your gold marker, without adding any extra markers to the page, and the level of complexity that that script had isn't entirely needed for a basic indicator of movement ranges.)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yeah... I just need to finish version 2... :)

Edited 1423737919
oh, I know. Its just an addon, to hook the bit about auras into your turn tracker token instead of having like, three separate tokens following the player around :P believe me, I don't want to distract you from your work on the other scripts, I use nearly all of em.

Edited 1423782025
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael H. said: believe me, I don't want to distract you from your work on the other scripts, I use nearly all of em. Hear hear... i'd hate to see Aaron's 'to do' list, i can imagine it being longer than an elder red dragon's... tail! I like the idea of him potentially enhancing the turn order script with a movement tracker though, not that i'm trying to influence anything with my neediness :P
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D I have added a starting location marker already... I checked all my completed scripts into the official repo and increased the size by 2.4 =D I have a dozen or so design documents typed up for various things I want to write, as well as some other ideas floating about as little test scripts, and added to that about 7 scripts I really want to update.... yeah.. no wonder it's so hard to get anything done!!
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think you need to write a script writing script that updates scripts using a script...