Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Quickly add spells to a character(s)?

Im looking for a way to Import a spell into the spell book from the pdf. Or if i cant do that some other way I can easily add spells(and or thier macros) to my campaigns/new characters. Even if I have to type out every spell I am totally ok with that aslong as i can "port" them to new characters. It takes a long time to do this and some times I want to speed it up for my players. Any ideas? If you guys could tell me what you do it would be awsome!
What system? Pathfinder may already, or may soon, have user friendly "add spell info here" blocks. If not the full spell actually in the character sheet itself. Also, copy-&-paste is your friend. Most big name games have SRD's and what-have-you available to help speed up play. Search friendly, copy-able, paste-worthy, and link happy.

Edited 1424979776
5e oh and tanks for the reply!

Edited 1424979833
I don't have access to it so I just use notepad, but could you not make a Handout and populate it will spell macros and use the Transmogrifier to copy it campaign to campaign? You'd still have to copy/paste the actual macros to your Character Sheets Ability or Macros, but they'd be there already. *** Alternatively; could you make a "Grimoire" character, populate its Abilities with your spell macros and export/import it to your Character Vault? *** I only suggest that as trying to copy/paste full spell descriptions and effects tends to make the eyes bleed. I macro just the neccesities and copy the macro to a Notepad file for future use with other characters. (kinda a spell macro database)
Yeah the Grimmoire character isnt a bad idea. I just wish then I didnt have EVERY spell on one character lol might take awhile to scroll through to find the one i want. Would be nice to have an api or something that would allow me to populate my spell book.
Ok so with the spellbook not search-able gimoire idea is rocky, I wish I could make a token with a full spell book and then drag and drop/import certain spells from one character to another. I have seen some api scripts that do something similar for other stats just not the spell book. I am starting to wish, once again, that i knew how to program lol.
Necessity is the mother of invention after all... I won't link it because advertising is frowned on, but check out Javascript: The Good Parts, by Douglas Crockford , check out <a href="http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript" rel="nofollow">http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/javascript</a>, or just download some of the scripts from the API forum and just read them to see how they work. Could you take the grimoire concept and duplicate one for each player who needs it and just go through and check "Show as Macro" for each one you want to use? The actual macros would have to be written up to accomodate queries or @{target} to get your actual player's stats, of course.
I thought about doing that but what if the character is a wizard(example) who knows a lot of spells especially at higher levels his whole screen would be macros. I like the character sheet spell book I think its very good. I just dont want to have my players or I have to enter in all the fields every time.
...compared to writing out (with a pencil, on paper) each spell the character knows, what the 5e sheet has is awesome. Most folks would just write the name and pull the book out when casting. And as a bonus, you have a much higher chance of understanding the player's sloppy handwriting when its typed
There was a script some time back: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1187040/script-s" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1187040/script-s</a>... Due to legal limitations it doesn't have all spells... but if you feel froggy you could add them for your personal use (of course assuming you own the books) and not distribute them.