Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Wednesday 3/18/2015 Session Report and XP/Gold

Edited 1426789014
DM SECTION Total Gold and Experience for the adventure was: 24,300gp and 55,050xp. Ramkus, Gorg, Marcus, and Thea each earn: 778gp and 3,550xp All other players each earn: 4,238gp and 8,170xp Ondraedon receives a bonus +10% xp of 817xp for record keeping and 500gp from tale-telling. If you had a companion, you are required to share 1/2 your share of gold with them and can share any amount of XP. If you are a Temple priest, you must additionally tithe 10% of your share of gold to the Temple. NOTE: If you were level drained you are set a halfway to the next level. If you were 6, you are now level 4 but halfway to 5. Make sure to adjust your xp, saving throws, to-hit chart, hit points, and anything else I may be forgetting. *********************************************************************************************************************************** First part of session with 9 people: Descended down north tower to the 4th floor. Found Small Carnelian Cube engraved with runes and richly decorated. Killed 1 Gnoll and charmed the other (who ended up staying near the arch and refused to proceed into the fog). Befriended 6 Scorpions who later ate up 15 Batmen for you guys. Ambushed by 6 Vampires. 2 were slain and 3 were forced to flee. Ramkus, Gorg, Marcus, and Thea left at this time, but receive xp/gold and rolls for what the 2 slain Vampires dropped: 1x +3 Dwarven War Hammer 1x +1 Mithril Armor (Elven-make), which offers faster movement as if unarmored. 1x Mundane Mithril Armor (Elven-make), which offers faster movement as if unarmored. 1x Amulet of Eldrath (sold for gold). 1x Jewelry set with amber stone (sold for gold). Second part of session with 5 people: Cat and mouse with two remaining Vampires, ending with Fireball that caused them to flee. Penetrated the Vampire Throne Room and staked the four remaining vampires. 4x Jewelry set with amber stone (sold for gold). 4x Mundane Mithril Armor (Elven-make), which offers faster movement as if unarmored. 6x Gold Inlaid Coffins 1x Fancy Dinner Set ********************************************************************************************************************************** FREDDY'S WRITEUP Note: This report isn't going to be as detailed as previous versions. I was distracted with homework help (by the kids and wife). Also there was that whole vampire thing that no one got upset over that sort of distracted from what was going on... but here you go: The group decided to go to the palace. The plan was to poke our heads in on the fourth floor, check it out a bit then clear the last room on 3 on our way out. That was the plan... We entered through the tower on the left this time. Grappling hooks were used to gain entry and the party was able to safely climb the tower. The party descended stairs down, we passed a locked door which we determined was an entry to the first floor. A total of 110' later we arrived at the bottom of the tower. At the base of the stairs, the group noticed a 12' ladder in the room, but no other exits. After a quick search by our elves, a secret door was found in the floor. With no dwarf available, one of the mages cast Knock and a door in the floor opened. We used the 12' ladder to descend into the room below. Once inside, and after a quick search, we took the ladder down and the secret door closed. We did some exploring of the secret passages leading out of this room. The ladder was hidden in the first hallway. We then came to a room that had a wall covered in vines and what appeared to be scorch marks. Na'Ral tossed a coin into the room, and an illusion was dispelled exposing an alcove. In the alcove the group found an unlocked chest. A quick check for traps revealed none and the chest was opened. Inside the group found a small Corelian (sp?) cube. It was stowed in the bag of holding and the party moved on. We encountered a room with glowing fruit and a garlic garden (too young for use). At this point Thea tried on her Ring of Invisibility to scout ahead a bit. We eventually came to another room with 2' of fog at floor level. Thea stepped into the fog with no repercussions (other than her silhouette was visible in the fog). Thinking the room was safe, Curtis stuck his head in to get a look. As he looked up to see what was above us he was spotted by a Giant Slug. The party decided to retreat and check another route. As we went though the next to last door, we heard a rasping sound in the hallway behind us. We grabbed our ladder from the hall and re-entered the original room and stowed it there. We went out the door to the west. As we stepped into the hall we noticed a garlic covered trellis/archway to the north, and a foggy hallway beyond that. To the south we noticed 2 4HD Knolls. A brief attempt was made to communicate with them, but was unsuccessful. It was noted that these creatures were wearing necklaces of garlic. 1 Knoll was Held by a cleric, the other was paralyzed by a mage and brutally executed. We continued south and turned a corner to find 6 giant scorpions. Oddly the scorpions did not attack outright, they seemed to be waiting on something. We gave them some rations and the party was undecided as to whether to proceed through the scorpions or to go the other direction. Not wanting scorpions behind us and something else attacking us from the other direction, the party opted to head north instead. But the scorpions followed us anyway. We passed through the archway (some members of the party taking garlic for protection) and moved into the fog. Durus played a joke on the group, but there was no laughter. We came to a door to the west. The door opened and inside we noticed 3 iron rods hanging from the ceiling, and from the iron rods hung 5 bat-men per rod. We exited the room, but the creatures had noticed us and began attacking. We were able to kill one when our new friends the scorpions passed through and showed us how it was done. They were able to collect all 15 creatures from the floors and walls and destroy them. Only one scorpion was lost in the fracas. The scorpions grabbed the bodies of the dead bats and drug them off for feeding time. Now unsure of what to do, the party decided to head south again since we felt it was a bad idea to be in the fog. We were right! We immediately saw before us 6 figures solidifying in the mist. Before us stood Lord Virez and his 5 enchanted/charmed/controlled vampire goons. Protection spells were cast and an attempt was made to turn the vampires. The dice roll was high enough, but the creatures could not be turned since they were being controlled . wearing magical amber amulets similar to those being made on the third floor but slightly stronger (most of them concealed underneath the armor). These amulets were the kind that the DM explained once upon a time: "Glow with a sickly yellow light and nullify turning attempts, dimming as the ability to nullify fades." The vampires were first noticed by Kuroba, he set in to attack and suffered for it. By the end of all combat he was drained down to 1st level. These creatures were able to drain the life of our party members as they struck them with the hammers they were wielding. Chaos ensued. Everything we thought we knew about vampires was shaken. A successful turn that failed? Protection spells that do not work as expected? Level drain through weapons not touch? Silver hits, but doesn't damage? The party fell apart mentally, but we continued to proceed with battle. Thea was able to sling a stone at Virez and remove his Amulet of Eldrath and the gem we thought was controlling the vampires, we were so wrong! For his first move, Lord Virez and his goons were able to charm most of those that tried to physically attack him and his party, and was highly successful. We were now facing 5 vampires and 4 of our own party members. Curtis was rendered unconscious by a series of attacks from our own companions. Ondraedon cast True Seeing, and all was revealed to us. Lord Virez and his companions were being controlled by an even greater darkness deeper in the palace, we were also able to see which of the vampires were controlling our party members, we were able to see the gems on the 5 vampires that were absorbing the spells we were casting , and we were able to see their sanctuary hidden behind the wall in a secret room behind us. The outlook appeared to be grim until Ramkus opted to cast Raise Dead on Lord Virez... and the vampire lord rolled a 1, miserably failing his saving throw. Bursting into a bloody mist and covering the walls, floor, his companions and maybe even a little way up on the 30/40' ceilings Lord Virez was eliminated. Feeling the morale boost the party set in to destroy the 5 remaining vamps. We tried to focus on one at a time to sever the dark vein of magic that was controlling our friends. We destroyed the three remaining that had charm on our companions. The last 2 were contained within a Field of Force that had been cast by Na'Ral. The party then opted to return south and fireball the two remaining vamps. We were almost to the garlic archway when they broke free of the Field of Force and were able to close the distance between us. Our Fireball would be ineffective as this would also mean serious injury (maybe even death) to our party at this distance. So some brief melee attacks were made on them and we retreated beyond the archway. The vampires in their wrath tried to follow, but could not tolerate the level of garlic. So they turned to go back to their coffins to recover, and were met by a Fireball launched by Na'Ral to the end of the hallway. The concussion was sufficient to force the vampires to mist. Ondraedon cast healing spells on Curtis and we pursued the damaged beings to their sanctuary. Using his Wizard Eye, Curtis was able to see that there were no other creatures in the room beyond the wall aside from the 5 that were stowed away in their coffins. Curtis then cast Passwall, and the party were able to enter the room. Stakes were provided for all of the vampires hiding away in their coffins. Being the worst for wear, the party left the palace licking our wounds. Much was lost this day, even though none were "killed". Surely we have now enraged the Queen of this castle!
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Excellent write-up!
Ramkus actually raised dead on one of the remaining 5 and killed it before he left, not to be a blaze or anything. Nice write up, Freddy, I especially like how much Na'Ral's name comes up lol. We killed 5 normal vamps and Virez guys!!! We can do this! And you know how in movies the main group or character has some sort of plan to kill the rebels and take back their planet or infiltrate the secret agency to stop world war three, but the plan NEVER goes right. They run into thing that they didn't expect or know. That is what happened last night. The amulets they were wearing were protecting them from turning, they weren't being controlled by Virez, were they? I thought they were just vampires. But as we have said about magic before, there are some places in Eris where it works differently, and its also possible that the vamps had certain attributes that bypassed the protection? Im not sure, but either way there is no reson for us to attack Steve about it, he had reasons for ruling the way he did, and we should let it go and calm down.
I crossed out the (excusable given the disorder of events last night) misconceptions Freddy had and inserted in my own corrections.

Edited 1426789852
Amanda the Amazon
Sheet Author
Who all got level drained besides Kuroba? I had to leave before the 2nd Raise Dead and all of those sets of spells were set to go off. I would like to point out that with Gorg leaving, there are NO non-ALT PC FIGHTING-MEN left in this campaign. This is a problem. *goes off to roll up a Wizard so there is more for her to do*
I'm also not sure what you guys mean by bypassed protection. The vampires could not bypass the protection vs undead at all, and were totally unable to directly affect anyone within the barrier. Is there still a misunderstanding on how protection from chaos 10' radius or protection from undead 10' radius works? In case no one has seen it before because it is in Monsters & Treasures: Protection from Undead Scroll is useable by any class as long as they are able to read. The spell will protect the person and those around him in a 10' radius from a number of Undead according to their Hit Dice: 1-3HD: 2d12 effected 4-5HD 2d6 effected 6+HD 1d6 effected duration of spell is 6 turns (1 hour). DM Addition: All protection spells are centered on the caster, lasting even upon death, but will expire the moment someone within that 10' radius breaks the "circle" by taking an action which directly effects what the spell is protecting you from; i.e. protect vs. undead and attacking an undead, protect vs. chaos and attacking a pure chaotic magic/summoned planar creature, protection vs. lycanthropes and attacking a lycanthrope, etc.
Guys, can Ka'Gron please have the +3 Dwarven Hammer and the +1 Mythril? I can pay the group for them or buy it off of whoever wins it in te roll off. I can go without the +1 mythril since we have so much regular mythril, but I really want that hammer, Plus he is the only Dwarf pc we know.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's better than that +2 spear Gorg has been carrying around forever and after getting his 20-roll on the bag of holding ganked by someone that already has one, I will be rolling for it. If I win it, I will trade it for something of equal or better value.
I don't mind corrections/additions. You're not going to offend me, just please try to not be over-critical. I know I miss things and get names wrong, mostly because I'm listening to what is going on and forget to jot down a note. Sorry I miss things because I am trying to have fun and enjoy the game, and I do tend to enjoy an adult beverage or two while questing! Typically right after I hit submit I remember a thing or two; Curtis cast Strength on Gorg so he was the Brute Force again, Durus had Striking going... some of it is left out just because I'm not an expert stenographer and some is just because I want to keep the report "short". Don't feel ashamed to put an Atta Boy in here for something you did. Except you Ramkus, we're all tired of your awesomeness. Anyone without magic armor should make sure to grab one of the " 6x Mundane Mithril Armor (Elven-make), which offers faster movement as if unarmored ." Mundane or not, being able to keep ahead of that giant slug IS a big deal! I wasn't aware that Protection from Undead had a 10' rad to it as well. If I'm standing right next to Curtis w/ Protection of Chaos on, does anyone within 10' benefit from both? Despite the quarreling during the session... we beat these guys down. I for one had this plugged as the end for some or all of us, but we banded together and worked it out. There's always something bigger and badder out there, but we seem to support each other well. Cards were stacked against us last night but we went all-in and came out victorious.
I figured those last two vamps where going to be cake being stuck in narals box and all. Good job everyone. I also went til midnight eastern time which is actually an hour past the bedtime my wife gave me
Jesse A. said: Guys, can Ka'Gron please have the +3 Dwarven Hammer and the +1 Mythril? I can pay the group for them or buy it off of whoever wins it in te roll off. I can go without the +1 mythril since we have so much regular mythril, but I really want that hammer, Plus he is the only Dwarf pc we know. Wait, you want all of the cool magic items that were found last night to go to a character you don't play anymore? Ummm....no. I'd say the +1 Mithril should go to Loreille since she can wear it as an Elf and it makes her much less squishy.
Well Naral will still roll for it, and I can always maybe buy it off of whoever gets it when Ka'Gron gets back. I still want some mythril for Naral though.
Rich S. said: an hour past the bedtime my wife gave me I am sorry for the loss of your manhood Rich.
All the mithril elven armor can be worn by elves even as a magic user, however none of it can be worn by non-elf magic-users or thieves. For thieves this is because it still makes noise and is very shiny, for magic-users this is because you guys suck at wearing armor and always put at least one strap in the wrong hole and goddammit Tina you fat lard.
Awww :(
Jesse A. said: Rich S. said: an hour past the bedtime my wife gave me I am sorry for the loss of your manhood Rich. I gave it a proper burial at sea. Words were said. It was a nice service.
CountingWizard said: All the mithril elven armor can be worn by elves even as a magic user, however none of it can be worn by non-elf magic-users or thieves. For thieves this is because it still makes noise and is very shiny, for magic-users this is because you guys suck at wearing armor and always put at least one strap in the wrong hole and goddammit Tina you fat lard. Magic-Users suck at wearing armor because they don't know how to strap and Tina is a fat lard? [I'm hoping Tina is your cat or dog or hamster or something] Thea has not given up hope that she may someday find magical leather armor or at least something that makes her AC better, but she knows she will probably die of hobbit old age before that happens. :)
Rich S. said: Jesse A. said: Rich S. said: an hour past the bedtime my wife gave me I am sorry for the loss of your manhood Rich. I gave it a proper burial at sea. Words were said. It was a nice service. Its Spring Break and I'm sure you want to party like you were back in college, hence your curfew :-p
Amanda the Amazon said: CountingWizard said: All the mithril elven armor can be worn by elves even as a magic user, however none of it can be worn by non-elf magic-users or thieves. For thieves this is because it still makes noise and is very shiny, for magic-users this is because you guys suck at wearing armor and always put at least one strap in the wrong hole and goddammit Tina you fat lard. Magic-Users suck at wearing armor because they don't know how to strap and Tina is a fat lard? [I'm hoping Tina is your cat or dog or hamster or something] Thea has not given up hope that she may someday find magical leather armor or at least something that makes her AC better, but she knows she will probably die of hobbit old age before that happens. :) Tina is a Llama.
Napoleon Dynamite Amanda. Your mom goes to college.
Jesse A. said: Well Naral will still roll for it, and I can always maybe buy it off of whoever gets it when Ka'Gron gets back. I still want some mythril for Naral though Can Magic Users even use Dwarven Warhammers? I believe that if your character cannot use it, it should not be able to roll for it. Now if Kagron was there it with the party you would have every right to roll for it. But simply speaking you are a magic user, you typically never want to use melee in the first place, simply because Your chance to hit is the lowest of all the three classes.
Class doesn't matter, you can roll for anything, And plus Naral is using a giant battleaxe atm, but thats magic meant to e used by weak people. And Ka'Gron lost his magic sword and doesn't have a magic weapon, this would e perfect for him when he comes back since he is the only dwarf pc we have, its a plus 3 hammer to you, but only a dwarf can use its full power.
And you realize that I wouldn't just hoard it away from you guys if I do get the hammer, right? I would pick someone to use it, probably some cleric or fighter that is high level, and they can give you their old magic weapon maybe. And it comes with a few rules, like don't attack things that can destroy magic items.
My main issue with the myriad of unexpected interpretations stemmed from them being both unexpected and hand-waved rather than explained. Our characters, in game, had studied and specific knowledge of vampires and their abilities. The amber stones were expected, based on knowledge of the dungeon and it's inhabitants. If it was known that our characters knew stores of information regarding vampires, couldn't we have had a source text or primer available? There was no reason for us to be surprised by these issues. Lorielle wants to roll on the +1 elven Mithril and the fancy dinner set.. Kuroba is a huge turd about armor so her current +1 elven plate could become available. I will try to convince him to wear some mundane mithril by explaining to him that it will not hamper his movements. I'd love to see Gorg with a +3 hammer, striking, strength, and haste.
James F. said: My main issue with the myriad of unexpected interpretations stemmed from them being both unexpected and hand-waved rather than explained. Our characters, in game, had studied and specific knowledge of vampires and their abilities. The amber stones were expected, based on knowledge of the dungeon and it's inhabitants. If it was known that our characters knew stores of information regarding vampires, couldn't we have had a source text or primer available? There was no reason for us to be surprised by these issues. Lorielle wants to roll on the +1 elven Mithril and the fancy dinner set.. Kuroba is a huge turd about armor so her current +1 elven plate could become available. I will try to convince him to wear some mundane mithril by explaining to him that it will not hamper his movements. I'd love to see Gorg with a +3 hammer, striking, strength, and haste. Maybe you can bat your eyelashes at him ;)
Marcus wants to roll for the hammer the plus one mithril and the mundane mithril if he doesn't win the plus one. In my opinion no one has any excuse for arguing with the DM. Steve has earned our trust by being fair and consistent and open to discussion on a lot of things. He is trying to make a fun campaign for everyone and he and Norm have done a great job. If we trust the DM we need to accept what he presents to us. Even the low grade day to day bitching is annoying to listen to. The heated argument from last Wednesday is totally unacceptable. Complaining about the DM's presentation ruins the game for everyone. If someone has a problem with Steve's sessions then don't join, but don't show up and make 5 or 8 other people listen to childish whining. It's actually agains the campaign rules that are posted on the campaign page. Just my opinion. DM EDIT: Fixed double post.
True, but I value everyone that plays and James is the one who had the most problems with it and I don't want to run him off. I think there should be a formal complaint thread and if you have issues with something just go make a complaint and try not to interrupt the game.
I don't have a problem with James and wouldn't want to run him off either. However, the in-game bitching, on other people's time, against the stated rules we all agreed to, should not ever happen again. I even think the low-level snarky bitching about the DM should be banned because no one wants to listen to it and no one should have to. It's whining. James never struck me as a complainer, I'm not saying he is the problem per se, I have always liked playing with him, but the incident raised an important issue: all bitching must be banned! Play or don't play but don't log on and complain. We lost one of our DMs this week, the other is very busy and has little time to prepare adventures for us. When he goes to the trouble to plan out an adventure for us, with his busy schedule, no one should have any complaints or ruin it for those who want to play. You have a good idea Jesse about the complaint thread, at least that will keep the rest of us from having to listen to it in game. Most of us except total nubes have had a history of other role playing experiences, some even on PE. However, a player's past experiences are irrelevant to the game Steve is running now! If a red dragon pops up and starts breathing acid or showing other non-red dragon abilities, no one cares that you happen to know red dragon's don't breathe acid! This one apparently does! STFU and play! That's all I'm saying.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Whoa - we lost a DM? Or are you just talking about the skipped session this week? Personally, speaking as a DM, if you have a complaint with a DM just hold off until the end of the session and express your concerns through a private message. If you're *really* upset, simply log off and take a break, then send the private message. A good DM will want to hear your complaints but,for the love of Krotus, not during the game!
On Friday night, Norm announced that he was no longer DMing the Friday sessions for awhile or longer. He has trouble making the game on time and has other warm-weather activities to pursue. I was referring to that announcement. If I am wrong on that, awesome, Norm is a great DM but I am pretty sure he was serious. Let me know if its not true!
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah, okay. I probably just missed it since Friday was busy for us at the casa. That's too bad, since I can't make the Wed games anymore.
:'(
Maybe you want I move it to Fridays again?
That would be awesome now that Norm is taking a hiatus.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My Fridays are usually free when Norm's game isn't going.
Hey, Steven, would you be able to calculate the amount of scales gathered from a 120 foot or longer giant snake? And also the sell price of all the meat and bones? I just want a lot of scales and some of the poison if any. Norm hasn't gotten back to me on the snake dismantling.
Was it an aquatic/marine snake or land snake?. You wouldn't use snake scales, they are brittle and break easily individually. What would be of more value would be a snake-skin; it would be about as strong as leather but prettier.

Edited 1427920060
Cool, that then. Keep in mind it was 8 feet in diameter and the only thing that broke the scales were spells. They may be magic in some way, due to the fact that it was only hurt by magic items and spells. Maybe we can make Thea that +1 armor she always dreamed of lol
CountingWizard said: Was it an aquatic/marine snake or land snake?. You wouldn't use snake scales, they are brittle and break easily individually. What would be of more value would be a snake-skin; it would be about as strong as leather but prettier. Yea this was a giant magical snake that had a dude living inside his head.
Kevin the Barbarian
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It did live in a swamp-like pool, I think.
I would be down with Friday games again. Wednesdays I am always late for and can't stay til the end sometimes. Also, that sucks that Norm is taking a hiatus... But if hosting is like burning you guys out why not like... alternate Fridays so Norm and Steven can divide the weeks and what not, or maybe 1 week a month during the summer be a Norm game if he wants his summer fun? Anyway just a suggestion. I am totally cool with Vampire Queen Fridays again.
Ka'Gron is grabbing a Mythril set, one of the Javelins and 2 of the 2d6 healing potions. of which there are now 5 after i take mine.