Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Any Interest in Universalis?

That is, the GM-less, story based RPG, put out by Ramshead Publishing? It seems like it would be ideal for online play.
Hmm... What atmosphere is it?

Edited 1425099607
Universalis is a bit of an odd duck. The literal answer to your question is "it depends on the players". A more detailed answer means describing a little of how the game works. No initial setting No initial characters No proprietary characters at all Few initial rules. No game master All these aspects (save game master) are determined as part of initial play, as are initial introduction of initial setting characters. Players have the ability to determine facts about the consensual reality, and the game. Their ability is limited by game coins which are limited resource - but you can gain new coins by participating in the construction of the ongoing plot. The more you advance the plot-line, characters, etc., the more coins you earn, and the more power you have to influence the construction of the "reality". For more detailed reviews/explanations, check out here: <a href="http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10384.phtml" rel="nofollow">http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/10/10384.phtml</a> The setting and the atmosphere are - then - whatever evolves as a synergy between elements that the players introduce. Eventually the setting settles down, story characters are fleshed out, and "scenes" are pitched, and played out - and as they are played out, new facts about characters and places are established, and control of story elements can change hands. Control of any story elements (characters, places, organizations, philosophies, items, etc.) are all "purchasable", and proposed "Facts" about the world can be challenged, and even bid on (how badly do you really want that facet of reality to be part of the game? How badly does another player want to exclude it?). You might "purchase" and control one, or a few, characters, and hold onto them for the whole game - but odds are that control of characters will move around, as people steer characters to add elements to the story that they want. Settings can be really unique, and it can be a fun challenge for players to try and mix what appears initially to be a bizarre set of initial circumstances into a reasonable and coherent setting. Player A: (tossing in a coin) "Post apocalyptic zombie setting" Player B: (tossing in a coin) "In ancient Sumeria" Player C: (tossing in a coin) "Aliens visiting Earth" Player A: "Uhh... what?" But eventually they settle down playing out a setting where fugitive aliens, whose technology is purely biologically based, flee their dying world, and arrive (secretly) on Earth in 4500 B.C., and whose technology accidentally causes re-animation of the dead in ancient Sumer, causing massive chaos and strife in the ancient Mesopotamian civilization. The prist-king Enferu tries to hold the city of Akhad together, while trying to deal with the horrifying plague of the dead, while the evil cult of Nerferu tries to wrest religious control from the god-king's priesthood (secretly working with the Ursoid aliens to halt the zombie horror), and the rival city state of Erfendu threatens to "purge" the "accursed" lands of Akhad to prevent the Gods' curse from spreading to their lands .... It can be a lot of fun, and very creative.
Sounds like a mature take on Ryuutama to be honest.

Edited 1425099978
I hadn't seen Ryuutama before - and just scanned over it now. I can definitely see similarities - although it looks (so far) like Universalis might have a bit more of a "blank slate" at the beginning, as really all rules and aspects are "fair game" (even the core rules) - so long as the players can work out agreements, compromises, or contests about how those rules should change. And there really aren't proprietary charaters in most Univeralis games.
Wow, this is a blast from the past. I've owned Universalis for over 10 years, but never played it. I'd be interested in trying it out. Although it would depend upon day/time/frequency of course. I'm in a couple of other games, so I couldn't do it more than every other week. Were you thinking Roll20, PbP, or a combo of the two?
I'm interested I just hope we have magical girls/boys steampunk or undead involved.
Hadn't really thought about platform, but somewhere live would be best. As for frequency and commitment - that's one of the cool things about the game; it's good for "one offs", and - if you continue a setting - you don't need all, or even the same, players, as there are no owned characters. It makes for really flexible games.
if you want certain plot elements, buy them in ;)
If we could get around 5 people interested, I think we could run it - at least as a one shot. Disclaimer : I've read the rules, and looked through some play logs, but I too have never actually played.
Ah well the funniest sessions are when no one knows WHAT their doing.
Well, if there aren't any other takers, I'd be willing to give it a try with the three of us.
I just hope you guys won't mind what I wanna use to create setting I like lots of fantasy.
I've been itching for some fantasy myself, been doing Jadepunk (wuxia urban fantasy with a little bit of "punk") and pulp lately.
I'm interested...but skeptical of how this would work. I don't have the rule book but...could I join just to see how this would work at all? It sounds interesting. I'll be quiet.
I skimmed through the books and could be interested. Depends on the time of course (I'd need EST evenings).
I am also in EST and should be able to do shorter sessions on week nights (except Wed). Weekends are a bit hectic, but potentially doable with some pre-planning. Every other week, as I mentioned before.
A while back a friend of mine mixed Universalis and Dragon Age into a game where we were all the GM. I have to say it made for a pretty interesting and entertaining campaign while it lasted. So I'm loosely familiar with how Universalis works and might be interested in giving the real version of it a try, depending on the day and time that is ultimately decided upon.
I'm EST too. And maybe we could use Fable as our insperation? Or another game we all know never played DA.

Edited 1425495379
I'm not typically a fantasy fan, but ... what the hell. I'm in the EST - would probably work better on weekend evenings.
Matt said: A while back a friend of mine mixed Universalis and Dragon Age into a game where we were all the GM. I have to say it made for a pretty interesting and entertaining campaign while it lasted. I've been wondering about this. I think Univeralis could be very good for player-interactive world building and meta-plot development - then flip over to more "mainstream" systems for actual PC-specific playing of individual scenes. Then again, there's nothing to prevent introducing a minimalist "regular" style as a "Rules Gimmick" through regular Universalis play, either - say something out of the "One Page RPG" family. In a stereotypical "Dungeon Crawl" the GM would probably be the player who happened to own Control of that location (The Dungeon of Cireneg!). There would probably have to be another "Rule Gimmick" to suspend regular spending of Wealth to assume Control of the Location, for the duration of the Scene (perhaps with the controlling character having to buy exclusive control, or maybe assuming it gratis, so long as all Players are in agreement). Hybrid systems could be very interesting indeed, and certain to sharpen player interest in the larger flow of events in the world, since they are involved in creating and shaping them, independent of what their individual characters might be doing.
Oh well I like Scifi too hmm...