Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One of my player makes a campaign unable to chat

When one of my player (Nickname: '꼬량주') joins the game, than it suddenly stops showing the chat. To be specific, only the chat of the player (꼬량주) shows up on the log. Like in the snapshot I uploaded. ( <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/700826/ro_ALQ" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/700826/ro_ALQ</a> , is the player link for the errored campaign) It happens repeatedly when the player (꼬량주) joins the campaign, and the campaign itself stops showing the chat. There is no use even after the player is not on the spot. The campaign just doesn't work after that. So I made a new campaign with other players except the player (꼬량주), than it worked well. He is using chrome but I have no idea which OS he's using (I'll add it when I get to know it.) The player is a member of our team, and we desperately need him to join the play. How can we solve the matter? Thanks.
That's really weird. I have no idea what could cause that, but some things you can try to help narrow down the problem are: Check the chat log from the campaign details page (if everything shows up there, then you know it is something inside the editor view) Try having everyone disable all their add-ons.(so many problems people have come from an add-on they have installed it's crazy) get a console log for everyone in the campaign that includes the moment the player joins.( it could tell the devs a lot about what is going on.)
This is a random question, but can you make sure that his computer's clock is set to the correct time? For some reason his computer is generating unique ID's that are way out of order of where they should be, and that might be what's causing the issue. In addition, are you only seeing the chat messages disappear when you come back to the game later? I'm seeing that in the chat archive for that game all the messages are there, but his messages are always showing up at the very "bottom" of the list...

Edited 1424861027
@ Roger A. I checked chat logs and there are missing parts (He was not talking alone in the snapshot when we actually talked) We will try to get the console log when we gather for the upcoming session (Planned on this Sunday 10:00AM ), and also disable add-ons Thanks for your advice. @ Riley D. I'll tell him to check the computer clock. There are some missing chats in the chat log after the moment the campaign became unable to chat. (The snapshot is taken after I re-launched the campaign). When we actually talked in that time, there were more chats between the player(꼬량주)'s chats. The chats of other players (Including GM) except him has been lost, and still, only the player(꼬량주)'s chat remains. That's why it looks like he's talking himself on the very bottom of the chat list in the snapshot. I mean between the listed(on the bottom) chats of player(꼬량주), other players talked as well. But after coming back later, the chat log is missing all chats of other players. (From the moment a bit earlier we became unable to chat ) And up to now, I can't chat in that errored campaign (Though I can chat in the new campaign I've made).
If you want, I can delete the messages from the "broken" player so you'll be able to chat in the campaign again. However, if he re-joins before we get the clock issues sorted out the same thing will happen again.
@Riley D. He'll be joining my campaign anyway, so there's no need to fix that 'interrupted' campaign before the main issue is solved out. First, I will take care of the 'clock issues' as soon as I can. when is checked, then I will leave a new post reply here. Thank you for your constant care!
@Riley D. The broken player told me that the clock's alright since it's linked with the network. On this Sunday, I'm planning to get the console logs if it happens again. (And try with firefox too) Hope that would help us to solve it...
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
In order to resolve the problem we're going to need to delete that player's messages. Is that alright?
@Steve K. Sure! The broken player started using firefox in new campaign and the problem has not occur yet. Not yet... so I'm a bit afraid of reoccurrence...
The player tried using firefox and the problem didn't happen again. Even though I couldn't figure out why, it's been solved. Thank you for the constant interest of the Dev!

Edited 1425398000
sounds like a unicode problem on chrome. May want to harden Roll20's javascript against it.