Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[API] sendChat + /talktomyself

Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The GM for my 4e game just recently added HB's power cards script. I decided to update my macros, and wanted to use /talktomyself in order to avoid cluttering up the log. Unfortunately, my !power macros weren't displaying anything to the chat and I thought there was something wrong, until I exited talking-to-myself mode, at which point it worked fine. I assume the problem is that messages generated by the API are being sent by the "API player", but this was entirely unexpected behavior. The sendChat calls in the Power Cards script use one of the following as the sender: The string "HoneyBadger" The empty string The variable TimeStamp , which consists of the current time in HH:mm format and msg.who msg.who
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
While /talktomyself is active API commands don't make it to the API server. This is working as intended. No API will fire while /talktomyself is turned on.

Edited 1426520232
That's now how people expect the command to function. New Command: /talktomyself We realized that sometimes folks want to be able to just do macro testing or other types of commands where they don't want to pollute the chat archive (or annoy other players in-game). There's now a new command for this. Typing "/talktomyself" and hitting Enter will enable an off the record mode, where any commands (including rolls) that you execute will only display for yourself and will not be broadcast to any other players, and in addition will not be stored in the chat archive for the campaign. A special notification will persist in the top-right of the chat input box to remind you that you have this mode active. When you're finished, just type "/talktomyself off" and hit Enter to re-enter the normal mode. It says any commands. Does not say anything about excluding api commands.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Steve K. said: While /talktomyself is active API commands don't make it to the API server. This is working as intended. No API will fire while /talktomyself is turned on. Thinking further, it's an understandable limitation. However, as HB points out, it would be nice to have it documented as intended behavior.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Steve K. said: While /talktomyself is active API commands don't make it to the API server. This is working as intended. No API will fire while /talktomyself is turned on. Having that limitation built into /talktomyself pretty much makes the feature useless to however many of us use powercards. I'm sure there's good reasons for having that limitation, but it is still quite frustrating.