Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Anyone notice these issues with the 3d Dice?

Hello, My players and I LOVE the 3D dice, but lately we have noticed some issues that have only really been issues in the last few days. 1. First Issue "Lying Dice": When you roll the dice, sometimes the number you roll doesn't match the number on the output screen. This was noticed by the players over and over, and as GM, I sort of poo poo'd it at first, but then I personally started watching the rolls carefully, and the players are right. About 1 in 25 rolls or so don't match the outcome, sometimes its lower, sometimes higher, I haven't noticed a pattern because all the rolls in question were in the middle of games and I don't want to mess around during a game and try to figure it out. I made the rule that only the OUTPUT roll matters, because thats the only roll that I as GM can see with 100% certainty, also, it is the roll used by the macro to determine success or failure. But, of course, my players feel they are being cheated out of good rolls, yada yada, anyway, has anyone else had this problem? 2. Second issue: "Shaky Dice" Sometimes when you roll a dice, it sort of shakes for about 10-30 seconds before coming to a complete stop. Until it comes to a complete stop it doesn't output the number, so sometimes, we are all just sort of staring at a dice shaking, waiting. I can see the number clearly, but if its a macro roll, I still have to wait for it to output the roll to move on. Its a little frustrating, and happens maybe 1 in 15 rolls give or take. Anyone noticed this issue? Of course, the ultimate fix is to just simple turn off the 3d dice, but they are so COOL. 3d dice rolls are what I like the best about roll20, it really feels like you are playing a real table top game. I know the dice roll is just a simply random probability algorithm, but that just doesn't feel like a game, seeing the actual dice roll on the table is more like gaming.
I noticed a significant amount of lag when using 3d dice on my end so I just quit using it. I am also the DM though and tend to just roll dice (as I like the sound going through the mic so the players think something could be happening, or it is happening by chance).
I originally intended to post this to BUGS AND TECHNICAL ISSUES, but I wasn't sure it actually was a bug (happening to other people other than my group). I wanted to get a feel for how many people noticed this issue before calling it a "bug".
@James: Yes, the lag is noticable when multiple people are rolling and I try to either roll or move a token on the board. You get 4 players all rolling for INIT, and the GM rollling and trying to move token markers for battle, and yes, there is significant lag. This is a problem that doesn't bother me as much, because I know that lag is just due to all the actions taking place at once, so we can deal.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
There has been a substantial rework of the 3D dice that's currently live and being tested on the Development server. The final results will address all of the concerns you mentioned above and go live with the Update of Holding.
I have not noticed the lying dice, that's interesting, but the other two issues are something that lead to my decision to turn them off. The final straw was when I found that if I rolled DM dice, even if the roll was being whispered to myself, the players could still see my 3D dice rolls. I do like the way they look though, I would love a way to use them behind the DM screen.
Ok thanks Steve, like i said, i wasnt complaining about the dice roller, i only wanted to get a feel for if my problems were related to the roller, or unique to me alone.
I have to admit, I assumed my players were lying about the "lying dice", because, well, they are liars...lol. But, it turned out to actually be true
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ed S. said: I have not noticed the lying dice, that's interesting, but the other two issues are something that lead to my decision to turn them off. The final straw was when I found that if I rolled DM dice, even if the roll was being whispered to myself, the players could still see my 3D dice rolls. I do like the way they look though, I would love a way to use them behind the DM screen. Ed have you searched the suggestion forum for a thread similar to rolling behind the DM screen? If you have the votes, you can make a suggestion thread if there is not one made.
Moot point I suppose, since the whole system is being overhauled, but in my group there is one player whose dice almost always lie. And I figure the only time they don't is by random chance itself.
There is a player in my group that always lies about his dice. Go figure.